Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

The War Against Normal People by Andrew Yang
    Hillbilly Elegy on deck

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The War Against Normal People by Andrew Yang
    Hillbilly Elegy on deck
    I've read HE for my dissertation. I might suggest something that gives a more balanced view, like Li'l Abner or Elizabeth Catte's What You are Getting Wrong about Appalachia.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I have been continuing on with my reading of American History by following the Presidential line. I am up to the Civil War now. I read a biography on all of the "non-descript" Presidents that came along in the years before Lincoln. To say the least they were not up to the challenge of the times. Buchanan,my goodness, what horrible President. He basically did nothing while the country was falling apart all around him. I have a bunch of books on the Civil War on my Kindle. I am starting out soon with A. Lincoln by Ronald White. It's considered one of the better biographies on Lincoln. I read Carl Sandburg's two volume set many years ago and thought it was excellent.
    While looking for digital books on these "non-descript" Presidents I ran across this blog site that is below. This fellow went on a pilgrimage of reading biographies of every President and blogged about each book he read. It's quite impressive to say the least. He did this all of this in about 7 years, IIRC. I have found it a good source to see what is out there on every President and what books are best. The one I have picked out for Lincoln, he ranked in a four way tie for best under a traditional biography for Lincoln. He had Team of Rivals as best non-traditional and 2nd best book he had read in his entire journey. I purchased it on his recommendation and is on my list during the Civil War period.

https://bestpresidentialbios.com/

I am currently reading Uncle Tom's Cabin which falls into the pre Civil War line. I can certainly see how this book turned many people's opinion about slavery.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

marcshoe (10-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I've read HE for my dissertation. I might suggest something that gives a more balanced view, like Li'l Abner or Elizabeth Catte's What You are Getting Wrong about Appalachia.
    Finally getting around to Nancy Isenberg's White Trash. Pretty fascination stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I've been trying to knock out some of the great American books that I've never read—here are a few of my favorites from the year:

Dune
    The Right Stuff
    In Cold Blood
    All the King's Men
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    The Corrections

I'd be curious to hear some other folks' favorite American novels (or novel/history hybrids) to find some more gaps in my reading.
    Dune is a top 5 book for me
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dune is a top 5 book for me
    Are the sequels worth diving into?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Are the sequels worth diving into?
    Nah. I’ve tried, they don’t matter.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

WildcatFan (10-24-2019)

"Quichotte" by Salman Rushdie

fantastic
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Currently reading a collection of essay on love. I admit, it's somewhat strange and sappy! I hate this season, despite myself.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    "Quichotte" by Salman Rushdie

fantastic
    Oh interesting, I read some pretty damning reviews. His stuff is all over the map for me.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I've been trying to knock out some of the great American books that I've never read—here are a few of my favorites from the year:

The Right Stuff
    All the King's Men

I'd be curious to hear some other folks' favorite American novels (or novel/history hybrids) to find some more gaps in my reading.
    Two all-time favorites for me.

Not sure either qualifies as great American novels, but John Williams's "Stoner" and Nabokov's "Ada or Ardor" are some others that I've always loved.

15. Likes:

Betterread (10-29-2019),WildcatFan (10-29-2019)

The Yearling
    A History of the World in 100 Objects - Neil MacGregor
    The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams - Bradlee Jr.
    Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL - Jeff Pearlman

Started Malcolm Gladwell's Talking to Strangers today.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

A Better Man...the latest installment in tbe Louise Perry Armand Gamache series.

Turn Off Ads?