Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-15-2017),WrongVerb (10-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: California Fires

Just saw on the news that Wrongverb's area or at least part of it has evacuated. Hope he us fine. As for me my area has been touch and go for a while, but looks like we'll be fine. Still really smokey and trying to provide assistance where I can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wrongverb is fine. Little on edge here lately sorry if anyone became alarmed by my update.
    Last edited by NoCalRed; 10-13-2017 at 12:20 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Yes, I'm good and our area isn't threatened for the time being. Just going a little stir crazy having to stay so close to home lately.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

dougdirt (10-13-2017),Kingspoint (10-15-2017),RiverRat13 (10-15-2017),Rojo (10-13-2017)

This video gives some idea of how much devastation these fires have wrought:

Last edited by WrongVerb; 10-15-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

My heart goes out to all of you impacted by these fires. We've been on evacuation notice here in Montana before, when winds suddenly shifted and stopped the fire from proceeding northwest and the fire was then able to be contained. We live a half-mile from any trees, but fields like ours were quickly going up in flames.

I've never seen so many structures burn as is happening in California. The smoke here this summer was awful for long periods of time but nothing like what is going on there. It is unacceptable that when I go to CNN to catch updates, they are talking unceasingly about NFL players taking a knee.

Hey, look at this shiny object over here!

Stay safe!

9. Likes:

Redsfaithful (10-16-2017)

So many of these stories are just horrific. I'm sure people have read the one about the couple who rode it out in a swimming pool. Then I read about another couple who tried the same thing - the man lived with severe burns, his wife died in his arms.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-16-2017)

Just read about the elderly couple in the pool. Brutal. Particularly brutal because for some reason that family all tried to drive out of there separately. Someone should have put their 75 year old parents in their car with them.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (10-16-2017),RedsfaninMT (10-15-2017),WrongVerb (10-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Just read about the elderly couple in the pool. Brutal. Particularly brutal because for some reason that family all tried to drive out of there separately. Someone should have put their 75 year old parents in their car with them.
    And neighbors left so many elderly.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Father, son blamed for California wildfire out on lower bail

PLACERVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A father and son charged with sparking a devastating Northern California wildfire that destroyed about 1,000 homes near Lake Tahoe earlier this year are out of jail after a judge vastly reduced their bail, largely rejecting prosecutors’ arguments that the duo posed a flight risk.

Travis Shane Smith, 32, had his $1 million bail reduced to $50,000 and his father, David Scott Smith, 66, had his $1 million bail reduced to $25,000 on Monday after their attorneys argued the men had no criminal history and no reason to leave behind their families, The Sacramento Bee reported.

The Smiths were arrested Dec. 8 and charged in El Dorado County with recklessly starting a fire and illegal possession of a silencer. Travis Smith is also charged with illegal conversion or manufacture of a machine gun.
    https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...on-lower-bail/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Father, son blamed for California wildfire out on lower bail

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...on-lower-bail/
    Cool. Good to see the new system continues to work well.

Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Kansas has the fires now. When they say it's going to be windy in Kansas, they MEAN it, because there's always wind. High wind days are nuts.

Also, I thought we were FOR cash bail reform. No?

Turn Off Ads?