Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Fires

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

California Fires

Well, things exploded here in wine country in the last 18 hours. This time yesterday things were fine. Now over 60,000 acres have burned, including some historic wineries. Nothing is yet contained.

Significant damage has also been done to the city of Santa Rosa. The Charles Schultz museum is safe at the moment,, however.

Now there's a major wildfire in Anaheim by L.A. Completely out of control and moving into heavily populated areas.

Just nuts.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: California Fires

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Well, things exploded here in wine country in the last 18 hours. This time yesterday things were fine. Now over 60,000 acres have burned, including some historic wineries. Nothing is yet contained.

Significant damage has also been done to the city of Santa Rosa. The Charles Schultz museum is safe at the moment,, however.

Now there's a major wildfire in Anaheim by L.A. Completely out of control and moving into heavily populated areas.

Just nuts.
    I'm in Santa Rosa and it's awful

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (10-09-2017),Redsfaithful (10-09-2017),WrongVerb (10-09-2017)

Obviously not the biggest issue...but it would have been pretty tough to play the Safeway Open if this fire had come a day earlier.

The smoke was so bad in SF, that I woke up in the middle of the night thinking MY house was on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed View Post

You safe? My wife lived off Range road several years ago, which was naively toasted today.

This might be what's left of the Coffee Park area:

Attachment 12884
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The smoke was so bad in SF, that I woke up in the middle of the night thinking MY house was on fire.
    I've been up since 4:30 for the same reason. Currently keeping an eye on fire moving a couple miles north of here. Looks like it's moving west but could change direction. Might be bugging out soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Obviously not the biggest issue...but it would have been pretty tough to play the Safeway Open if this fire had come a day earlier.

The resort suffered heavy damage and 15+ homes in that immediate area have been destroyed.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...h-12263721.php

That map is insane.

That is one of the truly beautiful areas we have, such a shame. Stay safe all.

You safe? My wife lived off Range road several years ago, which was naively toasted today.

This might be what's left of the Coffee Park area:

Attachment 12884
    I used to live down the street from Coffey park. I'm in the south part of the city mow. We're fine for now, but the air is filled with smoke and ashes are falling around us.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed View Post

My friend is all queued up in Napa to escape, says its a mess

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Yeah that's the way it's been here since the Gorge fire

Totally ignorant here but when we are talking about these fires spreading thru developed areas how does it spread exactly?

Tree to tree to tree...?
    Embers floating and catching on elsewhere?
    Something else...just wondering the main way these things spread.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Totally ignorant here but when we are talking about these fires spreading thru developed areas how does it spread exactly?

Tree to tree to tree...?
    Embers, tree to tree and wind. It's so dry too, you really have to experience the wind /dry to get a sense of how crazy it is

14. Likes:

kaldaniels (10-09-2017),WrongVerb (10-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Tree to tree to tree...?
    It was extremely windy last night. This started by a small brush fire out by calistoga then the wind gusts reach almost 70 miles an hour blowing embers all over and carrying them into the city. And like woy said it's really dry here.

Absolutely, crazy. Gotta hope the winds die down.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Absolutely, crazy. Gotta hope the winds die down.
    They said the winds should be better today to hopefully help the firefighters but tomorrow looks like another bad day out there with gusty winds expected again

These fires are continuing to grow and move. Parts of Sonoma Valley have been evacuated and the historic town of Sonoma itself is threatened. Parts of Napa are under advisory that they may need to evacuate soon.

If the fire makes a move to the south, we will have to go as well.

Turn Off Ads?