Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Weinstein Movies/Shows

Harvey Weinstein Movies/Shows

Would you watch Weinstein's movies/shows in the future (assuming he finds/creates another platform to produce them)? Personally, if it's good, I would. I'd watch a Mel Gibson movie, too, if it was good. I tend to separate the art from the artist. I suspect a lot of the artists whose movies, shows, music, etc. I enjoy are somewhere on the spectrum from garden variety weird, to completely politically at odds with me, to loathsome human beings. I try not to get caught up in the "celebrity culture" (impossible not to fail there at times) and worry about the kinds of people these guys (and gals) are. To me, that's generally irrelevant.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-11-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Harvey Weinstein Movies/Shows

It's a personal choice.

I'm not a movie completist that has to watch every new movie, so I already am selective with what I go see. It's very easy for me to avoid movies that feature individuals who get outed as reprehensible human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I tend to separate the art from the artist.
    I generally do as well but I have exceptions. I'm a big film fan but I haven't watched any Polanski films because I do feel rather strongly that he's a bad person. I'll watch older Mel Gibson stuff but I don't really have any desire to see anything new of his.

With Weinstein, I don't think it will change much for me as he's not the director or actor, and I tend to doubt he'll get much future work of note anyway.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I generally do as well but I have exceptions. I'm a big film fan but I haven't watched any Polanski films because I do feel rather strongly that he's a bad person. I'll watch older Mel Gibson stuff but I don't really have any desire to see anything new of his.

With Weinstein, I don't think it will change much for me as he's not the director or actor, and I tend to doubt he'll get much future work of note anyway.
    I think the eventual story will be about the network of people around Weinstein who knew what he was doing and covered for him actively or passively. Ben Affleck was already called out by Rose McGowan, who Weinstein sexually assaulted, for trying to distance himself from Weinstein and saying he had no idea what he had done. Weinstein movies have a bigger stink on them for me because of that network of actors and other executives covering for him.

I'm not enough of a movie guy to even know a Harvey Weinstein movie from a Harvey Fierstein. I rarely see movies but who directs them has no bearing on my decision.

I still watch The Cosby Show
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

9. Likes:

Boston Red (10-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I still watch The Cosby Show
    Cosby Show is still awesome.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It barely registers for me who the producer of a movie was. I'll probably continue being clueless.

That said, Tom, you ought to see Chinatown at least once.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

12. Likes:

Dom Heffner (10-11-2017),marcshoe (12-06-2017)

I usually never know who the producer/director or any others are behind the scenes of a movie. So more than likely I would be watching something he was involved in.

Of course actors are different. They are front and center. That's why I don't think I could ever watch anything Cosby was in. I would just start thinking about what he did and it would just turn off whatever comedy he had.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Harvey Weinstein has never made a movie or show in his life.

Who cares about the money and marketing guys?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

15. Likes:

Rojo (10-11-2017),westofyou (10-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post

That said, Tom, you ought to see Chinatown at least once.
    Lord yes, do it today

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (10-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Frankly, if you're going to have a moral objection to watching a movie, the money guys are the ones you should care about most.

19. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-13-2017)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Harvey Weinstein has never made a movie or show in his life.

Producer can mean anything and everything. Sometimes, it's a guy in Italy whose investment group decides to put money towards a movie (easy to write off and ignore) and, sometimes, it's a guy involved in steering a project and works more closely with the actors and crew (harder for me to ignore and write off). Hearing about how he used his position and power to assault and harass women pretty openly and how his assistants helped set those situations up and actors knew about it and said nothing gives me little motivation to try and argue that projects he's affiliated with are entities cleanly separate from his behavior. Also, it's still relatively silent when it comes to people who worked closely with Weinstein and that leaves space for me to wonder if part of that silence is that others in the same circles, including actors and recognizable directors/producers/writers, were also behaving similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Also, it's still relatively silent when it comes to people who worked closely with Weinstein and that leaves space for me to wonder if part of that silence is that others in the same circles, including actors and recognizable directors/producers/writers, were also behaving similarly.
    The Corey Feldman thing?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The Corey Feldman thing?
    I have a vague memory of that. Was it like a child star sex thing? If so, I'm not referencing that specifically.

I'm just very curious how people in Weinstein's circles try to get out of this clean. I'm certain there are people who knew his behavior and who did good work to try and keep sets safe from him but, for a plethora of reasons, never made it public. And I'm certain there are people who matched his behavior and partook in the good old boy sexual assault and harassment. I'm keeping my ears open to hear how it shakes out beyond just him.

Turn Off Ads?