Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! #7

Re: Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! #7

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    How far has a supposedly intense rivalry fallen and faded into history (and how wrecked was the train during this coaching search)?

The new vols HC, will actually be coaching for Bama trying his best to help Bama win a championship while also fitting in some time to recruit for the vols and put together the vols coaching staff....

Yep...vols fans...revel in that reality.

Oh and better hide your coeds.... Jeremy is in town (well, except for when he isnt).
    An outstanding hire and he's many times better than Greg Schiano.

247 named Jeremy Pruitt Recruiter of the Year in 2012 and 2013. He won a national title at FSU in 2013 and helped 10 of 11 starters to become NFL draft picks. He was DB coach at Bama in 2011 and 2012 for two more national titles.

One of the things I love is that he's got all kinds of ties to the south. He's coached at Alabama, Florida State, Georgia in the past ten yrs and he played college ball in the state of Tennessee at Middle Tenn St. He played QB in high school for his Dad who was a high school coach and was All State his Jr and Sr yrs.. He was switched to defense in college. So he has a backround on both sides of the ball.

In his only season as Florida State's defensive coordinator, his defense was 1st in the nation in scoring defense (10.7 ppg), 3rd in the nation in total defense (248.2 ypg), 2nd in the nation in passing defense, and 1st in the nation in interceptions. We all know how his defenses have fared in his 2 yrs at Alabama.

There's also the issue of asst coaches. Word is that they've hired Tyson Helton, the QBs coach/passing game coordinator at USC. Considering that USC has the #1 or 2 ranked QB in the nation right now, that looks great for recruiting and says a lot for the offense which I like. It's kind of an up tempo pro style offense:

USC offensive tackle Zach Banner likes the smash and gun because its physical and fast style taxes defenses within a scheme favored by the NFL — something Banner says resonates with recruits. His coach, Clay Helton, sees other advantages to an up-tempo pro-style combination. “Part of the pro-style system is to be able to call two plays and have your quarterback get you in the right one,” Helton said. “What I like about the no-huddle is the ability to see the defense and them not know whether you’re going fast or whether you’re just trying to get to the right play. I think you can do both.”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...read/89253980/

As for him doing double duty till the playoffs are over, that's the norm right now. That's how Kirby Smart did it when he left Alabama for UGa.

It's a hire that's oodles better than Schiano who didn't have nearly the southern connections that Pruitt has. Looks like Fulmer got it right.

Pruitt isn't big into vegetables:

As his dinner companion drizzled a sauce on the green vegetable, Pruitt can be heard asking, “What is that?”

When he’s told it’s asparagus, Pruitt says “I ain’t ever heard of that.”

The man isn’t here for any leafy malarky, and I respect that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    An outstanding hire and he's many times better than Greg Schiano.

247 named Jeremy Pruitt Recruiter of the Year in 2012 and 2013. He won a national title at FSU in 2013 and helped 10 of 11 starters to become NFL draft picks. He was DB coach at Bama in 2011 and 2012 for two more national titles.

One of the things I love is that he's got all kinds of ties to the south. He's coached at Alabama, Florida State, Georgia in the past ten yrs and he played college ball in the state of Tennessee at Middle Tenn St. He played QB in high school for his Dad who was a high school coach and was All State his Jr and Sr yrs.. He was switched to defense in college. So he has a backround on both sides of the ball.

In his only season as Florida State's defensive coordinator, his defense was 1st in the nation in scoring defense (10.7 ppg), 3rd in the nation in total defense (248.2 ypg), 2nd in the nation in passing defense, and 1st in the nation in interceptions. We all know how his defenses have fared in his 2 yrs at Alabama.

There's also the issue of asst coaches. Word is that they've hired Tyson Helton, the QBs coach/passing game coordinator at USC. Considering that USC has the #1 or 2 ranked QB in the nation right now, that looks great for recruiting and says a lot for the offense which I like. It's kind of an up tempo pro style offense:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...read/89253980/

As for him doing double duty till the playoffs are over, that's the norm right now. That's how Kirby Smart did it when he left Alabama for UGa.

It's a hire that's oodles better than Schiano who didn't have nearly the southern connections that Pruitt has. Looks like Fulmer got it right.

Pruitt isn't big into vegetables:
    Yet he is not a guy without personal baggage. Rumors swirled when he made that odd looking lateral move from FSU to Georgia. Also reportedly didn't get along with the Georgia staff and was forced out there. No doubt he is a good football guy and had outstanding success as a DC. Whether he makes a good head coach remains to be seen.

Personally, I'd feel better about Schiano.

5. Likes:

bucksfan2 (12-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Yet he is not a guy without personal baggage. Rumors swirled when he made that odd looking lateral move from FSU to Georgia. Also reportedly didn't get along with the Georgia staff and was forced out there. No doubt he is a good football guy and had outstanding success as a DC. Whether he makes a good head coach remains to be seen.
    Yeah he's obviously a good coordinator and has had success at every stop, but he does seem like a bit of a scumbag. They are just rumors, but the affair thing and the hitting another coach in the head with a football thing aren't really the best things you want floating around.

Pruitt doesn't strike me as a huge upgrade over Schiano, but he is less toxic.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-07-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Prediction...it aint ultimately gonna end well.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah he's obviously a good coordinator and has had success at every stop, but he does seem like a bit of a scumbag. They are just rumors, but the affair thing and the hitting another coach in the head with a football thing aren't really the best things you want floating around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Personally, I'd feel better about Schiano.
    Well with Schiano they weren't rumors. His time in Tampa Bay was well documented. I don't at all see how Schiano would operate a team in the south. Butch's way was to bring his midwestern buddies down there with him and we all know how that turned out.

Prediction...it aint ultimately gonna end well.
    Butch Jones ended with an 0-8 SEC record with losses to Missouri, Kentucky and Vanderbilt. You can end any worse than that. Next step is to beat the teams you're supposed to beat and that'll propel you into a Bowl game where you can beat up on a slow, prodding Big Ten team. After they do that then they can work towards winning some SEC East titles.

Simply put: they've already hit rock bottom. There's nowhere to go but up from here. He's not going to get a preseason game to work out the kinks in his new system. They open next yr against West Virginia. That's a tough draw.

The Vols already have their defensive coordinator too. He's the Georgia LB's coach and they're already worried in Georgia that he'll take some top recruits with him:

Kevin Sherrer, the only holdover from Mark Richt’s final coaching staff at Georgia, is set to leave and re-join the man that brought him to Athens.

Sherrer will leave UGA to become the defensive coordinator for Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee, according to Sports Illustrated’s Bruce Feldman. The news has not been immediately confirmed by head coach Kirby Smart or the team.

There was also no indication whether Sherrer will stay with the team through Georgia’s run in the playoffs. UGA plays Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, with the winner advancing to the national championship a week later. For what it’s worth, Pruitt will continue coaching the Alabama defense, which plays in the other national semifinal.

There could end up being recruiting implications for Georgia: Sherrer is the lead recruiter on five-star outside linebacker commit Adam Anderson, four-star OLB commit Azeez Ojulari and five-star defensive end target Benton Cox.

Anderson said “not really” on Thursday night when asked if Sherrer’s departure would have an effect on his status.

Sherrer was the lead recruiter for current Georgia players such as defensive lineman Tyler Clark and Julian Rochester and outside linebacker Robert Beal.
    https://www.dawgnation.com/football/...rgia-tennessee

This isn't taking Pruitt long to fill out his staff

Haha, “Anderson said ‘not really’l
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Very impressive staff with tons of SEC experience.

He also pawned off the D-line coach from Florida, Chris Rumph. Looks like he was one of the few guys who new coach Dan Mullen wanted to keep. This goes to Pruitt's salesmanship and charisma. Why would a guy choose Knoxville over Florida and Dan Mullen? I doubt he's getting much, if any, increase in salary.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida’s unsettled coaching staff reportedly has another vacancy.

FOX Sports’ Bruce Feldman reports that new Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt is expected to hire Gators defensive line coach Chris Rumph.

Rumph was one of four Florida assistant coaches new Gators coach Dan Mullen had kept aboard for the time being after taking over last week. The others are running backs coach Ja’Juan Seider, offensive line coach Brad Davis and linebackers coach Tim Skipper.

Rumph seemed among the most likely of that group to remain after the transition and into the future. In addition to being popular with the players, he was under contract through the 2019 season at an annual salary of $590,000 plus escalating retention bonuses.

He and dismissed defensive coordinator Randy Shannon were the only assistants on former coach Jim McElwain’s staff with contracts beyond next season.

Now it looks like the Gators have yet another spot to fill.
    https://www.seccountry.com/florida/r...-jeremy-pruitt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't expect many of those recruits to flip but if they do, it won't be tonight. Give Tenn time to sell them on the program.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ya, I get the eternal optimism and it's great that vol fan has been able to talk themselves into hope once again but this aint "that" kind of hire and even if it were, "that" kind of thing aint the kind of thing that actually happens.

Recruiting is about relationships and the only way to quickly build the kind of relationships it would take to flip 5 stars in a matter of days is illegal.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Ya, I get the eternal optimism and it's great that vol fan has been able to talk themselves into hope once again but this aint "that" kind of hire and even if it were, "that" kind of thing aint the kind of thing that actually happens.

Recruiting is about relationships and the only way to quickly build the kind of relationships it would take to flip 5 stars in a matter of days is illegal.
    Forget flipping guys already committed.

I'll be thrilled if the Vols new coach can bring back guys who flipped from UT to undecided in the weeks since Butch was fired. One such example is 5 star offensive tackle Cade Mays who's from Knoxville and whose Dad played for the Vols and was All SEC in 1994 and a team captain.

You're right that this eternal optimism doesn't get you anywhere until we see results from the field. This is akin to getting excited on draft day for Bengal fans, a condition I know all too well...

I do think Pruitt is a far better fit than Schiano. One thing that can't be underestimated is that Pruitt is a southerner. Any of you who went to college in the south will get this. They're not so keen on a guy from Michigan like Butch Jones or a guy like Schiano from Jersey. They want to hear that southern drawl. Here are some comments typical of Vol fans:

"I'm happy we have a good ol' Southern boy coaching the Vols again"

"At least he doesn't have a Yankee accent."

The bottom line is this:

"Homerun hire! Gonna do great! We dodged a bullet. Imagine being saddled with John Currie and GS for the next 3-5 years! Thanks CPF!!!" CFP=Coach Philip Fulmer

I liked Fulmer's comment here about his hire:

"...his energy and personality is infectious"

That would not be said about Greg Schiano. The Vols are in need of some positive energy around there.

The Vols immediate expectations seem reasonable from what I can discern. They just want Pruitt to get them back to being Bowl eligible next yr

I think the real question is can Pruitt win next season with the roster currently the way it is?

Butch didn’t exactly leave the cupboard bare, unlike Joker Phillips when he was relieved by Kentucky. They have some talent, namely Guarantano.

The question is, do those players fit schematically with what Pruitt and Helton want to do? If not, it could take longer to rebuild the program and Tennessee fans aren’t known for patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Forget flipping guys already committed.

I'll be thrilled if the Vols new coach can bring back guys who flipped from UT to undecided in the weeks since Butch was fired. One such example is 5 star offensive tackle Cade Mays who's from Knoxville and whose Dad played for the Vols and was All SEC in 1994 and a team captain.

You're right that this eternal optimism doesn't get you anywhere until we see results from the field. This is akin to getting excited on draft day for Bengal fans, a condition I know all too well...

I do think Pruitt is a far better fit than Schiano. One thing that can't be underestimated is that Pruitt is a southerner. Any of you who went to college in the south will get this. They're not so keen on a guy from Michigan like Butch Jones or a guy like Schiano from Jersey. They want to hear that southern drawl. Here are some comments typical of Vol fans:

"I'm happy we have a good ol' Southern boy coaching the Vols again"

"At least he doesn't have a Yankee accent."

The bottom line is this:

"Homerun hire! Gonna do great! We dodged a bullet. Imagine being saddled with John Currie and GS for the next 3-5 years! Thanks CPF!!!" CFP=Coach Philip Fulmer

I liked Fulmer's comment here about his hire:

"...his energy and personality is infectious"

That would not be said about Greg Schiano. The Vols are in need of some positive energy around there.

The Vols immediate expectations seem reasonable from what I can discern. They just want Pruitt to get them back to being Bowl eligible next yr
    Pruitt has ALOT of skeletons in the closet. Lets just say, he aint a nice human and while his energy might be "infectious", i'd be worried about what disease one might catch. The dude has potential scandal written all over him, he's made enemies everywhere he's gone, he's now in a position where he's a prime target and where enemies can do serious damage and it's in an AD that clearly has factions based upon the search that ultimately ended in his hire.

In some ways it might be ironic given the rationale for what ut did to Schiano.
    Last edited by jojo; 12-08-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Turn Off Ads?