Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Season Part 2

Re: 2017 NFL Season Part 2

McAdoo fired per Ian Rapaport. GM fired also.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-04-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, Gronk has apologized. Even said he doesn't believe in hits like that so I guess it's all good.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...edavious-white
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    McAdoo fired per Ian Rapaport. GM fired also.
    What a dumpster fire. As soon as they announced it, they reinstalled Eli as starting QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-04-2017)

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what exactly McAdoo or Reese did wrong about their benching Eli? If you want to say they shouldn't have done it at all that's fair, but I keep hearing "they handled it poorly". As if there was a good way to bench your two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback of the last 14 years?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand what exactly McAdoo or Reese did wrong about their benching Eli? If you want to say they shouldn't have done it at all that's fair, but I keep hearing "they handled it poorly". As if there was a good way to bench your two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback of the last 14 years?
    Ostensibly the object is to start your best players. Now, I'm not a huge Eli fan but there is no way Geno Smith and their rookie QB are better than him. If it were a situation like KC who have Mahomes waiting in the wings and it's a lost season for them, then yeah, sure, bench the starter. Now putting Eli back in makes it look worse. And, no there's no good way to do it in the first place but why do it at all? Firing McAdoo and Reese makes it look like they are putting the blame all on them and not on themselves even though they signed off on benching Eli.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Ostensibly the object is to start your best players. Now, I'm not a huge Eli fan but there is no way Geno Smith and their rookie QB are better than him. If it were a situation like KC who have Mahomes waiting in the wings and it's a lost season for them, then yeah, sure, bench the starter. Now putting Eli back in makes it look worse. And, no there's no good way to do it in the first place but why do it at all? Firing McAdoo and Reese makes it look like they are putting the blame all on them and not on themselves even though they signed off on benching Eli.
    They should have benched him for Davis Webb just to see if he fit in long term. They used a third round pick on him, might as well see if he is starter material going forward or use their first round pick on a QB.

The season is lost so just see what you have going into next season. Benching Eli for Geno who has already failed as a QB in New York makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yeah I can see that point. I don't get the Geno thing, but I do think there's reason to take a look at Davis Webb in a lost season and at the start of a presumed rebuild. I saw the bulk of Eli's career when I was living in NJ/NYC and it feels like he'd being treated at a higher level than he was. He's suddenly being treated like Peyton when he's more like Joe Flacco, who I don't think there would be as much hand-wringing over if he got benched in a miserable season.

All things considered, ownership should have had McAdoo, Reese, and Manning all stay in place the rest of the season and then cleaned house of them at the conclusion of the season.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Chip R (12-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah I can see that point. I don't get the Geno thing, but I do think there's reason to take a look at Davis Webb in a lost season and at the start of a presumed rebuild. I saw the bulk of Eli's career when I was living in NJ/NYC and it feels like he'd being treated at a higher level than he was. He's suddenly being treated like Peyton when he's more like Joe Flacco, who I don't think there would be as much hand-wringing over if he got benched in a miserable season.

All things considered, ownership should have had McAdoo, Reese, and Manning all stay in place the rest of the season and then cleaned house of them at the conclusion of the season.
    From what I've heard, Webb isn't near ready to play. Yeah, Eli's really overhyped. That's a product of his environment. Like I told Bob earlier his HOF credentials include playing in NY, his last name is Manning and the 2 Super Bowls. Now that last thing is a pretty good trump card to have but even if he had won 2 Super Bowls and his name was Eli Jones and he played in San Diego and put up the same numbers, there would be a lot fewer people who would think he's a HOF QB.

Yeah, they should have waited but since they pulled this they had to do something. It was easy to fire McAdoo since the record was so poor. Reese had to take the fall for the Eli benching - although I don't see how upper management thought it wouldn't become the mess that it did. Now it looks worse because after all those consecutive starts he's a healthy scratch and now he's starting again. It's not a team record but it's a pretty big slap in the face by an organization who isn't known for treating their players like that. If I'm Eli, I'm leaving town as soon as the season's over. Eventually it'll all blow over. They'll retire his number, give him a day and everyone can fawn over him again and he'll probably get into the HOF.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

12. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-05-2017)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Football is getting harder and harder to watch! Between a crap product on the field, the increase of head injuries, poor officiating, a poorly ran league office, and crying fans. Most of these issues you could see just by watching the game that was on TV last night. I truly feel that football in 10 years won't be what we are watching on TV right now. I don't think the fans will put up with what is happening for too much longer. Another issue is the protest. I don't have much of an issue with it, but millions of fans do. That can't be ignored. Football needs to evolve somehow and I don't think Roger Goodell is the guy to get it where it needs to be.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-05-2017),Tom Servo (12-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Football is getting harder and harder to watch! Between a crap product on the field, the increase of head injuries, poor officiating, a poorly ran league office, and crying fans. Most of these issues you could see just by watching the game that was on TV last night. I truly feel that football in 10 years won't be what we are watching on TV right now. I don't think the fans will put up with what is happening for too much longer. Another issue is the protest. I don't have much of an issue with it, but millions of fans do. That can't be ignored. Football needs to evolve somehow and I don't think Roger Goodell is the guy to get it where it needs to be.
    You need to replace "FOOTBALL" with "NFL" and you'd probably be right.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    You need to replace "FOOTBALL" with "NFL" and you'd probably be right.
    I agree, I should have said NFL. I don't watch a ton of college football, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as what the NFL has become. Maybe the NFL should look at some of the targeting rules and kicking guys out of games like the college game does.

Gronk launches his 265-pound body at a guy's head and shoulders while he's lying on the ground defenseless, giving him a concussion and bloodying his mouth...and gets a 1-game suspension.

Because the NFL is serious about player safety.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

19. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Gronk launches his 265-pound body at a guy's head and shoulders while he's lying on the ground defenseless, giving him a concussion and bloodying his mouth...and gets a 1-game suspension.

Because the NFL is serious about player safety.
    The players will never take stuff like this seriously. I would imagine that stiffer penalties would have to be collectively bargained, which will never happen!

I was wrong
    Chip is right

Goodell got his extension.
    And the fans got theirs!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

Chip R (12-07-2017)

Turn Off Ads?