Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Altcoins/Bitcoins and investing in the stock market

Re: Buying Altcoins/Bitcoins and investing in the stock market

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

This one goes right over my head. Can you explain it a little more in depth for me, an idiot about the stock market?
    Some people are in positions where they make money when the market goes down. They essentially bet against the market. Those folks should be allowed to make their money.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Some people are in positions where they make money when the market goes down. They essentially bet against the market. Those folks should be allowed to make their money.
    Ok, that's what I *thought* you were saying - but could have taken it a few different ways too.

What happened with that in 2001 when the market was shut down for a week? And why was is acceptable then and not now?

Well, I think the difference is that the NYSE is located in the same neighborhood where two 100 story buildings literally crashed to the ground. People couldn't go into that neighborhood. Once people could get back in, it re-opened.

I just think closing markets in hard times is a bad idea unless it is logistically impossible to keep them open. It just leads to panic and lack of faith in those markets.

Well, I think the difference is that the NYSE is located in the same neighborhood where two 100 story buildings literally crashed to the ground. People couldn't go into that neighborhood. Once people could get back in, it re-opened.

I just think closing markets in hard times is a bad idea unless it is logistically impossible to keep them open. It just leads to panic and lack of faith in those markets.
    The country is shutting down.....

They also banned short selling for a time in 2008 and I believe in 2001. The idea was to keep people from betting against the market and also having what is called a short squeeze when the markets go up and the shorts all have to cover and close their positions. It also leads to much less efficient markets, so I doubt they will do it this time around.

I work for an asset management company and we had a call this morning. There is basically little to no liquidity in the market, which isn't that surprising, but the level is. Even risk free assets like treasuries are very hard to make a market in right now. Risk assets like equities are off the charts. Our CIO was estimating that 80-90% of the volatility and price drops is just from not being able to sell most assets, not from the volume of selling.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I work for an asset management company and we had a call this morning. There is basically little to no liquidity in the market, which isn't that surprising, but the level is. Even risk free assets like treasuries are very hard to make a market in right now. Risk assets like equities are off the charts. Our CIO was estimating that 80-90% of the volatility and price drops is just from not being able to sell most assets, not from the volume of selling.
    I am able to execute my trades with the same efficiency as always.

9. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-16-2020)

Doug does make a good point about how the markets (not all I don't think) were closed for that long after 9/11. In the last few weeks there has been an extreme amount of volatility in the markets. Closing things down for a few days could help calm things down (at least a little).

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    I am able to execute my trades with the same efficiency as always.
    Right, you can always place trades. It's about the prices you can get for what you're trading. Spreads have really blown out on a lot of asset classes.

How big is an economy where nobody can do anything but shop online and at grocery stores? What S&P 500 number, on fundamentals, makes sense when companies have to weather that for months?

A lot of businesses are dead and just don't know it yet.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    How big is an economy where nobody can do anything but shop online and at grocery stores? What S&P 500 number, on fundamentals, makes sense when companies have to weather that for months?

Yep, this right here.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

It's going to get real, real ugly.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nicely today.
    Indeed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Indeed.
    Check back tomorrow. There must be some traders making a killing on this thing. Not sure what they're going to do with the money, though, since everything is closed.

Check back tomorrow. There must be some traders making a killing on this thing. Not sure what they're going to do with the money, though, since everything is closed.
    Cheap airline tickets for September?

Turn Off Ads?