Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Jim Nabors

RIP Jim Nabors

Jim Nabors who played Gomer Pyle first on The Andy Griffith Show and then was spun off on his own show, Gomer Pyle USMC, has died at the age of 87. Shazam! I really hate to hear this. He was always a favorite on those two shows. It was the only real part he ever played regularly on TV. Carol Burnett called him her good luck charm and had him on her first show of every season. Nabors was a great singer who sold millions of albums too. He sung Back Home in Indiana at the Indy 500 for many years. RIP Jim Nabors

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-87-1008103
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Jim Nabors

Going through some old papers while cleaning out Mom's trunk a couple of months ago, I came across a signed box of jello I received in the mail from him as a kid. I have no idea. I also have a vague memory of a record with him wishing me a happy birthday.

Weird times.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (12-01-2017),Redsfaithful (11-30-2017)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

I go to the Indy 500 every year. He would always sing "Back Home Again In Indiana". The stopped in 2014 because of his health, so people kinda knew this was coming. From all accounts he was a great guy. He will be missed!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1 of only a handful of people to be named Honorary Marine...pretty cool!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-02-2017),westofyou (11-30-2017)

There were two actors (characters), IMO, from looking at them you would never know one of their biggest talents would be their singing voice ..... Ken Curtis (Festus) and Jim Nabors (Gomer).

We were on YouTube a few weeks ago watching Gomer Pyle USMC. And this has always been my image of Gomer. This scene, Nabor's facial expressions, always cracks me up whenever I see it ....

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    There were two actors (characters), IMO, from looking at them you would never know one of their biggest talents would be their singing voice ..... Ken Curtis (Festus) and Jim Nabors (Gomer).

We were on YouTube a few weeks ago watching Gomer Pyle USMC. And this has always been my image of Gomer. This scene, Nabor's facial expressions, always cracks me up whenever I see it ....

I had no idea Ken Curtis was a singer - much less a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I had no idea Ken Curtis was a singer - much less a good one.
    Same for me. Never knew that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

Chip R (12-11-2017)

Ken Curtis was a singer before he was an actor. He sang with the Tommy Dorsey band, and also sung lead for the Sons Of The Pioneers (1949-57)(they also sang in some Wayne westerns). Not a rich baritone like Nabors, but had a beautiful voice.

Last edited by GAC; 12-12-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

Chip R (12-12-2017),cumberlandreds (12-13-2017)

Turn Off Ads?