Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ball at it again.....

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Ball at it again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I asked my Dad about the Fort Wayne Komets and they have been around since he was in high school. He graduated in 1958.
    That's true.

FWIW, my Uncle was one of the Komets co-founders/owners.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Donder (12-25-2017),Joseph (12-25-2017),Redsfaithful (12-25-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    That's true.

FWIW, my Uncle was one of the Komets co-founders/owners.
    That is pretty cool. Did you get free tickets??????

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    That is pretty cool. Did you get free tickets??????
    He passed away when I was almost 13, but I used to go to games with him all the time (sat right by the Komets bench) and met the players and coaches.

In fact, I filled the void of an additional family member taking an active interest, as my Aunt and cousins weren't particularly interested in hockey (if not sports altogether) at the time. Within two years of my Uncle Ray's death, my Aunt sold her ownership share of the team and that was it.

Special memories that will last forever.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    This is a big wild card that I think gets ignored. How many guys might be willing to come home and play in a tier 2 league if the pay was competitive?

I am going to go Buckeyes because I am more familiar with them, but look at these guys playing overseas:

Jon Diebler
    Daequan Cook
    Aaron Craft
    David Lighty
    Marc Loving
    Byron (BJ) Mullens
    Evan Ravenel
    Shannon Scott
    Jared Sullinger
    Deshaun Thomas
    Trevor Thompson
    Amir Williams

I am not saying that's an all star team or making any commentary here, I'm just saying a league where you put a team with 4-5 of those guys in Columbus plus some 18 year old draft prospects, and they play other big college cities ... would that not be a good tv product? I know UC, Louisville, and Kentucky could all put together fun teams of guys who still play for a living but not in the NBA (maybe not Kentucky since all their guys stick in the NBA lol).

I think it would be. But I know some of these guys get paid really well overseas, so that might kill the idea.

The exciting thing for me, would be if you moved to a soccer model, where you might have a regular season, but then your local team also play events like The Basketball Tournament. And maybe even get some sort of Champion's League going for basketball. Yeah, the NBA champ would dominate, but so what? It would be a lot of fun, and basketball is world wide and could support it.
    The big question here, is would you be willing to pay overseas salaries to these guys? Would you be willing to pay Jared Sullinger $1.4M? Would you be willing to pay bench players a couple hundred thousand? I think the biggest two things are the financial incentive to play and paying for good coaching?

As for the arena's, I know the Canton Charge play in the Canton Civic Center which is a dump. But I am sure the distance from the Cavs as well as the price is right. The guys you mentioned above, would someone be willing to pay to play at Nationwide Arena? Would they be willing to pay to play at US Bank in Cincy?

Other stuff that would be involved would be per diem, hotel and travel expenses. I don't think bus trips will work from these guys coming from Europe.

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-27-2017),Redsfaithful (12-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The big question here, is would you be willing to pay overseas salaries to these guys? Would you be willing to pay Jared Sullinger $1.4M? Would you be willing to pay bench players a couple hundred thousand? I think the biggest two things are the financial incentive to play and paying for good coaching?

As for the arena's, I know the Canton Charge play in the Canton Civic Center which is a dump. But I am sure the distance from the Cavs as well as the price is right. The guys you mentioned above, would someone be willing to pay to play at Nationwide Arena? Would they be willing to pay to play at US Bank in Cincy?

Other stuff that would be involved would be per diem, hotel and travel expenses. I don't think bus trips will work from these guys coming from Europe.
    All valid points. But I am sure Ball has the answer to all of them!!!!

LiAngelo declares for the draft. What’s the odds of everyone calling the bluff and ignoring an also ran son of the loud one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    LiAngelo declares for the draft. What’s the odds of everyone calling the bluff and ignoring an also ran son of the loud one?
    Didn't Pops say he was only going to play for the Lakers? If so, I don't like his chances.

I do have to give those kids and Pops credit where it's due. They have lasted in Lithuania much longer than I thought they would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Didn't Pops say he was only going to play for the Lakers? If so, I don't like his chances.

I do have to give those kids and Pops credit where it's due. They have lasted in Lithuania much longer than I thought they would.
    I am sure both of the younger ones will end up with the Lakers.....they will see the court all the time, as well "ball boys". Getting the players drinks and doing errands. Of course they will have their fancy sneakers on while they do their tasks.

13. Likes:

Chip R (03-28-2018),Revering4Blue (03-28-2018)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

They have lasted because the competition is terrible there. They are sometimes playing kids that are years younger than they are. Once the kid declared for the draft yesterday he proceeded to score 72 points against kids much younger than him. I do feel bad for these kids, their dad is an over obnoxious blow hard who only is thinking about money, not his kids well being!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    They have lasted because the competition is terrible there. They are sometimes playing kids that are years younger than they are. Once the kid declared for the draft yesterday he proceeded to score 72 points against kids much younger than him. I do feel bad for these kids, their dad is an over obnoxious blow hard who only is thinking about money, not his kids well being!
    Still, it's in the middle of nowhere where not a lot of people speak English. I thought they would be out of there as soon as they could and LaVar would be ginning up excuses why they left but they have decided to stick it out so good for them. I feel they will be in for a rude awakening when they get back to the States - especially the younger one.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lavar-ball-...182822581.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lavar-ball-...182822581.html
    All good things must come to an end!!!!!!! LOL

19. Likes:

Chip R (05-01-2018)

LaVar has been accused of embezzling over $2.5M by his former partner.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-b...050943794.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

LaVar has been accused of embezzling over $2.5M by his former partner.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-b...050943794.html
    In my best Gomer Pyle voice..."Surprise, surprise, surprise." All I got.

22. Likes:

Chip R (10-09-2019),cumberlandreds (10-09-2019),Revering4Blue (10-09-2019)

Turn Off Ads?