Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Smart Home Automation

Re: Smart Home Automation

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    These are great for folks in the warmer climates - you need a large open space with warm ambient air to realize the savings. I didn't know about these hybrid heaters until Jax's posts, and I told an Alabama relative about them...it should work out very well for them.

The pros and cons:

http://www.atozstatewideplumbing.com...ers-pros-cons/
    Yes, I looked at how they work. They pull heat from the ambient air, and heat the water. This works if you aren't heating that area, because otherwise you would ultimately be paying for the energy to heat the water if you were heating the living space. But it's a cool idea for people in the south.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Yes, I looked at how they work. They pull heat from the ambient air, and heat the water. This works if you aren't heating that area, because otherwise you would ultimately be paying for the energy to heat the water if you were heating the living space. But it's a cool idea for people in the south.
    They also have a regular heating element, so in winter it works like a regular heater, in summer it works via the exchanger. And it figures out which all by itself. So I think it would work for everyone.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They also have a regular heating element, so in winter it works like a regular heater, in summer it works via the exchanger. And it figures out which all by itself. So I think it would work for everyone.
    I meant that you aren't going to get the savings when it isn't able to pull heat from the ambient air, i.e. when you are paying to heat the space where the heater is located. It's still a good system, and just wanted to make it clear that the performance would be completely different in a place like Michigan as compared to Florida and Arizona.

I've added 12 C by GE bulbs to one room (I have 4 ceiling fixtures with three bulbs each) and a C by GE smart outlet that acts as a bridge. The bridge connects them to Google assistant via the mini I have in that room. I have 5 Google Home devices. I had to get the bridge because these bulbs are wifi not Z-Wave. The first week, they kept having issues contacting C by GE. Then I set up specific routines withing Google Home, and no issues. So far it's been a very good CHEAP way to have smart bulbs in that room, especially because I can turn just one light on at say, 10%.

Added two Sonoff Switches for my patio lights. Super easy to set up. I'm ordering two additional smart dimmer switches and one for a ceiling fan only in a 3 gang box for my den. I thought about going with Hue bulbs, but I already have dimmable LED bulbs in that room and I don't need the color bulbs there. the switch is perfect. I'll add some LED strips with color behind the TV.

I need to replace just about every light fixture in the house. Want to go with ceiling recessed can lights. Just a matter of doing it I guess.

I've added a ring doorbell and a ring camera/security light for the back yard, connected it to a smart things hub and added voice control for the lights to Google Home. It'd be nice if I could cast the back camera.

I have almost 1 year on the Honeywell T5 Smart thermostats, and my gas/electric bills showed a definite improvement. I still need to better insulate the attic, Gas bill alone this Fall/Winter was on average $60 less per month. I was usually around $150+ in Dec/Jan/Feb, but this year nothing over $75.

The next big thing will be motion sensors and time routines. If anyone has more suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I was looking for an inexpensive solution for controlling my exterior garage/driveway lights... basically to put them on a schedule to turn them on at sunset and off at 1AM. I have a Hubitat Elevation hub (Love it, BTW). Tried using Cree Connected bulbs but they were so inconsistent. I'd leave for work in the morning and one of the 3 lights would still be on, or one or two wouldn't turn on at sunset.

Ended up finding these on amazon, basically like a sonoff switch but uses zigbee protocol. Wired it to the switch for those lights, paired it, and shoved it to the back of the switch box so it's completely concealed, then set the schedule on the HE. thing has been running for a month now without a single hiccup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I clicked here after seeing “Smart Home Automation Bacon” on the home page thinking we were really onto something...

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I clicked here after seeing “Smart Home Automation Bacon” on the home page thinking we were really onto something...

https://youtu.be/L6Cqt6kQsas

9. Likes:

kaldaniels (03-09-2020)

Some updates from me. I've installed a Ring 2 doorbell and a security camera/motion sensor light for the rear of our house. That's where the garage is. We've had some "issues" with people checking parked cars in rear driveways in my neighborhood. And my garage is currently acting as a shop as I am building cabinet doors for our kitchen. Once those doors are done, I am replacing the fluorescent light in the kitchen with these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T13C9JQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it I'm thinking 8-10 of the 16 I have will do the trick.

I have two Gosund Dimmer Switches for lights in my den, and a GE Ceiling fan switch too. Both are connected via Google Assistant, and I have 5 google homes, 3 minis, one Home, one Home Hub.

Finally, I took the plunge and in a couple of weeks I'm having a 11.4 KwH solar array put in. I'll be getting the 26% tax incentive after which my monthly solar payment will be $145 and the note is paid off in 12.5 years as opposed to 20 if I do not apply the incentive to my loan. We do not have net metering in Amarillo, TX yet, though Lubbock just added it. By getting a full array I'll avoid the cap Xcel Energy placed on homes in Lubbock of 9KwH arrays on roofs. Once the co-ops come in and Net Metering is enacted, I should have no electric bill, and possibly a payment. So, I'm excited for that.

I'm replacing all my C by GE bulbs with the remaining pocket lights from the kitchen, and placing those bulbs in lamps around the house. That should cover most of the lighting in the house except the den. It has track lighting.

sigh.

This is the next purchase: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J49X3VL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Other than replacing my AC units, that should do it. Probably getting a new garage door opener too at some point, but that's more a luxury than anything else. The one I have works. And I usually remember to close it. Usually.

Lastly I am probably setting up a solar/battery grid to make my wife a she shed. She's getting antsy about it.
    Last edited by TRF; 07-26-2021 at 02:32 PM.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (07-28-2021)

New update. I got solar panels installed. 13.4KwH array, east and west facing. I am selling excess power back to the grid. But we do not have true net metering here in Amarillo. I purchase power at .14 per kwH, and seel back at .037 per KwH and they charge me a 20 dollar fee for this meter. so I need to send about 700 KwH's to the grid to offset that. So far that isn't going to be too hard. for three weeks it looks like I overproduced by 650Kwh's. I've only gotten 1 bill so far for 3 weeks on solar, but the break down was 1st week on standard power i used 142 Kwh. the next 3 weeks on solar I drew 237 KwH's from the grid. my total usage was half the previous month. I do not have a battery though and that is my next purchase. I'm looking to get a 10Kwh Battery then another one next year for 20KwH's in total. That SHOULD get me through the night with no electricity from the grid 9 months out of the year.

I check my enphase app about 8-10 times a day. so cool to see the power being generated.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    New update. I got solar panels installed. 13.4KwH array, east and west facing. I am selling excess power back to the grid. But we do not have true net metering here in Amarillo. I purchase power at .14 per kwH, and seel back at .037 per KwH and they charge me a 20 dollar fee for this meter. so I need to send about 700 KwH's to the grid to offset that. So far that isn't going to be too hard. for three weeks it looks like I overproduced by 650Kwh's. I've only gotten 1 bill so far for 3 weeks on solar, but the break down was 1st week on standard power i used 142 Kwh. the next 3 weeks on solar I drew 237 KwH's from the grid. my total usage was half the previous month. I do not have a battery though and that is my next purchase. I'm looking to get a 10Kwh Battery then another one next year for 20KwH's in total. That SHOULD get me through the night with no electricity from the grid 9 months out of the year.

I check my enphase app about 8-10 times a day. so cool to see the power being generated.
    What was the cost to install solar?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    What was the cost to install solar?
    too damn much. I should have DIY'd it, but went with an installer that a buddy used. after the tax incentive it's $36K but included upgrading my interior panel, 33 370 watt panels and enphase micro inverters, iq combiner box, permits and labor. It was a chunk. I know that for a while I'll be paying slightly more for electricity, but I have the opportunity to pay more for 18 months with no interest to get my new amortized payment below $145.

Also my sales rep is a scum bag. If I had to do it all over, I'd go with wholesalesolar or energy sage.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    too damn much. I should have DIY'd it, but went with an installer that a buddy used. after the tax incentive it's $36K but included upgrading my interior panel, 33 370 watt panels and enphase micro inverters, iq combiner box, permits and labor. It was a chunk. I know that for a while I'll be paying slightly more for electricity, but I have the opportunity to pay more for 18 months with no interest to get my new amortized payment below $145.

Also my sales rep is a scum bag. If I had to do it all over, I'd go with wholesalesolar or energy sage.
    Cool. Any plans to add battery storage?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Cool. Any plans to add battery storage?
    I might use the 26% tax incentive to just outright by a 10kwh battery, then add another one in a year.

17. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-16-2022)

I'm pretty pro-solar. But every time I see whether it makes financial sense for me, I come up short. I have very nice electrical rates here which make it harder. At point it was like .06 a KWh. But they just raised rates. Part of my equation is that I'm over 70 so t don't have a lot of time to break even.

It would be fun though. Especially since I drive TWO electric cars.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

19. Likes:

TRF (04-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm pretty pro-solar. But every time I see whether it makes financial sense for me, I come up short. I have very nice electrical rates here which make it harder. At point it was like .06 a KWh. But they just raised rates. Part of my equation is that I'm over 70 so t don't have a lot of time to break even.

It would be fun though. Especially since I drive TWO electric cars.
    I'm 53 and struggled with the cost. I think to start I'll be paying about the same, maybe a little more each month, but rates are rising in TX. A lot. three increases in the last 3 years. My solar monthly payment is $145. I was on averaged billing before and it was $155. 2 years ago it was $125. That was prior to the COVID lockdown when we worked from home all summer, but even after going back the bill kept rising.

Turn Off Ads?