Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can we talk outdoor fire pits?

Can we talk outdoor fire pits?

I need some recommendations. As I grow older and wiser, I'm becoming more mature and smarter about looking ahead to Black Friday deals.

Give me your best suggestions.

Go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can we talk outdoor fire pits?

We have a propane fire pit and love it. No more messing with firewood and your clothes smelling like smoke the next day.

Here is a stock photo of the one I have. I wish that was my pool in the background!

We have outdoor pub chairs for it. The propane tank is inside the unit.

Last edited by goreds2; 11-03-2023 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Interesting. I actually love the smell of wood burning. I'm a nostalgic guy so this is definitely interesting to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Likes:

goreds2 (11-03-2023)

i just got one of those galvanized smoke pit rings and dug down a little and laid some gravel and sand. I stacked free standing stones around it. It's nothing special. It is just there in the grass. No patio.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Fan of the Solo Bonfire.

Big fan of the Solo Mesa. It’s about 3 times the size of a sterno can, but great if you don’t want to commit to several hours of a fire pit. Mrs. Fan isn’t going to sit out for hours in a cold evening by a roaring fire. But we will light the Mesa and have a drink before I grill dinner on an evening with just a little chill in the air.

8. Likes:

dfs (11-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I need some recommendations. As I grow older and wiser, I'm becoming more mature and smarter about looking ahead to Black Friday deals.

Go.
    If you want just a pit, buy a Higley from Minnesota (then if you want fancy put stones around it). They are expensive, but they don't rust away like most of this crap sold at building stores. And you can buy them in large depth and diameters that those stores don't sell either.

I spent a lot of money on mine and use it for burning brush every year (full trees, honeysuckle, grass, etc).

But the one I have isn't built for a puny quarter acre lot.

https://higleywelding.com/round-stainless-steel-pi

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

Go.
    Be respectful of your neighbors. They stink and they pollute the air badly. They are also illegal in many states for much of the year for these reasons, in addition to having their loose embers start fires.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I did a square pit similar to the one linked below, and dug in into the ground this summer. Did a few rows of pavers around the outside of it and it came out pretty nice for about $300 all in. The one thing if you do look to add pavers to the project is to really understand what type of paver sand to use. I ended up going with a sand/cement mix and glad I did. Only down side is I did get some cracks in it and will have to add a new layer every year. Hope to build off of it next year to add a section for furniture that isnt just grass.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLUE-SKY...3608/314063448

We made one kind of like this, except I added a layer of thin firebrick around the inside. It was dry-laid like this, and every few years I just leveled it as necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6lmaI5MwI

I live in the country so I built a 7 or 8 foot circle out of creek rock. I needed it large to burn brush and sticks from lots of trees. Hope this helps. lol
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans... John Lennon

Turn Off Ads?