Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jerry Van Dyke Passes Away

Jerry Van Dyke Passes Away

https://www.10tv.com/article/jerry-v...r-dick-dies-86

Loved him in the sitcom Coach as assistant coach Luther Van Dam. Also remember his role in John Wayne's McLintock. But I always saw him as an actor who struggled to achieve his own "stardom" and primarily, IMO, because of bad decisions on his part, and advice from others (LOL) ..... he turned down the lead in Gilligan's Island to do My Mother The Car. I remember that sitcom. Lasted one season. Simply terrible ... He also passed on the opportunity to replace the departing Don Knotts on Andy Griffith (I didn't know this).... lost out to Tom Poston for the role of George the Handyman in Newhart too. I liked his character in the sitcom Yes Dear though.

RIP Jerry
    Last edited by GAC; 01-07-2018 at 06:29 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-08-2018),Revering4Blue (01-12-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jerry Van Dyke Passes Away

RIP Jerry.

He was the king of cameo/walk on roles later in life. I loved seeing him pop up on shows and was amazed he worked for so long. Luther was my first introduction to him back in the 80's but he was in so many things I enjoyed before and after.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    https://www.10tv.com/article/jerry-v...r-dick-dies-86

Loved him in the sitcom Coach as assistant coach Luther Van Dam. Also remember his role in John Wayne's McLintock. But I always saw him as an actor who struggled to achieve his own "stardom" and primarily, IMO, because of bad decisions on his part, and advice from others (LOL) ..... he turned down the lead in Gilligan's Island to do My Mother The Car. I remember that sitcom. Lasted one season. Simply terrible ... He also passed on the opportunity to replace the departing Don Knotts on Andy Griffith (I didn't know this).... lost out to Tom Poston for the role of George the Handyman in Newhart too. I liked his character in the sitcom Yes Dear though.

RIP Jerry
    I had just in the last year or so read about those opportunities he turned down. Just some really bad career decisions. But if he had been in those roles,especially Gilligan I wonder if that show would have been as popular? RIP Jerry Van Dyke
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turning down replacing Don Knotts was probably a good decision. The show was unwatchable post-Knotts. Van Dyke probably wouldn't have changed that.

7. Likes:

Chip R (01-08-2018),cumberlandreds (01-08-2018),Revering4Blue (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I had just in the last year or so read about those opportunities he turned down. Just some really bad career decisions. But if he had been in those roles,especially Gilligan I wonder if that show would have been as popular? RIP Jerry Van Dyke
    And look what Gilligan's Island did for (or to) Bob Denver as far as his acting career went. I think he was type-cast so bad, what did he do afterwards? Of course, I don't think any of the actors on that show went anywhere after GI went off the air.... unless it was to appear on an episode of Love American Style or the Love Boat (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Being type cast happens to a lot of actors. For every Clint Eastwood, who achieved stardom in a TV show and went on to a long career in movies, or the late Robert Urich, who headlined more than a dozen different TV series, countless actors star in one TV show and thereafter never are in another hit. A lot of them now make a living on the Comic Con circuit.
    Jerry Van Dyke was talented and with the right break or right career decision could have had a bigger career. I enjoyed his performances. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Being type cast happens to a lot of actors. For every Clint Eastwood, who achieved stardom in a TV show and went on to a long career in movies, or the late Robert Urich, who headlined more than a dozen different TV series, countless actors star in one TV show and thereafter never are in another hit. A lot of them now make a living on the Comic Con circuit.
    Jerry Van Dyke was talented and with the right break or right career decision could have had a bigger career. I enjoyed his performances. R.I.P.
    I think the main reason, when it comes to, or leads to, type-casting, is "what is your forte?" In other words, what role or type of character really "fits the mold" and really brings out the best in your talents? Maybe it does involve diversity of acting ability, lack thereof, or just not being given the opportunity.

There's always that actor whose best suited to play the "straight guy" while playing off the co-star who is the goofy, comic relief (Andy-Barney). It's a combination that works and is highly successful. But the problem is it does lead to type-casting, and that "second fiddle" has a hard, very difficult, time overcoming it as their career progresses.

Did you ever see Don Knotts play a serious role or character? Not saying he couldn't have; but that's not what brought him success or what people saw him as.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-14-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I actually remember the words to the "My Mother the Car" song. It was quite catchy. (and short)

Everybody knows in a second life, we all come back sooner or later.
    As anything from a *****cat to a man eating alligator.
    Well you all may think my story, is more fiction than it's fact.
    But believe it or not my mother dear decided she'd come back.
    As a car...
    She's my very own guiding star.
    A 1928 Porter.
    That's my mother dear.
    'Cause she helps me through everything I do
    And I'm so glad she's near.
    My Mother the Car.
    My Mother the car.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?