Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes (This time we mean it)

2018 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes (This time we mean it)

2017 is over, the Browns have a new GM and the same Coach. What's going down? Ohayhu did a mock draft

1, 1 - Sam Darnold, QB, USC
    1, 4 - Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    2, 1 - Jaire Alexander, DB, Louisville
    2, 3 - Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
    2, 31 - Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame
    3, 1 - Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
    4, 1 - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
    4, 24 - Dorance Armstrong Jr., DE/OLB, Kansas
    5, 1 - Frank Ragnow, OL, Arkansas
    5, 26 - Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State
    6, 1 - Austin Corbett, OL, Nevada
    7, 1 - Ebenezer Ogundeko, DE/OLB, Tennessee State
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2018 Cleveland Browns...Rising from the Ashes (This time we mean it)

They have so many picks. It would be amazing if they aren't a playoff contender in the next two to three years.

First off: Taking Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen over Saquon Barkley is the equivalent of passing on Megatron or AP for JaWalrus Russell. By taking a QB first you guarantee leverage for the G-Men with Barkley. No one's going to take a QB without trading up * (New York Giants owners put Eli back in for a reason, I want to see who they hire first). The NFL you need a guy like Barkley who could do everything. This class has the potential to be one of the better classes the draft has seen. I also believe Darnold and Rosen are both extremely overrated. I feel stronger about that A-hole from Norman and Mason Rudolph from Ok St. For me the dark horse is Josh Allen from Wyoming who probably has a much higher ceiling but lower floor as well.

Take Barkley First and look at where you are:
    2 New York Giants (Eli Manning*)
    3 Indianapolis Colts (Andrew Luck*)
    4 Cleveland Browns
    5 Denver Broncos (3 headed monster of suck, so they are a threat but only have their picks)
    6 New York Jets (Josh McCown; will they want to move on he did have a good year)
    7 Tampa Bay (No)
    8 Chicago (No)
    9 SF (If they get the latest version of Matt Cassel extended/franchised)
    10 Oakland (Carr)
    11 Miami (Tannehill)
    12 Cincinnati (maybe?)
    Who is really going to be in a position to even approach anything that's going to want a qb?
    Who's really going to be able to match whatever offer that Cleveland can make without including a 19 first? I would say you wind up driving the price up by taking a QB first.

I did a mock on First-Pick.com for giggles with my original post. If you believe the narrative of that Cleveland must take a qb with one of the two top 5 picks.
    12 picks: Round 1 Pick 1, Round 1 Pick 4, Round 2 Pick 1, Round 2 Pick 4, Round 2 Pick 30, Round 3 Pick 1, Round 4 Pick 1, Round 4 Pick 28, Round 5 Pick 1, Round 5 Pick 24, Round 6 Pick 1, Round 7 Pick 1

First Overall: Sequan Barkley.
    You can offer #4, and 2 (either and 30)2s to New York, I'm sure that will be tempting to them if they are going to give Eli one more year or covet someone else.
    Then you take whichever you want. That leaves you with 1 high second (that you can move down if you need), 1 3, 2 4th, 2 5th, 1 6th, 1 7th. And if there's another guy you really covet you could move up AGAIN in the back end of round 1 for another 5 year option.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

5. Likes:

GAC (01-09-2018)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I stated in an earlier post that the Browns should consider drafting Barkley first. All the mocks I'm doing, though, I haven't been including trade scenarios. There's always the possibility they trade for Alex Smith, though I think it's more likely he ends in Arizona.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

So Browns take Barkley, Giants take Rosen, Broncos flip the Colts a 3rd rounder to move up two slots and they take Darnold. No QB for Cleveland.

Don't get greedy if you want a QB.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    So Browns take Barkley, Giants take Rosen, Broncos flip the Colts a 3rd rounder to move up two slots and they take Darnold. No QB for Cleveland.
    I mean, I guess if you're REALLY convinced that those two are going to be good pros and are the two best QBs in the draft. I'd say it's far from certain.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    They have so many picks. It would be amazing if they aren't a playoff contender in the next two to three years.
    It's amazing they haven't been a playoff contender for the past 2 or 3 yrs. They've had great picks for yrs

If I’m the browns I’m taking Barkley number 1 overall and trading for Alex Smith
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    We've been saying that for the the last 10 years (at least)

I feel somewhat more confident (a little bit) that Dorsey is in charge of this next draft. He's got plenty of resources to choose from - draft picks and $100M in salary cap money.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

You can outbid anyone without having to consider a 19 first rounder. I’m not sold NY will want a qb. They could try and chalk it up to injuries and bad coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's amazing they haven't been a playoff contender for the past 2 or 3 yrs. They've had great picks for yrs
    I think the biggest problem has been Haslam. Even with high draft picks, you cannot build a winner with such instability in the front office and coaching staff. You have to get guys you believe in and then have some patience. Haslam has failed in bringing in the right guys to make the decisions, then (seemingly) meddled in some of those decisions, and then lost patience and rebooted. I think/hope the Browns finally got it right with Dorsey and have the wisdom to let him run the show.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Where is Chubb from UGA slotted to go? I think I take a QB #1 and see if Barkley is there at #4, if not I see where Chubb falls! I don't think you can go wrong with Chubb either, I personally like Chubb more than Barkley.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Where is Chubb from UGA slotted to go? I think I take a QB #1 and see if Barkley is there at #4, if not I see where Chubb falls! I don't think you can go wrong with Chubb either, I personally like Chubb more than Barkley.
    Barkley is a lot more versatile
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-08-2018),Revering4Blue (01-08-2018)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

They can always snag Allen at 4 and have him sit behind Alex Smith for a year or however long. That being said, I really like the mock I came up with, though I'm sure a few of those guys will probably go a bit higher. Michel, I prefer over Chubb.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Help me out on Barkley. I didn't watch a lot of PSU football so I'm just going by the box scores...but didn't he tail off in the second half of the season? And in the OSU game he started out huge, but disappeared as the game went on.

He's a great prospect but I'm seeing him compared to arguably the best RB and WR (AP and Megatron) of the past 10-15 years.

Turn Off Ads?