Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018

Re: College Football 2018

A University of Iowa researcher can predict which college HS foorball recruits will commit to with 70% accuracy by looking at their tweets.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/spo...go/1071233001/
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Michigan fired director of football operations Fergus Connolly as consequence for his arrest on suspicion of DUI earlier this month.

Connolly had something of a wild ride on the morning of Monday, March 6, with it being reported that he not only verbally assaulted a police officer during his arrest -- threatening to "put [him] in a wheelchair" -- but also allegedly biting a lab technician after he was brought to the hospital. His feet were bloodied at the time of his arrest. All of this bizarre action has understandably led to his being let go from the football program. We expect Michigan to name a replacement for Connolly in relatively short order.

Source: Nick Baumgardner on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

New rules for college football including fair catches on kickoffs.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-of...204656232.html
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    New rules for college football including fair catches on kickoffs.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-of...204656232.html
    I get why they are doing this. I wonder how many teams will give the returners the instruction to fair catch anything within the 10-goal line?

What if the fair catcher muffs the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What if the fair catcher muffs the ball?
    I would guess it would be like what happens now. However, with kickoffs, returners usually aren't confronted by tacklers for a few seconds unlike punts. So I would guess if that happened, a returner would have time to get a handle on it before he's met by any opposition but the ball is placed at the spot instead the 25.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

This technically belongs in this thread but I didn't even know Japanese college football was a thing. Very bad cheap shot here. The Steelers are probably going to try to convince this kid to play for them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...6h8?li=BBnb7Kz
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

100 days!!!

Just what we need...3 more Bowl games for 2020:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...2020/23458220/

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Just what we need...3 more Bowl games for 2020:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...2020/23458220/
    Fine with me.

The more CFB games, the better.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Here's a story that has not received much attention yet. The NCAA has made it a rule that come October, a student-athlete can transfer without asking permission.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...fer-permission
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Here's a story that has not received much attention yet. The NCAA has made it a rule that come October, a student-athlete can transfer without asking permission.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...fer-permission
    The SEC changed that rule just a few weeks ago. Looks like the NCAA is now following suit. I don't think that's a big deal. A bigger deal would be eliminating the sit out yr. That's still in tact.

Actually I was more interested in something else in your link. I found it interesting that players can now play up to 4 games in their redshirt yr. This will make for a lot more 5th yr seniors. Very good move indeed. I hadn't heard that before. That was news to me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Fine with me.

I don't know. I don't mind the number of games. What I don't like are sub .500 teams playing in Bowls. I want it to mean something to be "Bowl eligible".

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The SEC changed that rule just a few weeks ago. Looks like the NCAA is now following suit. I don't think that's a big deal. A bigger deal would be eliminating the sit out yr. That's still in tact.

Actually I was more interested in something else in your link. I found it interesting that players can now play up to 4 games in their redshirt yr. This will make for a lot more 5th yr seniors. Very good move indeed. I hadn't heard that before. That was news to me

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know. I don't mind the number of games. What I don't like are sub .500 teams playing in Bowls. I want it to mean something to be "Bowl eligible".
    True.

It kinda defeats the purpose of the regular season.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Fine with me.

That game in Wrigley Field will be just a bit cold.

Just go ahead and have a bowl game for every team. It's 65% now so just open it up to everyone and make the regular season totally meaningless.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I thought the SEC rule change was specific to graduate transfers... before, the league wouldn't let them play immediately if transferring from another SEC school even though the NCAA would let them. If so, this would be a different scenario entirely, since it applies to all transfers.

Agreed on the rare-for-the-NCAA quality move with the redshirt rule change. It's not just that the kid can play in up to four games without burning his shirt, it's that the games can be at any time throughout the year. Typical incoming freshmen aren't ready to play right out of the gate but by the end of the season they might be, and that's when the team is most likely to need the depth.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I thought the SEC rule change was specific to graduate transfers... before, the league wouldn't let them play immediately if transferring from another SEC school even though the NCAA would let them. If so, this would be a different scenario entirely, since it applies to all transfers.

Agreed on the rare-for-the-NCAA quality move with the redshirt rule change. It's not just that the kid can play in up to four games without burning his shirt, it's that the games can be at any time throughout the year. Typical incoming freshmen aren't ready to play right out of the gate but by the end of the season they might be, and that's when the team is most likely to need the depth.
    I honestly don't know if SEC teams could control where you transferred to as an undergraduate. Regardless it's a good change

Turn Off Ads?