Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018

Re: College Football 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Well, I would like to think he learned something under Saban. Can't believe I just said that!!!!!
    No need to apologize for saying something positive about Nick Saban. I respect him a great deal and can't wait for him to announce his retirement. In the meantime, I'd like to work on winning SEC games and eventually be the top team in the East

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-20-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

When did the Big Ten start playing conference games week one and what went into that decision? I like it. Traditionally the Big Ten is known for a very boring schedule in Sept. Teams like Purdue and Northwestern would not be playing a watchable game Labor Day weekend so last night was refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When did the Big Ten start playing conference games week one and what went into that decision? I like it. Traditionally the Big Ten is known for a very boring schedule in Sept. Teams like Purdue and Northwestern would not be playing a watchable game Labor Day weekend so last night was refreshing
    I think it was 2015 or 2016 when they switched to 9 conference games and no FCS teams. I agree it’s a nice change.

I'm not a big fan of playing a conference opener. I'd like it better if Northwestern was playing FSU and Purdue was playing VaTech this weekend, so that none of them were playing conference games. I don't think you should be deep in the hole in your league (as Purdue is now) before September even starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm not a big fan of playing a conference opener. I'd like it better if Northwestern was playing FSU and Purdue was playing VaTech this weekend, so that none of them were playing conference games. I don't think you should be deep in the hole in your league (as Purdue is now) before September even starts.
    I agree. Problem is those schools probably wouldn't open against a decent Power 5 school. It'd probably be more like a MAC school or a horrible team like Minnesota played last night or Oregon St

I'm with you. Last night was much better than having Northwestern and Purdue playing nobodies. I'm just shooting for the perfect world where the P5 teams playing conference games would play out of conference games against other P5s (or at least a Houston or Boise or UCF) instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of UCF, I just checked out their schedule, and it's atrocious. The could go undefeated again this year and barely crack the top 10 again (and I guess win another "national championship").

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree. Problem is those schools probably wouldn't open against a decent Power 5 school. It'd probably be more like a MAC school or a horrible team like Minnesota played last night or Oregon St
    The Oregon St thing is one of those issues with scheduling in advance. When the game was booked 5 years ago it looked like at least a decent game, not the worst team in college football, but oh well.

I think with the 9 game schedule you have to have someone open with a conference game for that math to work. I remember listening to a podcast where it was being discussed.

That UCF schedule is brutal. I don’t get why they don’t try harder to schedule someone with a pulse. They need to look at Boise State as a model.

I'm with you. Last night was much better than having Northwestern and Purdue playing nobodies. I'm just shooting for the perfect world where the P5 teams playing conference games would play out of conference games against other P5s (or at least a Houston or Boise or UCF) instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of UCF, I just checked out their schedule, and it's atrocious. The could go undefeated again this year and barely crack the top 10 again (and I guess win another "national championship").
    I think when you play a "compelling" conference game the first game of the season it gets a bunch of eyeballs. Had Northwestern and Purdue played in the middle of October it probably would have been buried behind 10+ other better games. Now it stands out, and even though Purdue is in a conference hole, they got some pretty good exposure they wont get for the rest of the season.

They got Pitt and North Carolina. Are those schools expecting much this yr? I have no idea but they're generally decent Power 5 schools. If UCF survives those games they've got Luke Fickell and his Bearcats waiting...

Don't know about Pitt, but UNC won like three games last year, and I don't expect them to be much better. Maybe .500. I don't think anyone expects Pitt to challenge Miami in their division of the ACC.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post

That UCF schedule is brutal. I don’t get why they don’t try harder to schedule someone with a pulse. They need to look at Boise State as a model.
    I don't think anybody wants to schedule UCF?

Louisville just signed them up to a home and home. Whether that will help UCF's strength of schedule is uncertain, though.

I doubt that’s true. They may have to travel a bit, but they can do better than what they’ve had. They do have Stanford and Louisville on future schedules, which is something I guess.

The interesting thing is about UCF is they're not a small school. They're the 2nd biggest school in the country (Arizona St is #1 in student enrollment last time I checked).

I like that they've gotten good. The American Conference needs schools like that. It's up to the rest of the conference to get better

I don’t expect Washington to beat Auburn. This is a game that will have playoff implications. A rare chance for the PAC 10 to score some direct “points” vs the SEC.

Turn Off Ads?