Darkest Hour
    Dunkirk
    Get Out
    Lady Bird
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    The Shape of Water
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

So far I've only seen Get Out and Lady Bird. Going to The Shape of Water tomorrow. Got some work to do.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2018 Oscars

I think the Academy did a good job this year. The Best Picture field is strong and diverse and they even managed to get a couple releases from early in the year on the list. I still need to see three of them (I'm not going to watch Darkest Hour ) but for now I'm on Team Lady Bird. The most important category to me is Greta winning Best Director!

I'm seeing Lady Bird this weekend. From what I've seen so far I'd rank them:
    1. Dunkirk
    2. Get Out
    3. 3 Billboards
    4. The Post
    5. Darkest Hour

That said I enjoyed all of those movies, although Darkest Hour is a little boring.

I barely saw movies this year, but Lady Bird was fantastic and should win everything.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-23-2018)

I've seen none of those movies. Time to get busy.

I cranked up my MoviePass in mid November so the movies before then I didn't see. I've seen Shape of Water, and Darkest Hour. I'll try to see some of the others. I don't have high hopes for Billboards or Lady Bird. Feel free to surprise me, films.

I enjoyed both Darkest Hour and Shape of Water. Shape of Water was one I was expecting to be bad, but was pretty good. Both of them irritated me one regard. For Darkest Hour, it was the subway scene. Listen guys, you're dealing with one of the most compelling figures of the 20th Century....you don't have to make up stuff to make it a good story.

For Shape of Water, it was everything associated with "the diner". Totally superfluous to the story, and put in to promote an agenda.

Until I see otherwise I have no problems with Sally Hawkins for Best Actress. She had to go through movie with (almost) no spoken dialogue, although they employ a "cheat" by having another actor repeat what she is saying through sign language.

I literally just got back from seeing I, Tonya. Margot Robbie did a very good job as Tonya Harding. Would have no problem of she won.

For best Actor, slam dunk for me so far of the 2 I have seen would be Gary Oldman as Churchill. I saw Denzel as Roman Israel, and although it was good, it didn't compare to Oldman for me.

On the best Supporting Actress Side, Would absolutely not vote for Octavia Spencer. She was playing Octavia Spencer. Nothing different than what I've seen from her before. So, since I haven't seen the others,
    I would have no problem with Allison Janney, who did very well, with a memorable character and script.

On best supporting actor, the only one I've seen was Richard Jenkins, who did nothing to distinguish himself in my eyes. He played the same kind of "quiet loser" role he always does.

For Best Picture the "snub" so far for me was "The Greatest Showman". From the song team that did La La Land, except this was in the works before La La Land, because it took 7 years for the project to finish. It's also much better than La La Land.

The song that is nominated from Showman is "This is Me", which is their "theme" and promotes their message about acceptance. So I can see why they promoted it, but the show stopping song in the movie is Never Enough.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'm bummed that I haven't seen nearly as many of these movies as I have in the past. I've only seen Get Out among the Best Picture nominations. I'm really looking forward to seeing Lady Bird. Saoirse Ronan is outstanding in everything I've ever seen her in. LOVED her work in Brooklyn.

I'm also with JaxRed on The Shape of Water. The premise just *seems* stupid and I struggle to think "this will be good". Clearly, many people think it's outstanding. But I doubt that I will ever sit down to watch it. I just can't get it into my mind that it's a good option going in.

For the record, although I only went to see it because it was "free" and was getting Oscar buzz, I did end up enjoying Shape of Water.

Damn! Passed over again!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Damn! Passed over again!
    At least I got a sound editing nomination for Police Academy 2020.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

GAC (01-26-2018)

There's always a few surprises in the performances categories, but Oldman is basically a lock. McDormand and Janney are heavy favorites given the GG and SAG awards already. Supporting Actor is pretty wide open and even though I said Oldman is a lock, you can't ever really count out a Daniel Day-Lewis performance.

Just saw Dunkirk. Was not a fan overall of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Just saw Dunkirk. Was not a fan overall of the movie.
    I've seen most of these films, and didn't think any of them were all that great.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Phantom Thread is heads above the best of those movies, hope it wins. It’ll probably be Three Billboards, which honestly is a terrible movie.

Blade Runner 2049 got snubbed for a nomination also.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    II enjoyed both Darkest Hour and Shape of Water. Shape of Water was one I was expecting to be bad, but was pretty good. Both of them irritated me one regard. For Darkest Hour, it was the subway scene. Listen guys, you're dealing with one of the most compelling figures of the 20th Century....you don't have to make up stuff to make it a good story.

For Shape of Water, it was everything associated with "the diner". Totally superfluous to the story, and put in to promote an agenda.
    What agenda would that be? The agenda which believes that 1962 was a god-awful time to be gay or black in Baltimore? I didn't find the diner scenes superfluous, but I did think the guy behind the counter made a bit of a hard-to-believe transformation. That's saying a lot, considering I was totally willing to suspend disbelief for an interspecies romance, a bathroom flood scene defying the laws of physics, and a villain that was way too psychotic to rise to that level of prominence in the military
    Stick to your guns.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-26-2018)

Turn Off Ads?