The schedule for releasing team prospect rankings is out:

Team Top 30 Prospects schedule:
    Mon., Feb. 19 - AL East
    Tue., Feb. 20 - NL East
    Wed., Feb. 21 - AL Central
    Thu., Feb. 22 - NL Central
    Fri., Feb. 23 - AL West
    Mon., Feb. 26 - NL West

If a team's list is not posted on the dates above, that team will be in our ranking of MLB's Top 10 farm systems, which will come out according to this schedule:

Tue., Feb. 27 - Nos. 9 & 10
    Wed., Feb. 28 - Nos. 7 & 8
    Thu., March 1 - Nos. 4-6
    Fri., March 2 - Nos. 1-3
    I suspect the Reds will be in the bottom half of the top 10, so won't be out when the rest of the NL Central is released.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: MLB prospect rankings for 2018

Just a reminder that the MLB.com team prospect lists are coming out this week and next. So far the AL East, NL East, and NL Central have come out, minus the teams from those divisions that will be in the top 10. NL Central is tomorrow (Thursday).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (02-21-2018)

NL Central is out today, and the Reds are the only team that isn't showing up yet, which means they're the only team in the division with a farm system that MLB.com ranks in the top 10.

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (02-23-2018)

Looks like the Reds are in the top 10, as the NL Central just came out. So far, 7 out of the 10 teams have come from the East and Central Divisions - Tampa Bay, Toronto, New York Yankees, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago White Sox, and Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by maniem View Post
    Looks like the Reds are in the top 10, as the NL Central just came out. So far, 7 out of the 10 teams have come from the East and Central Divisions - Tampa Bay, Toronto, New York Yankees, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago White Sox, and Cincinnati.
    Gotta figure the other three will be HOU, LAD, and SDP.

Out of that group I think the Reds might rank as high as #5, though I suspect more like 7-8.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Gotta figure the other three will be HOU, LAD, and SDP.

Out of that group I think the Reds might rank as high as #5, though I suspect more like 7-8.
    Agreed. I'm guessing the Reds come in at #7. My prediction:

1. ATL
    2. SD
    3. CWS
    4. NYY
    5. PHI
    6. TOR
    7. CIN
    8. TB
    9. LAD
    10. HOU

The team from the AL West isn't HOU, it's OAK.

Man, I've always liked Trammell, loved the pick when it was made and thought he was a bit undersold going into 2017, but holy smokes. He is getting massive amounts of love from everywhere. Ranked 41 and 43, with several saying he is the most likely to catapult up the prospect rankings again next year. I know his tools are great and his baseball ability and understanding of the game are beyond what was expected. Been a good long while since we had a prospect who fit that mold (loud tools, ability, baseball IQ) and now we may have 3.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (02-24-2018),RiverRat13 (02-24-2018)

The Reds list is out:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=cin

Top 10 is:

1. Senzel
    2. Greene
    3. Trammell
    4. Winker
    5. Mahle
    6. Santillan
    7. Long
    8. Downs
    9. Siri
    10. Stephenson

14. Likes:

BillDoran (02-28-2018),REDREAD (02-28-2018)

Reds come in at #8. I'm a little disappointed, as i think they have a deeper system than Oakland and very similar to Phily, but overall, about where we expected.

https://www.mlb.com/news/cincinnati-...?tid=151437456

16. Likes:

REDREAD (02-28-2018)

I've now read the BA and MLB.com top thirty for the Reds.

Pretty strong system.

Especially when you consider that Reds still draft #5 this year.

MLB Reds are in position to get much better over the next couple of seasons. This is where the FO has to show its mettle. And the field staff.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (02-28-2018)

Who would you rather have:

Pool A:
    Nick Senzel (#7)
    Hunter Greene (#21)
    Taylor Trammell (#43)
    Jesse Winker (#82)
    Tyler Mahle (#84)

or...

Pool B:
    AJ Puk (#32)
    Jesus Luzardo (#60)
    Franklin Barreto (#66)
    Jorge Mateo (#72)

... Pool B is ranked higher?... I sincerely don't get it...

20. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-02-2018),Edd Roush (03-01-2018),New Fever (03-01-2018),nmculbreth (03-02-2018),OnBaseMachine (03-01-2018),Red Raindog (03-01-2018),REDREAD (03-01-2018),RedTeamGo! (03-03-2018),Stingray (04-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Who would you rather have:

Pool A:
    Nick Senzel (#7)
    Hunter Greene (#21)
    Taylor Trammell (#43)
    Jesse Winker (#82)
    Tyler Mahle (#84)

or...

Pool B:
    AJ Puk (#32)
    Jesus Luzardo (#60)
    Franklin Barreto (#66)
    Jorge Mateo (#72)

... Pool B is ranked higher?... I sincerely don't get it...
    Honestly you could remove Winker and Mahle from the Anonymous Pool A and I'd still prefer that group, whichever team that may be.

It's obvious that they like the A's more because of their depth (I mean, I can't imagine they're that much deeper than we are to make up for the high ceiling guys we have but these are the breaks).

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    It's obvious that they like the A's more because of their depth (I mean, I can't imagine they're that much deeper than we are to make up for the high ceiling guys we have but these are the breaks).
    One of the main things they praise about the Reds board is its depth, so I'm not seeing that. And honestly, even if the A's had depth WAY ahead of the Reds, is that really worth more than Senzel and Greene? Not a chance. It's just so puzzling...

And I've truly tried to take my homer glasses off for this. I'm trying to be as hard on the Reds system as I can to prevent myself from unfairly favoring them. But I honestly think the A's are not only worse than the Reds, but also the Blue Jays and probably even the Dodgers.

And in many cases, I'd just shrug and say to myself that they must just value some of the prospects in Oakland's system higher than I do, but I'm going on their own rankings, and their rankings alone. It's just... I can't even...
    Last edited by Vander; 03-01-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Turn Off Ads?