Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2018 Season

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2018 Season

Jags confirm new uniforms and helmets will be revealed this Spring. They've also announced they're removing the tarps and lowering concession costs.

The last part is interesting because Atlanta reported increased revenue with concession price lowering last season. They cut their non alcoholic beverage and food prices in half and the amount spent per fan increased 16%.

Now if the movie theatres and concert venues would do the same.....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Jags confirm new uniforms and helmets will be revealed this Spring. They've also announced they're removing the tarps and lowering concession costs.

The last part is interesting because Atlanta reported increased revenue with concession price lowering last season. They cut their non alcoholic beverage and food prices in half and the amount spent per fan increased 16%.

Now if the movie theatres and concert venues would do the same.....
    They also announced that at this time last year they had 500 requests for new season tickets. This year it's at 5,000.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

But..but....nobody cares about them and they're moving to London!

Glad we don't hear that malarkey anymore.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-17-2018),Revering4Blue (02-18-2018),Rojo Rijo (02-19-2018)

Jags released Chris Ivory to the surprise of absolutely no one. Freeing up 3.5 million. Jags are now one of those clubs that have to watch the cap. No big free agent moves this year.

And Jags extended the contracts of Coughlin, Marrone and GM Caldwell for an additional 2 years. Now have 4 year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And Jags extended the contracts of Coughlin, Marrone and GM Caldwell for an additional 2 years. Now have 4 year deals.

They will only keep getting better.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

How do you feel about the Bortles extension? As a Colts fan I’m happy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I, personally, think it is perfect. He has next year to show that he's worth n
    keeping, otherwise his replacement is added in 2019, what I expected all along.

From Rotoworld:

Jaguars signed QB Blake Bortles to a new three-year, $54 million contract that includes $26.5 million guaranteed.
    This comes after reports the Jaguars were exploring options to replace Bortles. The extension locks Bortles up through 2020, but Jacksonville will likely be able to escape the contract with relative ease as soon as 2019. Bortles' new deal is on the team-friendly side, placing him behind Ryan Tannehill in annual average. The Jaguars have a rising receiver tandem in Dede Westbrook and Keelan Cole, and are expected to franchise impending free agent Allen Robinson, so Bortles should have an improved supporting cast going into 2018.
    Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I could not be more pleased. Here's my post from Dec 16th last year:

Jaguars Controversial Thought #2. (Number 1 was - Coughlin gets way too much credit for turnaround).

I no longer think Blake Bortles is a liability. I don't think the Jags pursue another starter in the off-season. Slowly but surely Blake has grown into the job. His last few games he's looked confident, and thrown accurately. He has a 60% completion rate, a 2-1 Touchdown to interception rate, has no pick sixes this year, and has run for 282 yards. In 4 years Blake has gone thru 3 different offensive coordinators. He seems to be settling into OC Nate Hackett's system.

Blake is only 25. If he's the guy, we can be set at QB of for 10 more years.
    ---------

I added the bolding this time. I wanted Bortles back, either just with the option or if a long term deal, one that did not cripple the club. My two biggest fears heading into the off-season were paying a ton of money for Cousins, because that would mean an eventual teardown of the rests of the roster, for a guy who (in my mind) may or may not be all that great. Second fear was Eli coming over from Giants, because I think he is toast. Stick a fork in him.

This deal is so team-friendly it's crazy. He had an option for 2018 for 19 million, he's now signed up for 3 years and only 26.5 million is guaranteed. So they only paid 8.5 million to guarantee 2 more years if they want it. If they decide to cut him after 2018 he's only owed 8.5 million more. If he plays well enough to stick around it's $18 mill a year which is average in the league these days. And it has incentives in case Blake continues to improve and hits the goals.

This is a deal that allows the Jags to keep all the other pieces in place. I do think they will draft another developmental QB in the draft. A lot of mocks had us going Rudolph or Lamar Jackson with 29th pick. I always felt it was more likely to be a 3rd or 4th rounder. I like Kyle Lauletta from Richmond.

I think the Jags will pick up a veteran backup and let Chad Henne go, Henne earned 6 million last year. I don't think it will be one of the bigger names like Bradford, Keenum, Bridgewater, or McCarron unless they find no takers.

Jags now need to get Blake some pass catchers and beef up the line a bit. We lost our best WR on the first pass play of the season, and at many points last year Blakes targets were 2 rookie WR's (4th rounder and undrafted) and a 33 year old tight end who's specialty is blocking.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-24-2018 at 11:44 PM.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-25-2018)

That sounds like the kind of deal the Bengals gave Dalton which was fair. I think this is a good deal for all concerned. What you didn't want to see was a Joe Flacco type deal here.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-26-2018)

Not tagging A-Rob. Got until Monday to work out a deal or he's a FA. If I were the Jags I'd let him walk. His market is going to be strong and I just don't think it would be worth that amount of money. If he's signed i'll be happy but if not then id like to see another WR signed and then the position addressed early in the draft.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 03-06-2018 at 11:10 AM.

I do think he's going to walk. The biggest mistake Coughlin made in Jax before was mismanaging the cap. Put us in cap hell for several years. From the beginning, Caldwell said he was going to manage the Jags so that they have sustained performance. When that happens, you've got to let some guys go. Big gamble on Caldwell's part.

Now we'll have to get OL, TE and a WR in draft.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said Blake Bortles "is not a place-holder."

"For everything he has been through and all of the things people say he can’t do, he has proven that he can do it," Caldwell said. "This wasn’t a decision where he’s going to be here for a year and we’re going to be keeping our eyes out." The fact the Jaguars owe Bortles $6.5 million guaranteed in 2019 seems to back up Caldwell's assertion, although that salary does contain offsets. Despite this "commitment" to Bortles, the Jaguars will likely look to add some young talent at quarterback.

Source: Florida Times Union

ARob signing with Chicago 3/$42

We're signing Andrew Norwell 5/$66.5

Jags keep winning! Would've liked Robinson back but based on positional values addressing the line is more important. I'd expect a WR for us in the first 2 rounds. I'd guess the 1st but knowing Coughlin I wouldn't be shocked to see the 1st rd pick be an OL or DL.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-13-2018)

Jags have signed Donte Moncrief and re-signed Marqise Lee

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I do think he's going to walk. The biggest mistake Coughlin made in Jax before was mismanaging the cap. Put us in cap hell for several years. From the beginning, Caldwell said he was going to manage the Jags so that they have sustained performance. When that happens, you've got to let some guys go. Big gamble on Caldwell's part.

Now we'll have to get OL, TE and a WR in draft.
    Well Jags, have erased 2 of those 3 needs in first 48 hours of Free Agency. I'm not crazy about the amount of money thrown at Norwell. This seems to have Coughlin's name all over it. Tom loves his lineman, and it was a lot of money, and they snatched him from the Giants.

As predicted, Allen Robinson left. He's been replaced (apparently) by Dontae Moncrief. Haven't seen dollar figures, yet. I'm assuming for less than what Robinson got. They also resigned Marquise Lee (previous to Moncrief deal) for more than I would have liked. I think he's just "a guy". Many suspect this will mean the Jags cut Alan Hurns unless he takes a big cut in pay. And maybe even if he does. So top 4 receivers are: Cole, Westbrook, Moncrief, Lee.

And Jags lost Aaron Colvin as nickel corner to Texans. Jags would have liked to keep him but were outbid. Jags liked what they saw from their backups in limited duty last year, and there's talk they are negotiating with DJ Hayden.

So, seems like early draft will consist of TE and OL in some order depending who falls, and a developmental QB in 3rd or 4th round.

And Jags have to sign a veteran backup QB at some point when the dust clears.

Turn Off Ads?