Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The XFL is coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The XFL is coming back

It's already a better idea than it was 17 years ago. Admittedly, that's a low bar.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-25-2018),Chip R (01-25-2018)

It makes sense to take time to get the infrastructure in place, but particularly in our hyperactive news cycle it's hard to see the fairly recent NFL backlash still being relevant in 2020.

Anyway in general I support attempts to de-monopolize the sports landscape, but I'm a lifelong wrestling fan and I know Vince is doomed to fail at every non-wrestling venture he attempts.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Chip R (01-25-2018),Raisor (01-25-2018),TRF (02-02-2018)

He Hate Me is only 41 years old.

#Comeback
    Last edited by Raisor; 01-25-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It makes sense to take time to get the infrastructure in place, but particularly in our hyperactive news cycle it's hard to see the fairly recent NFL backlash still being relevant in 2020.

Anyway in general I support attempts to de-monopolize the sports landscape, but I'm a lifelong wrestling fan and I know Vince is doomed to fail at every non-wrestling venture he attempts.
    Agreed, I don’t think people are going to be talking about Colin Kaepernick, Michael Bennett, and national anthem protests two years from now.

But I’ve been wrong before.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Agreed, I don’t think people are going to be talking about Colin Kaepernick, Michael Bennett, and national anthem protests two years from now.

But I’ve been wrong before.
    Right, and certainly there will be some holdouts, you can still find people that are mad about Jane Fonda or whatever. But the XFL is gonna need way more than just those people to be successful.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

There is so much dumb about this, but 40 man rosters really stands out as particularly stupid, unless you're doing away with kickoffs maybe? Which would actually be smart, but I don't think this is going to go in the direction of safer football, so I doubt it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

There's not enough decent quarterbacks to go around in the NFL, let alone more. Nobody ever addresses this with these secondary leagues.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The XFL was mediocre football the first time around. How is it going to be different this time?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The XFL was mediocre football the first time around. How is it going to be different this time?
    So is college football, people love that. The talent is relative, it’s the character that matters. If they can really get rid of all the off-field garbage that goes along with the NFL and just make it about the game, I’ll may start watching football again.

14. Likes:

jimbo (01-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If they can really get rid of all the off-field garbage that goes along with the NFL
    I agree, get rid of the military propaganda.

16. Likes:

BillDoran (01-30-2018),Bob Sheed (01-26-2018),RedTeamGo! (01-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    It'll be mediocre and non-political?

I'm not sure how he is going to distinguish the XFL from the NFL besides lack of quality. He said there won't be scantily clad women and they won't wrestle for first possession. I always thought the sky cam was a good idea and others did too. I doubt this will happen but maybe they could be a more progressive league with blows to the head and other things.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

They should attack college football, not the NFL, otherwise it's just NFL rejects, go after the 18 year olds.
    Go Gators!

19. Likes:

BillDoran (01-30-2018),M2 (01-25-2018),Redsfaithful (01-25-2018)

Reimagine pro football in a way that makes it more entertaining to watch? Here are a few thoughts:

No replay. Make the call on the field and go with it.

3 20 minute periods with a continuously running clock. 10 minutes between each period for commercials and runs to the concession stand.

Eliminate pass interference. Let dbs be physical all the way down the field. On the other side, WRs don’t have to catch the ball. As long as they get a hand on the ball, it’s a catch at the spot on the field where the receiver touched the pass.

No punting. Just like backyard football, you go for it on 4th down.

Kickoffs into the endzone on the fly result in 2 points for the receiving team.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Reimagine pro football in a way that makes it more entertaining to watch? Here are a few thoughts:

No replay. Make the call on the field and go with it.

3 20 minute periods with a continuously running clock. 10 minutes between each period for commercials and runs to the concession stand.

Eliminate pass interference. Let dbs be physical all the way down the field. On the other side, WRs don’t have to catch the ball. As long as they get a hand on the ball, it’s a catch at the spot on the field where the receiver touched the pass.

No punting. Just like backyard football, you go for it on 4th down.

Kickoffs into the endzone on the fly result in 2 points for the receiving team.
    CTE monitors in the helmets. "That hit just took two years off his life!"

As far as actual suggestions, no punting would be a good rule. Yet I'm not sure any number of rule changes is going to create a market for offseason football.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

Chip R (01-26-2018)

Turn Off Ads?