Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn: Hoosiers

Attn: Hoosiers

I just got back from a quick trek to Chicago. A few questions/comments:

1) What can you tell me about the huge wind mill farm in NW Indiana? Who paid for them and where's the power going? It looks like an enormous project.

2) Pot holes. You folks got quite a problem with pot holes. Not to the extent of SW Mich but it still needs to be addressed

3) Toll roads. I know you got toll rds in NW Indiana but why can't you post the fees in advance of the booth? It'd sure save time so that we can have that exact change ready to go. In fact we even had one booth (unmanned of course) where the readout in front of the car didn't work so we were forced to guess at the toll.We kept putting in coins 'till the gate lifted. I'd think for all that money your state could afford better signage

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Attn: Hoosiers

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

1) What can you tell me about the huge wind mill farm in NW Indiana? Who paid for them and where's the power going? It looks like an enormous project.

2) Pot holes. You folks got quite a problem with pot holes. Not to the extent of SW Mich but it still needs to be addressed

3) Toll roads. I know you got toll rds in NW Indiana but why can't you post the fees in advance of the booth? It'd sure save time so that we can have that exact change ready to go. In fact we even had one booth (unmanned of course) where the readout in front of the car didn't work so we were forced to guess at the toll.We kept putting in coins 'till the gate lifted. I'd think for all that money your state could afford better signage
    1) Those started going up around 10 years ago. I think the ones you see from I-65 are part of two different projects (Meadow Lake and Fowler Ridge). I always think it looks a little freaky at night.

2) Yeah they suck
    3) I'm not sure how many there are that are on the Indiana side, but I agree. Was super annoying until my wife and I just bit the bullet on an Illiana card.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Regarding tolls, we're at that point where you basically need the ez-pass mounted on the windshield. Some states don't even have the option to pay manually, and you have to pay online, although that doesn't work for rental cars and you end up paying a hefty fee. And I know it's a drag for the occasional user because ez-pass takes money out of your account for a "maintenance fee" if you don't use it that month, but that's the way it goes. The convenience is well worth it though.

5. Likes:

Caseyfan21 (10-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Regarding tolls, we're at that point where you basically need the ez-pass mounted on the windshield. Some states don't even have the option to pay manually, and you have to pay online, although that doesn't work for rental cars and you end up paying a hefty fee. And I know it's a drag for the occasional user because ez-pass takes money out of your account for a "maintenance fee" if you don't use it that month, but that's the way it goes. The convenience is well worth it though.
    Yeah, I don't see that EZ pass works for the guy who only travels there for a wedding or what not. If it gets to that point it'll be essentially closed to many non residents and we'll just have to use a different route

Yeah, I don't see that EZ pass works for the guy who only travels there for a wedding or what not. If it gets to that point it'll be essentially closed to many non residents and we'll just have to use a different route
    Using a different route isn't practical in many places. Around chicago, it would cost you hours and far more in gas than what you spent on the ez-pass. Note that if you know somebody who isn't using it that weekend, you could borrow theirs. It isn't assigned to a specific car.

8. Likes:

Donder (01-28-2018)

Using a different route isn't practical in many places. Around chicago, it would cost you hours and far more in gas than what you spent on the ez-pass. Note that if you know somebody who isn't using it that weekend, you could borrow theirs. It isn't assigned to a specific car.
    I agree. Quite the hassle. But I'm not getting into monthly payments for a wedding or a funeral or even an occasional Reds-Cubs game at Wrigley. I hope they never go exclusively to EZ Pass

I agree. Quite the hassle. But I'm not getting into monthly payments for a wedding or a funeral or even an occasional Reds-Cubs game at Wrigley. I hope they never go exclusively to EZ Pass
    A lot of the exits are already exclusively ez-pass, and it's just a matter of time before the whole system is (Massachusetts is that way since October). Note that if you plan ahead a little, you can just order one online, and deactivate when you are done. Compared to keeping track of all the tolls you went through where manual payment wasn't possible, this is the most hassle free option. You have been relegated to the old guy who wants to pay with a check in the checkout line.

A lot of the exits are already exclusively ez-pass, and it's just a matter of time before the whole system is (Massachusetts is that way since October). Note that if you plan ahead a little, you can just order one online, and deactivate when you are done. Compared to keeping track of all the tolls you went through where manual payment wasn't possible, this is the most hassle free option. You have been relegated to the old guy who wants to pay with a check in the checkout line.
    We were there for a college visit. If my daughter does end up in Chicago, we'll definitely get one

Well, that sounds like fun. When I drove to Boston two years ago, I remember the Massachusetts TP being cheap (and brief, which is likely why it was so cheap. Sturbridge to 495, iirc. I'm sure some here make the trip often).

I've heard a lot the last few years about increasing the number of toll roads. I know we're moving toward a cashless society (and I'm all right with that), but there are going to be some technological potholes along the way.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've been using an EZ-Pass (FlexPass out here in CA) for about 20 years now. It's incredibly convenient (especially a guy like me who tries to never carry cash) and I urge everyone to get one.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I think the Pothole problem is mostly related to 65 N. I mean, I typically drive I-74 from SE Indiana and 465 and it's typically not a problem. I do know that 65 N toward Chicago has always been a problem. However, it would be a traffic nightmare to totally redo and pave 65 N. 2 Lanes is slow enough because of the semis. What they need to do is go 3 lanes from Indy to Chicago. I hate driving to Chicago knowing I'm going to follow a Semi and hit potholes most of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I think the Pothole problem is mostly related to 65 N. I mean, I typically drive I-74 from SE Indiana and 465 and it's typically not a problem. I do know that 65 N toward Chicago has always been a problem. However, it would be a traffic nightmare to totally redo and pave 65 N. 2 Lanes is slow enough because of the semis. What they need to do is go 3 lanes from Indy to Chicago. I hate driving to Chicago knowing I'm going to follow a Semi and hit potholes most of the way.
    I've driven there a lot during the last few months, and didn't notice potholes. They have done a lot of paving, and it also looks like they are putting up the concrete medians so they can expand to three lanes like they did on I75 heading towards Toledo. But maybe the harsh freezing and thawing made some fresh potholes lately? I'll find out next week.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Well, that sounds like fun.
    Yes, that few miles from Sturbridge to the 495 exit is only a $1.50 toll, but if you are in a rental car you can't pay online. You have to wait for the Mass DOT to send a bill to the rental company, who in turn will send a bill to you with a ton of admin fees (just ask my daughter). It's misleading on the signs there, because you think you can just pay online the next day by entering your plate number, but they have to send the bill first.

17. Likes:

marcshoe (01-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Well, that sounds like fun. When I drove to Boston two years ago, I remember the Massachusetts TP being cheap (and brief, which is likely why it was so cheap. Sturbridge to 495, iirc. I'm sure some here make the trip often).

I've heard a lot the last few years about increasing the number of toll roads. I know we're moving toward a cashless society (and I'm all right with that), but there are going to be some technological potholes along the way.
    I will be getting a ninety cent bill for today's Sturbridge to 295 drive today, it seems.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The Mass Pike goes all the way out west, by the way. To Pittsfield.

Turn Off Ads?