Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Hey all, I've been reading here for years and don't post a whole lot, so I want to start by saying thanks to all the great posters here first. I have never actually lived in the Cincinnati area, even though I've lived in Ohio all my life. Until recently, my girlfriend and I bought a house on the Northeast side of Cincinnati. We love to try new restaurants and it seems we mostly only have chain restaurants around, which aren't terrible necessarily, but we'd like to try new places. So I'd love to here all of your guys favorite places to go in the Cincy area. Doesn't matter what part of town it's in. Thanks ahead of time and can't wait to read what you guys post.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

There's a couple in Kenwood I really like. Embers and Trio. Ferrari's Little Italy in Madeira is good too. Pitrelli's in Mason is a bit old-fashioned but very good. Barresi's in Deer Park is very good. Everyone likes Montgomery Inn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-29-2018)

Awesome, I'll definitely check these places out. Thank you. And I have had Montgomery Inn, yes its great.

Eagle OTR for fried chicken/comfort food
    Eli’s for low-frills BBQ
    Walt’s Hitching Post for BBQ with frills
    Parker’s Tavern in Blue Ash is a great place
    Amerasia in Covington for all manner of Asian food (no sushi though)
    Lots of good sushi places but none that really blow me away
    For steak you can’t beat any of the Jeff Ruby restaurants.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

7. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Eagle OTR for fried chicken/comfort food
    Eli’s for low-frills BBQ
    Walt’s Hitching Post for BBQ with frills
    Parker’s Tavern in Blue Ash is a great place
    Amerasia in Covington for all manner of Asian food (no sushi though)
    Lots of good sushi places but none that really blow me away
    For steak you can’t beat any of the Jeff Ruby restaurants.
    Out of curiosity and not knowing, what is the style of BBQ when you mention that in Cincy? I am assuming maybe a Memphis style?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

9. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Out of curiosity and not knowing, what is the style of BBQ when you mention that in Cincy? I am assuming maybe a Memphis style?
    It varies greatly. Walt's is the rubbed type, I think St Louis is the term. It is tough coming off the bone. Mt Inn is slow cooked and falls right off the bone. Eli's is also slow cooked and is a casual joint.

11. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-29-2018)

Admittedly my wife and I spend way too much $$ on restaurants. We generally go out every Fri and Sat night. Although I live in the 'burbs I'll gladly drive downtown or wherever for a nice dinner at a Ma and Pa place. Here what I have to say:

My top overall restaurant in Cincinnati which includes value, quality, service etc is Jean Robert's Table on Vine in downtown Cincinnati. We are very privileged to have a chef of his caliber in this small city. He is like a mad scientist in the kitchen. He's an expert at blending flavors. The definition of that is when you take a bite of something and you say "wow, that tastes wonderful but I can't make out what all the ingredients are". When you're looking at his menu, don't worry about it if you don't like all the ingredients. Trust him to flavor it right. He won't let you down. If you see a picture of him you'll see that he's like a culinary Einstein. I will say that his menu needs an update and I hope he does that soon. I think he's putting his energies into his highest restaurant, L, which I have not been to.

https://www.jrcincy.com/

One of my personal favorites is Pontiac in Over the Rhine. It's a place to go for piles of pork. It works well to do it family style. You'll never walk out of that place hungry and it's not terribly expensive.

http://pontiacbbq.com/

Any of the Ruby places are outstanding for steak but they're really pricey. Count on about $100 a head by the time you do a side dish, tax and tip as everything's ala carte. My favorite place for value on steaks is Firebirds in Deerfield township

https://mason.firebirdsrestaurants.com/

Best spot for sushi is Ichiban in Mt Lookout. They're pretty much always open (late nights 'till 2am) and the sushi is second to none. Their sushi folks are authentic Japanese and they know what they're doing. My tip is to ONLY order from the half price menu. There are tons of choices on that menu and you can't go wrong. You will likely stuff yourself on only about $20 worth of food there.

http://www.ichibancinci.com/

Best German food and beer is Mecklenburg Gardens. It's rarely crowded and very authentic.

https://www.mecklenburgs.com/

Breakfast:

Perkins is always good. I also like a diner off of I-71 at exit 32 called Country Kitchen.

It's hard to find Sunday buffets anymore that don't break the bank. I think the best value is at Matt the Millers at Kenwood and Union Centre. Lots of food for about $18.

The best buffet overall is probably Parker's in Blue Ash and a very close second is 18 which is atop the Radisson Hotel in Covington just east of the Brence Spence bridge. The reason Parker's wins out is because it's about $5 cheaper ($25 vs $30). Both have shrimp and roast beef.

http://18dining.com/

Frisch's used to be the gold standard for breakfast but their quality has dropped in recent yrs and their prices have jumped. Their eggs are pretty much inedible. They're not good about keeping the buffet line stocked and the quality of the breakfast meats are also suspect.

Now a bit about the worst run places, both chains:

IHOP and Steak & Shake. This is based on numerous experiences. They're poorly run and poorly staffed. The food is pretty good especially for the price once you get it but management is a huge issue.

There's my 2 cents and then some. Bon Appetit!
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 01-29-2018 at 08:53 PM.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-30-2018),Gunner44 (01-29-2018),kaldaniels (01-31-2018)

Davbu and Sea Ray thank you guys for input. Specially the great long write up Sea Ray, it's appreciated.

Gunner, any gems you know of in Dayton? Anything worth the drive? Last time I went to a Dragon's game it was slim pickin's on where to go afterwards

16. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-30-2018)

Dayton:

Thai Nine
    Pine Club
    Hickory BBQ
    Coco’s
    El Meson
    Paragon Supper Club

18. Likes:

Flyer Guy (09-23-2021),Gunner44 (01-30-2018)

Dayton:

Thai Nine
    Pine Club
    Hickory BBQ
    Coco’s
    El Meson
    Paragon Supper Club

20. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-30-2018)

Take cash.

22. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-30-2018),Roy Tucker (01-29-2018)

Although I’m a little partial, I’d recommend Sartre OTR.

Next door to Rheingeist in Over The Rhine. http://www.sartreotr.com/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

24. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-30-2018)

Also:

Postmark - Clifton
    Seasons 52 - Rookwood
    Alfio’s buon cibo - Hyde Park
    Please - OTR
    Jean-Robert’s Table - downtown
    Coopers Hawk - Kenwood
    The Red Feather - Oakley
    Sotto - downtown
    Senate - OTR, Blue Ash

Mrs. Tucker and I will vouch for these places.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

26. Likes:

Gunner44 (01-30-2018)

Dayton:

Thai Nine
    Pine Club
    Hickory BBQ
    Coco’s
    El Meson
    Paragon Supper Club
    Thai 9 and Paragon are very good (Paragon has that 60's vibe, and is a favorite of the leisure suit/ Lincoln Continental crowd). El Meson was much better 15 years ago, and has gotten much more expensive and less inventive over the years. Coco's is very cool. For a pizza place, try Wheat Penny, which is downtown. In the Miamisburg area, Watermark is awesome, and a close second is the Blue Note, in case you like live blues and jazz.

28. Likes:

dfs (11-22-2018)

Turn Off Ads?