Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think we went there a while back. Great place.
    When I work in Chicago, I go to the one is Schaumburg, and the menu is almost completely Mediterranean and I don't think I've had the same thing twice. I didn't even know they had one down here, so I'll check it out.

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-01-2021),Roy Tucker (10-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    When I work in Chicago, I go to the one is Schaumburg, and the menu is almost completely Mediterranean and I don't think I've had the same thing twice. I didn't even know they had one down here, so I'll check it out.
    My wife was blown away by their wines. She's not a wine drinker but she was just fascinated about how they were organized. You could see them in the hallway where you come in the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yes, that’s another thing I like about them. They actually have some old world wines instead of just Napa stuff. They pair much better with the types of food they serve.

For those of you that follow triple D, Guy Fieri is back in town at Blue Ash Chili.

https://www.citybeat.com/food-drink/...dives-12693910
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

goreds2 (02-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Yes, that’s another thing I like about them. They actually have some old world wines instead of just Napa stuff. They pair much better with the types of food they serve.
    Old World instead of just “Napa” stuff, eh? Let’s hear some specifics. “Napa” stuff is the best agricultural product in the USA. To me, Napa cabs, chards and Zins are far superior to anything in Spain, Italy, England or Germany (all “old “ world countries).
    Last edited by Betterread; 02-22-2022 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Old World instead of just “Napa” stuff, eh? Let’s hear some specifics. “Napa” stuff is the best agricultural product in the USA. To me, Napa cabs, chards and Zins are far superior to anything in Spain, Italy, England or Germany (all “old “ world countries).
    Sure, but then again, the US eats more cheeseburgers and cocoa puffs than any other country too, and it depends on why you drink wines. In Europe, people drink wine with food. In the US, they are more prone to drinking it alone. I have been drinking European wines since 1971, I lived there for years, and my palette developed around a more low alcohol, drier wine. For instance, if I go through my wines from France, Spain and Italy, every one of them in under 14.5% alcohol. Or, I just had a fantastic Crotian Zin a while ago that was 13.5%. In contrast, in California, they started pumping up the sugar and alcohol tremendously in the mid-90s so that they have a heavy and hot jammy taste and are undrinkable to someone with a European palette now. But, Americans have a real sugar fetish, so it's understandable and it works for them.

But there are no rules. Drink what you like, and enjoy it. But I guarantee that if you start doing some proper pairings and start with some more subtle European wines such as Sangiovese, Châteauneuf-du-Pap, or a Tempranillo, you'll start to change. Oh, and one problem with pairings in the US is that they will often destroy something like a simple brie and cover it with jam and nuts and caramel, which kills the whole physics of why the fats in cheese complement the tannins in wines. I have wine tastings regularly, and people are often astounded by the choices and pairings I throw out, and then come away with a new appreciation. It isn't complicated, and is just what people (peasants) eat every day in the old world.

There, that's my detail. But again, if you like California wines, enjoy them.

You sound like a wine enthusiast. I like wines from the old, and the new world. If you don’t drink Napa and Sonoma Cabs with grilled beefsteak, or Cali Chard with Grilled BBQ chicken or Sonoma Zin with BBQ spareribs, you are missing out on some pretty delicious pairings. I love CDP with lamb and daube, but cab heavy bordeaux is also great with lamb but I eat a lot more steak than Lamb. Cotes de Rhône is amazingly versatile. If I don’t know what red wine goes with a spice or a sauce, CDR always fills in acceptably. Tuscan Sangiovese is another wine that pairs well with so many Italian dishes, though you really need a Chianti Classico riserva or super Tuscan for heavier meat dishes. And don’t forget about the amazing amount of quality and different styles for sauv blanc from Cali that go with alot of different food.

For me, I just don't like the high octane wines they are pushing there, nor the price. Back before people like Helen Turley started making boutique wines, I liked their cabs and zins and would pick up a bottle once in a while, but then they lost me. No big deal, and if you grew up on old world, it just doesn't appeal anymore. Since there are tens of thousands of new world wines out there, I'm sure there are some I would like, but I don't needthem, and can't figure out why I should choose an Oregon Pinot over a French Burgundy, especially since the latter is often half the price.

And I love the variety of grapes that the old world has to offer. Spain has an amazing selection of white wines that you just can't get here, most for under $15 a bottle. And, their cavas rival any champagne at five times the price. For a sav blanc, I'll always go for a white bordeaux, because it won't be overwhelmed by citrus notes. Or, I might choose an Albariño from Galicia, which is similar but a little more complex, or even a white Burgundy. And for some foods, nothing beats a rose from Provence. We eat a lot of tapas and Asian dishes, and all of those wines complement so well.

The other thing I like about the old world is that I can lay them down for fifteen or twenty years if I want, and they just get better. Back in 2007, my wife bought me a case of amazing Bordeaux wines for my birthday (including a Petrus) for our future 40th wedding anniversary, and it's sitting there getting better each year while a lot of wines have since turned to vinegar. But at the end of the day I get just as much enjoyment from a $12 Languedoc as a $2000 Bordeaux.

I also enjoy all the wines you mention, but I still also enjoy US wines, and other new world wines. One varietal i will say is far better handled in Italy and France is Merlot. I don’t enjoy many US Merlots, as their tannins and structure are overpowered by the fruit, but I am always open minded. Similar situation with Pinot noir.
    Last edited by Betterread; 02-22-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    ....as their tannins and structure are overpowered by the fruit...
    That's pretty much how California lost me, but like I said above, it suits them because they have more of a tradition of drinking a bottle of wine without food, which is OK too. But to drink a tannic Bordeaux without food would not be pleasant, but combine it with a brie and it's completely different. When I have tastings at my place I always have some different cheeses, meats, and chocolate, and people are amazed when I tell them to try the wine with nothing first, and then with a bit of Roquefort or a piece of chocolate. There are some very interesting studies of the science behind this, and explains why covering a round of brie with jam and caramel defeats the whole purpose.

Btw, I don't want to come off as a pretentious jerk when talking about wine because it isn't like that at all. I know people go to Napa and come back and rave about the beautiful wineries and mansions and glitter, but my favorite places in France are basically little farmhouses where it's more likely to have a few goats in the yard as a BMW, and you just bring your own jug and they'll fill it up for you. Or, lots of times when you go out to eat, they just fetch a couple liters of either a red or white from a cask in the cellar, and you know it's going to be good.

14. Likes:

Betterread (02-22-2022)

Love the wine talk.

If you want to go to a really great wine store, I highly highly highly recommend Victor’s Wine over in Cheviot https://www.victorswine.com/

I’ve known Paul for years and this is the best wine store I’ve encountered in the greater Cincinnati area by far. My wife and I go there and buy wine by the case and I usually just say “Paul, pick me out something good”. Paul is a Certified Sommelier and can talk to wine cave men like me or at the highest echelons of fine wine. Go give him a try if you are a wine enthusiast.

16. Likes:

Betterread (02-22-2022),Sea Ray (02-22-2022)

And on the food front, my son has moved over as sous chef to the new Alcove by MadTree Brewing in OTR. It’s a collaboration between 3CDC, Bouquet Restaurant, and MadTree. I’ve done a walkthrough in the space and it looks really cool.

https://www.madtreebrewing.com/news/madtree-alcove/

From the link “ The main space will feature a large bar, light-filled lounges, dining areas and an intimate private dining room for small groups. Connected by expansive windows and doors that run the length of the building, the main space opens to one of the city center’s rare outdoor spaces. Alcove will feature a lush outdoor patio space for lounging and dining, which connects to a lively greenhouse bar filled with vibrant plants; herbs growing in the greenhouse will be used in the house-made cocktails.

To create an immersive, warm space, MadTree will invest in extensive greenery, created by non-profit Urban Blooms, who designed the living wall in MadTree’s Oakley taproom. Filled with living walls and living chandeliers, the company will create living greenspaces throughout Alcove, designed for people to relax and revive with good friends and good food in a great atmosphere.”

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    And on the food front, my son has moved over as sous chef to the new Alcove by MadTree Brewing in OTR. It’s a collaboration between 3CDC, Bouquet Restaurant, and MadTree. I’ve done a walkthrough in the space and it looks really cool.

https://www.madtreebrewing.com/news/madtree-alcove/

From the link “ The main space will feature a large bar, light-filled lounges, dining areas and an intimate private dining room for small groups. Connected by expansive windows and doors that run the length of the building, the main space opens to one of the city center’s rare outdoor spaces. Alcove will feature a lush outdoor patio space for lounging and dining, which connects to a lively greenhouse bar filled with vibrant plants; herbs growing in the greenhouse will be used in the house-made cocktails.

To create an immersive, warm space, MadTree will invest in extensive greenery, created by non-profit Urban Blooms, who designed the living wall in MadTree’s Oakley taproom. Filled with living walls and living chandeliers, the company will create living greenspaces throughout Alcove, designed for people to relax and revive with good friends and good food in a great atmosphere.”
    Looks like a winner. Any word on when they'll open?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Looks like a winner. Any word on when they'll open?
    Zach said “ Official opening date is March 8! I'll be joining up with them full time this Saturday.”

21. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Love the wine talk.

If you want to go to a really great wine store, I highly highly highly recommend Victor’s Wine over in Cheviot https://www.victorswine.com/

I’ve known Paul for years and this is the best wine store I’ve encountered in the greater Cincinnati area by far. My wife and I go there and buy wine by the case and I usually just say “Paul, pick me out something good”. Paul is a Certified Sommelier and can talk to wine cave men like me or at the highest echelons of fine wine. Go give him a try if you are a wine enthusiast.
    Yeah, a Sommelier that you trust is very valuable. I have one in the Dayton area that I’ve known for many years, and he has never steered me wrong.

But, I’m going to mention something about Ohio that really bugs me. Their liquor laws are so antiquated, and there are so many wines and spirits that you can’t get here because they aren’t on the “official list”. Plus, everything is price controlled so the vendor is pretty limited on price breaks. The best they can do is maybe claim “breakage” on a really nice high-end wine, and you can get a discount that way, not that I’ve ever done that before.

Kentucky has a very nice selection of spirits, and I get most of my wine in Binny’s in Chicago since I go up there once or twice a year. They have such a great selection. And not that anyone in Ohio has a reason to be there routinely like I do, New Hampshire has some of the best liquor and wine prices around, and they have strategically located a couple of State liquor stores right off I95. Their prices are so good, that unmarked cops used to follow guys into Massachusetts and Connecticut who were buying alcohol to use it in their restaurants and bars.

Turn Off Ads?