Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/be...w-restaurants/

And yes Doug, I’m bragging about Sartre on this list. Raising successful children in the modern world is a daunting task.

I forgot about Cozy’s Cafe our in West Chester (on this list). It’s a great place. I highly recommend the short rib fries. I had that and lobster Mac and cheese and my arteries seized up. I didn’t eat again for 2 days.
    One of us missed the ribbing that was going on. I can't tell if it was you when I made my post, or me when you replied.

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (02-24-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

A few old mates I've known as far back as kindergarten recently transitioned from a food cart to opening their first brick and mortar in OTR. Their restaurant is called Injoy, and they're located on Republic Street, directly across from Salazar. I don't think they're officially open to the public yet, but check out their Facebook page - they've got some video content there.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 02-24-2018 at 04:17 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

The holy trinity:
    Tuckers
    Price Hill Chili
    Anchor Grill
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/be...w-restaurants/

And yes Doug, I’m bragging about Sartre on this list. Raising successful children in the modern world is a daunting task.

I forgot about Cozy’s Cafe our in West Chester (on this list). It’s a great place. I highly recommend the short rib fries. I had that and lobster Mac and cheese and my arteries seized up. I didn’t eat again for 2 days.
    OK, Roy. You sold me. The wife and I tried it out on Sat night and it did meet expectations. We had the brussel sprouts, sweet potato beignet, short ribs and scallops. We started at Rhinegeist. Good time of yr to hit that micro brew 'cause they have one of my favorites on tap now, Squirrel. It's a very well done nut brown ale. Both places were busy. Rhinegeist had a 30th birthday party and a wedding reception. All the pouring rain was playing havoc with their Directv feed but that's another thread. We usually don't like cavernous restaurants but this one was done very well. Congrats to your son. What he does is hard work and the hours aren't exactly cushy.

I overheard the waiter talking to a table next to mine and I think I heard him say that Rhinegeist owned both the restaurant and the brewery. Is that correct? Or perhaps he was just talking about the real estate. Those Rhinegeist guys must be business/marketing geniuses. They know what they're doing.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 02-25-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Montgomery Inn.

Baby Back Ribs and Saratoga Chips.

On a side note, if i ever go to Indianapolis again I want to go to St Elmo Steakhouse and try the shrimp cocktail. The cocktail sauce is extremely potent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh man, I spent a week in Indy a few years back and we ate there every day, it was soooo good! The shrimp cocktail was amazing, hell, even the ice water was the best I had ever had.
    Last edited by bounty37h; 02-27-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK, Roy. You sold me. The wife and I tried it out on Sat night and it did meet expectations. We had the brussel sprouts, sweet potato beignet, short ribs and scallops. We started at Rhinegeist. Good time of yr to hit that micro brew 'cause they have one of my favorites on tap now, Squirrel. It's a very well done nut brown ale. Both places were busy. Rhinegeist had a 30th birthday party and a wedding reception. All the pouring rain was playing havoc with their Directv feed but that's another thread. We usually don't like cavernous restaurants but this one was done very well. Congrats to your son. What he does is hard work and the hours aren't exactly cushy.

I overheard the waiter talking to a table next to mine and I think I heard him say that Rhinegeist owned both the restaurant and the brewery. Is that correct? Or perhaps he was just talking about the real estate. Those Rhinegeist guys must be business/marketing geniuses. They know what they're doing.
    Glad you liked it. It’s a foodie place but it’s good food.

Yeah, Rheingeist owns the building for Sartre. They paid for it but expect to be repaid for the restaurant in 2 years. From what Zach said, they are on schedule to pay it back in that time frame. They meet their costs just from the food they make for Rheingeist. The restaurant then is all profit. It was 7 figures but I forget the exact amount. They’re doing well.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Best hot wings in Cincinnati?
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    Best hot wings in Cincinnati?
    Lucky Dog Grille in Mason, Grilled and Smoked - superb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

How about Walt’s Hitching Post over in Kentucky? I’m quite fond of that place, but I haven’t been in a while.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I can vouch for Bunkers in Vandalia as well - great draft selection and have not had anything but good food there. Breakfast there is a real draw.

Thai 9 is fantastic, agree that El Mason used to be a go to - but no more. For bar fare, I love the Submarine House (there are a few in Northern Dayton).

We have been to Mulligans in Piqua a few times in the last 3-4 months and everything we ordered has been very good.

I have heard that Knockback Nats is a must try in Cincy. I have stopped by twice with no luck, they have odd hours.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I can vouch for Bunkers in Vandalia as well - great draft selection and have not had anything but good food there. Breakfast there is a real draw.

Thai 9 is fantastic, agree that El Mason used to be a go to - but no more. For bar fare, I love the Submarine House (there are a few in Northern Dayton).

We have been to Mulligans in Piqua a few times in the last 3-4 months and everything we ordered has been very good.

I have heard that Knockback Nats is a must try in Cincy. I have stopped by twice with no luck, they have odd hours.
    Agree 100% on Thai 9 and El Mason. El Mason has run its course. And, you caught my attention with Mulligan's: A wonderful friend of mine plays in a band, and she said she plays there once in a while, but we haven't made it up there yet. Do you remember live music there? Is it a cool place?

For other places in Dayton, I highly recommend Ray's Wine and Spirits if you like wine (I'm a real wine guy). A fantastic selection, and you just pay the state minimum plus $5 corkage. The food is also excellent.

If you like music, there is a new place in Englewood called Mila's. They have ok food, some ok wines and beers, but feature some very good jazz acts. I don't mean boring lounge jazz- I mean the real thing.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    And, you caught my attention with Mulligan's: A wonderful friend of mine plays in a band, and she said she plays there once in a while, but we haven't made it up there yet. Do you remember live music there? Is it a cool place?
    My $.02

They do have live music some times - there was a band there on Wed night and I recall a band setting up on a Friday or Saturday some months back while we where grabbing dinner. I wouldn't call it a "cool" place. They have good food, reasonable prices, and I like the atmosphere (laid back), and the wait staff/bartenders we have encountered are attentive. Mostly 35-50 crowd the nights we have been there, decidedly younger the Wed before Thanksgiving.

It would not be a destination target IMO, more of a good place to drop-in if I am already in the area.

Although I’m a little partial, I’d recommend Sartre OTR.

Next door to Rheingeist in Over The Rhine. http://www.sartreotr.com/
    I see that this place is now closing. Any word on what happened? Does this affect your kid?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ar/2751142001/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I see that this place is now closing. Any word on what happened? Does this affect your kid?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ar/2751142001/
    Yeah. The writing has been on the wall for 2-3 months. If they were more in the heart of OTR they would have killed it. It’s a great place to eat. But it’s out of the way for mainstream dining and the area is still slightly dicey and not convenient to anything besides Rheingeist. Location location location. So, they are retooling into more of a diner-y kind of place that I can’t disclose yet and reopening under a different name. Zach still remains co-chef and is busy planning out the menu. He is pretty disappointed by the events so I’ve been giving him the dad speech about life and all that.

In 2017, Polly Campbell picked Sartre as one of the best restaurants of the year. She wrote, "More boundary-pushing, at least geographically: Sartre OTR opened in the Rhinegeist building, well north of Liberty St. It's a restaurant I look forward to revisiting in 2018, as its French-modern menu evolves and the large stylish dining room takes on a personality. The collaboration between old hand Jim Cornwell and young hand Justin Uchtman (a returnee to his hometown after learning his chops in San Francisco) makes for a solid menu with some flashes of wonderful."

According to the Facebook post, "When one door closes, another opens. So stay tuned to see what we have planned for the space in early 2020!"
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 12-27-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-27-2019)

I agree with all of that Roy. I must say I only ate there once, largely due to it being "out there" although I eat in OTR all the time. I love my meal that one time. If your son is the co-chef then I can attest that he knows what he's doing 'cause I am a foodie. I know what I'm talking about.

I think his skills will be wasted on a more casual menu. I know the restaurant field is a tough one. My suggestion is that he look for an opportunity further south in Cincinnati.

Thanks for the inside scoop on this

19. Likes:

Chip R (12-29-2019),Roy Tucker (01-07-2020)

Turn Off Ads?