Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah. The writing has been on the wall for 2-3 months. If they were more in the heart of OTR they would have killed it. It’s a great place to eat. But it’s out of the way for mainstream dining and the area is still slightly dicey and not convenient to anything besides Rheingeist. Location location location. So, they are retooling into more of a diner-y kind of place that I can’t disclose yet and reopening under a different name. Zach still remains co-chef and is busy planning out the menu. He is pretty disappointed by the events so I’ve been giving him the dad speech about life and all that.
    We ate there about a week and a half ago and we loved it. The food, the service and the atmosphere were fantastic. We were surprised and disappointed when we heard they are closing. Keep us posted about where Zach ends up at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-07-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Perkins on Tylersville Rd in West Chester Twp. has closed for good. It was a Lakota staple for the past 3 decades.

I cooked pancakes, bused tables, and washed dishes there in the 90's.

Yeah. The writing has been on the wall for 2-3 months. If they were more in the heart of OTR they would have killed it. It’s a great place to eat. But it’s out of the way for mainstream dining and the area is still slightly dicey and not convenient to anything besides Rheingeist. Location location location. So, they are retooling into more of a diner-y kind of place that I can’t disclose yet and reopening under a different name. Zach still remains co-chef and is busy planning out the menu. He is pretty disappointed by the events so I’ve been giving him the dad speech about life and all that.
    Is your son involved with this chili place:

Jim Cornwell, who owned Sartre, has devised a new kind of Cincinnati chili restaurant. The restaurant will have the usual ways and coneys, along with a menu of snacks and other meals. There will be sandwiches, wings, salads, a cheese ball and pigs in a blanket made with a locally made cheese mett. "It will be fun and accessible," said Cornwell. "I love Cincinnati chili parlors, and there isn't one in OTR at all."
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ry/4938040002/

6. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Is your son involved with this chili place:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ry/4938040002/
    Yep. That’s Zach’s place. I posted it on Facebook for those of you that know me there.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

RFS62 (04-11-2020)

Yep. That’s Zach’s place. I posted it on Facebook for those of you that know me there.
    But you're neglecting your RZ buds... We expected to hear this from you before we read about it in the Enquirer...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    But you're neglecting your RZ buds... We expected to hear this from you before we read about it in the Enquirer...
    Heck, I didn’t know about the Enquirer article till I saw it on Facebook today.

I know he’s been working his ass off to get everything ready. I think they’re doing a soft opening March 16 and then an official opening March 19. Fingers crossed that this is a better place to open next a brewery.

11. Likes:

North (03-03-2020)

Better late than never. Getting a restaurant licensed and launched during a pandemic is not easy.

https://otrchilico.com/

13. Likes:

RFS62 (04-11-2020),schmidty622 (04-10-2020)

Better late than never. Getting a restaurant licensed and launched during a pandemic is not easy.

https://otrchilico.com/
    Looks great! I'll def be checking out next time I head down from CBUS for a Reds or FCC game.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Looks great! I'll def be checking out next time I head down from CBUS for a Reds or FCC game.
    Yep. Those are the crowds they hope to get. Along with Rheingeist overflow. Lots of good Rheingeist beer on the menu too

They had a *lot* of discussion about pricing. They couldn’t come in way above Skyline or Gold Star.

Right now, it’s just Zach and co-chef Fran with carryout only (I’m trying it tonight). Hopefully when restaurants open back up, they’ll open the dining room.

16. Likes:

RFS62 (04-11-2020),schmidty622 (04-10-2020)

And it’s good.

18. Likes:

RFS62 (04-11-2020)

And it’s good.
    Thanks for the update. I was wondering if this was still "a go" after all this Covid stuff. It's very courageous to start a restaurant venture in this climate, particularly a new chili place (let's face it, this city is covered when it comes to chili)

I've got two questions:

1) With all your son's culinary training, does he feel it's "beneath him" to do a chili place? It's a completely different animal that OTR Satre

2) This question can be directed towards pretty much every restaurant: Can his business model handle an environment where the gov't forces you to cut your dine in seating in half?

I think the reality of our current situation is that when this restaurant ban is lifted, it'll be lifted but only with a requirement that seating be cut in half and I think it'll be that way for a long time; maybe until they get a widespread vaccine. I think most restaurant business models count on packed houses during certain times. Cracker Barrel needs a packed house on Sunday mornings. Holy Grail Bar counts on a packed house on Opening Day and after certain sporting events. On the other hand, Papa Johns does not. I'm wondering how many restaurants can survive given these new rules for an extended period of time.

I need to try one of those Buffalo Trace chocolate milkshakes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A42CF9A3-AD8B-49EA-BE42-D78BAFA2801C.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	15965

21. Likes:

redhawkfish (04-16-2020),Sea Ray (04-16-2020)

OTR Chili dining room opens tomorrow. Go eat!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6BD1D622-F360-4DDE-A003-A6651CF54AB8.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	16096

23. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-20-2020)

OTR Chili dining room opens tomorrow. Go eat!!!
    Yummy!

Will do

They opened on Thursday and Zach said their business has been “absurdly good” since they opened. He said the biggest problem is getting the food up to Rhinegeist and their roof. It’s several flights of stairs up.

With the old Sartre, they had a pneumatic tube they used to shoot burgers up to Rhinegeist. But a 3 way doesn’t survive the 25 ft per sec trip very well. He said they had a fairly hilarious beer-infused night trying to figure out a way to package it securely, but it always ended up a flattened unappetizing pancake of a 3 way. So they’ve talked about hiring kids off a cross country team but for now, they’re doing a lot of running.

26. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (05-26-2020),Rantly (05-26-2020),RFS62 (06-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?