Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    They opened on Thursday and Zach said their business has been “absurdly good” since they opened. He said the biggest problem is getting the food up to Rhinegeist and their roof. It’s several flights of stairs up.

With the old Sartre, they had a pneumatic tube they used to shoot burgers up to Rhinegeist. But a 3 way doesn’t survive the 25 ft per sec trip very well. He said they had a fairly hilarious beer-infused night trying to figure out a way to package it securely, but it always ended up a flattened unappetizing pancake of a 3 way. So they’ve talked about hiring kids off a cross country team but for now, they’re doing a lot of running.
    Can't Trevor Bauer fly a delivery drone up there? =-)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I haven't lived in Cincinnati in 16 years, but one of my favorite restaurants anywhere is The Precinct. I assume it's still there.

I also loved Nicholson's for lunch when I worked downtown. And Arthur's for burgers. No idea if these places are still in existence or not.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I haven't lived in Cincinnati in 16 years, but one of my favorite restaurants anywhere is The Precinct. I assume it's still there.

I also loved Nicholson's for lunch when I worked downtown. And Arthur's for burgers. No idea if these places are still in existence or not.
    All those places were still there prior to the shutdowns

All good things must end. My son got laid off from OTR Chili.

The Rhinegeist investors aren’t willing to fund it through the extremely lean winter months. Their business has dropped to about 10% of what it used to be. They are keeping the head chef on at a $15k pay cut and letting go of everyone else. Rhinegeist does well in its commercial beer distributors, but the bar business is bad. He got a 10 week package with the hope that when it gets into spring, business picks back up. But these are bad times for bars and restaurants.

So if any of you folks know of anywhere that needs a good chef, let me know.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

The Rhinegeist investors aren’t willing to fund it through the extremely lean winter months. Their business has dropped to about 10% of what it used to be. They are keeping the head chef on at a $15k pay cut and letting go of everyone else. Rhinegeist does well in its commercial beer distributors, but the bar business is bad. He got a 10 week package with the hope that when it gets into spring, business picks back up. But these are bad times for bars and restaurants.

Sorry to hear that, Roy. Rough timing with the opening of this restaurant. I don't know anything about the bar/restaurant industry but I gotta believe it's in for a major rebound at some point.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-03-2021),Roy Tucker (01-03-2021)

My heart goes out to all these good, hard working folks in the restaurant industry. I'll preface it with saying that I greatly appreciate the service they're providing. I use their service frequently. My wife and I spend an embarrassing amount of disposable income on restaurants. We're foodies and we'll try most anything.

Your son at this time last year was putting his heart and soul into this chili place. It's gotta be disheartening to be where he is a yr later. I watch this stuff carefully and I don't know how any restaurateur is making it. PPP money isn't going to make a dent into the money these guys are losing.

Google restaurants on their map app sometime and it'll blow you over how many "temporarily closed" comes up. A lot of really good places. I would like to think by Memorial Day most restrictions will be lifted on this industry. By then everyone who wants to be vaccinated will be . As for those that opt out, we can't worry about them.

Please continue to keep us updated on Zach

9. Likes:

Chip R (09-23-2021),goreds2 (03-23-2021),redhawkfish (01-10-2021),Roy Tucker (01-12-2021)

Zach landed as sous chef at Bouquet Restaurant in Covington. It has been his dream restaurant to be at to do his farm to table thing with. So it all worked out.

https://www.bouquetrestaurant.com/

My wife and I have been there a couple times before Zach got a job there. I highly recommend it. Anyplace you can get a flight of bourbons ain’t bad. And they have some darn fine bourbons.

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-23-2021),Chip R (09-23-2021),goreds2 (03-23-2021),Powel Crosley (03-22-2021),redhawkfish (03-22-2021),Sea Ray (03-22-2021)

Restaurant workers aren't disappearing. They've simply moved on

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ed/5586930001/

My son says they are really having a time hiring for both front of the house and kitchen. It’s been particularly hard to find qualified cooks and chefs.

Restaurant workers aren't disappearing. They've simply moved on

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ed/5586930001/

My son says they are really having a time hiring for both front of the house and kitchen. It’s been particularly hard to find qualified cooks and chefs.
    Weirdly enough I went here about two weeks ago. Great food compliments to your son. I will definitely be going back.

Edit meant to quote post above.
    Last edited by Thisyear; 09-19-2021 at 11:07 AM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Zach landed as sous chef at Bouquet Restaurant in Covington. It has been his dream restaurant to be at to do his farm to table thing with. So it all worked out.

https://www.bouquetrestaurant.com/

My wife and I have been there a couple times before Zach got a job there. I highly recommend it. Anyplace you can get a flight of bourbons ain’t bad. And they have some darn fine bourbons.
    That’s wild, my best friend just got a job there a couple weeks ago on the line

15. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That’s wild, my best friend just got a job there a couple weeks ago on the line
    Small world. Probably works side by side with my son. He still pulls shifts as a line cook because they are so understaffed. They are pretty high-end so there have been people they’ve hired and then have either farmed out to other restaurants or plain old let go. Hope your friend does well. It’s a great restaurant with a great concept and great menu. Zach says they continue to have record business.

We went to Seasons 52 tonight and they were jammed. Restaurant week in Cinci and lots of high school homecomings.

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Weirdly enough I went here about two weeks ago. Great food compliments to your son. I will definitely be going back.

Edit meant to quote post above.
    Tried to like your post but the browser didn’t let me. Thanks for the good words.

I like to cook, so we never really go out to many restaurants, but there was one place my wife and I used to like to go to years ago. I think it’s closed now, but it was called the Blue Moon maybe? Out on Columbia Parkway? I just remember driving down along the river, and then it was a little place on the left. I always got a grappa after dinner, and it was one of the few places that had it or even knew what grappa was.

Does that place still exist in some other incarnation?

Edit: wait, I know it had something to do with the moon, but it was called maybe Bella Luna?
    Last edited by BernieCarbo; 09-26-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Yeah, Bella Luna on Eastern Ave. It had really good Italian. A funky place but the food was authentic. We went there a couple times. Closed a few years ago.

https://yelp.to/99viaPiDSjb

The building is BrewRiver Creole now. We’ve never been there but they run a kitchen at Sonder Brewing close to us in Mason. They have good poutine. And a good burger. Great beer.

https://www.brewriversonder.com/menus/
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 09-26-2021 at 09:20 PM.

21. Likes:

Chip R (09-27-2021)

We went to Seasons 52 tonight and they were jammed. Restaurant week in Cinci and lots of high school homecomings.
    I think we went there a while back. Great place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?