Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

Re: Your Favorite Cincinnati Restaurants

The problem that I have is that between all the beers, wines, and bourbons that I like, my liver can’t quite keep up.

But I agree with the philosophy of pairing up wines with food. It’s rare that we just drink wine alone. That is usually with a meal. Beers might be just hanging out with people and bourbons are when, well, when I just want a taste or when a friend says “you *got* to try this”. But when I’m drinking beers with the guys and someone says “hey, let’s do shots”, I know it’s time to go home.

I am partial to Oregon reds and French Bordeaux’s. I’m a mostly red wine guy. Paul has opened my eyes to a broad range. And Party Source just over the river is a great place to shop.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The problem that I have is that between all the beers, wines, and bourbons that I like, my liver can’t quite keep up.

But I agree with the philosophy of pairing up wines with food. It’s rare that we just drink wine alone. That is usually with a meal. Beers might be just hanging out with people and bourbons are when, well, when I just want a taste or when a friend says “you *got* to try this”. But when I’m drinking beers with the guys and someone says “hey, let’s do shots”, I know it’s time to go home.

I am partial to Oregon reds and French Bordeaux’s. I’m a mostly red wine guy. Paul has opened my eyes to a broad range. And Party Source just over the river is a great place to shop.
    Luckily, I really don’t have a taste for beer, and I can literally go all winter without even having one. During the summer if I’m watching a baseball game somewhere, I’ll have a Coors light, or once a while I’ll try an IPA. I do like whiskey and cognac, and some tequilas, but at most I’ll have an ounce or two about once a month, and I can buy a bottle and it lasts for years.

If you like Oregon reds, give French Burgundys or Rhones a try, and save some money at the same time. I’m not sure if your sommelier will agree with me, but I’m guessing he will.

And if you like shellfish, or even something like haddock that’s baked in cream and butter, a Chenin blanc is heavenly. And oysters and cava is what I want for my last meal before I go to the electric chair.

Zach said “ Official opening date is March 8! I'll be joining up with them full time this Saturday.”
    Excellent. I'll spread the word. I hope it does great

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Yes, that’s another thing I like about them. They actually have some old world wines instead of just Napa stuff. They pair much better with the types of food they serve.
    Be curious of what you think of Australian wines. I am a decided novice in this area, but I like pretty much any red wine that comes out of Southeastern Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Be curious of what you think of Australian wines. I am a decided novice in this area, but I like pretty much any red wine that comes out of Southeastern Australia.
    Australia is a big place, and in the beginning when they started pushing their wines, most of them came from the hottest areas, and the results were what you'd expect: Lots of jammy notes because the grapes ripened so well. Not subtle at all, not complex, and just a big fruit bomb. Nothing wrong with that, and I get why people people like that, but I like my jam on toast, not in my wine glass. Given a choice between their primary wine- Shiraz- and the French version which is the same grape- Syrah-, I'll take the French version every time.

But, now they are growing grapes in the cooler regions, and I'm excited about trying some of their Pinot Noirs and Rieslings.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Luckily, I really don’t have a taste for beer, and I can literally go all winter without even having one. During the summer if I’m watching a baseball game somewhere, I’ll have a Coors light, or once a while I’ll try an IPA. I do like whiskey and cognac, and some tequilas, but at most I’ll have an ounce or two about once a month, and I can buy a bottle and it lasts for years.

If you like Oregon reds, give French Burgundys or Rhones a try, and save some money at the same time. I’m not sure if your sommelier will agree with me, but I’m guessing he will.

And if you like shellfish, or even something like haddock that’s baked in cream and butter, a Chenin blanc is heavenly. And oysters and cava is what I want for my last meal before I go to the electric chair.
    Re: beer…. I remember when I was a little kid (like 6 or 7), I was hanging out with neighbor kids talking with a neighbor dad. He was drinking a cold beer and asked us kids if we wanted a drink (this was the late 50’s and this was acceptable). Each kid took a drink and made faces and said how bad it was. I took a drink when it was my turn and I said “say, this is pretty good”. I liked the taste of it even then.

The proverbial fatal glass of beer. I’ve loved beer ever since.

8. Likes:

bm1475 (02-25-2022),goreds2 (02-23-2022)

Zach said “ Official opening date is March 8! I'll be joining up with them full time this Saturday.”
    They’re having a “soft” opening for invited guests this weekend. The wife and I are going tomorrow for brunch. I’ll report my findings afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    We used to drink a lot of Australian Shiraz. I liked them a lot. A sturdy full bodied wine. But my wife gravitated towards the lighter Pinot Noir and well, happy wife, happy life. I’ll sneak in a Merlot or a Bordeaux or even a Cabernet Sauvignon or Cab Franc every so often. Willamette Valley is famous for its Pinots.

3 Ohio Restaurants Land On List Of Best Pastas In The Country

Whether you make pasta at home or head to an Italian restaurant, the delicious dish is sure to satisfy everyone's craving. So, if you're looking for a restaurant in your area to get pasta, Food Network released a list consisting of 98 of the best pasta dishes at different restaurants around the country.

Three Ohio restaurants had their pasta dishes make the list:

No. 9: Chili Spaghetti at Skyline Chili in Cincinnati
    No. 58: Cincinnati Chili at Camp Washington in Cincinnati
    No. 90: Cavatelli Bolognese at Giovanni's Ristorante in Beachwood
    https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20...n-the-country/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

12. Likes:

Roy Tucker (04-15-2022)

Looking in the rear view mirror… OTR Chili closes.

https://www.citybeat.com/food-drink/...doors-12987075

Looking in the rear view mirror… OTR Chili closes.

https://www.citybeat.com/food-drink/...doors-12987075
    Went there a couple times after FCC moved to West End because it was pretty easy to get a table and quick service, even on game days. I took that as a sign they might not make it. They had a really good burger and fries, but I found their chili to just be ok. I think that place would make it big as a companion restaurant to a different brewery that would charge them less rent (Grainworks, I’m looking at you). That space seemed a lot more suited to a Sartre-style restaurant where you make a good deal more than 10-15 bucks per customer.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Went there a couple times after FCC moved to West End because it was pretty easy to get a table and quick service, even on game days. I took that as a sign they might not make it. They had a really good burger and fries, but I found their chili to just be ok. I think that place would make it big as a companion restaurant to a different brewery that would charge them less rent (Grainworks, I’m looking at you). That space seemed a lot more suited to a Sartre-style restaurant where you make a good deal more than 10-15 bucks per customer.
    With all due respect if anyone is affiliated with them - as an out of towner it looks like a hipster chili parlor which I would never peg such a thing for success.

It seemed like a strange concept: high quality (expensive) ingredients for chili. By the time you put it in chili, will you really be able to taste the difference? That's not really the food to go all out with "locally sourced, butcher your own meat, etc etc" I was at Rhinegeist a few weeks ago and I couldn't even tell if they were open from the outside. I guess you could order from upstairs at Rhinegeist but there were no signs by their building on the outside to show how you could order even though their name was there

Taste of Cincinnati is happening this weekend. It will be my first time attending. There will be 36 restaurants and 18 food trucks. I am looking forward to eating a lot of variety. Does anyone have any experience going?
    https://www.tasteofcincinnati.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It seemed like a strange concept: high quality (expensive) ingredients for chili. By the time you put it in chili, will you really be able to taste the difference? That's not really the food to go all out with "locally sourced, butcher your own meat, etc etc" I was at Rhinegeist a few weeks ago and I couldn't even tell if they were open from the outside. I guess you could order from upstairs at Rhinegeist but there were no signs by their building on the outside to show how you could order even though their name was there
    The concept made more sense in 2019 pre-pandemic when people weren’t reluctant to go to in-person restaurants. They had done the marketing studies that indicated the Rheingeist customer said they’d pay a little extra for a more quality product. And Rheingeist at that time was packed all the time. The pandemic changed it all. And you caught them on their last legs. By 2022, they were dead in the water.

Zach is at MadTree Alcove now and they are packing them in. I recommend it.

Turn Off Ads?