Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Wireless Router

Re: New Wireless Router

I did some tweaks to the router. Nothing so drastic like booting a custom firmware, but I did change the channels, turned off QoS. Much improved. My daughter's laptop, which was getting maybe 1 bar of signal strength on the 5ghz network is getting a full signal and 150 MB down. I pay for 200. The 2.4 Ghz band gets me about 50MB down in the room with the router so I may be getting some interference on that.

Overall, pretty stoked, but a little confused on one thing. My Insignia Roku tv in my kid's bedroom using the netflix app speed test has it at about 25MB down, while her laptop, as I mentioned is at 150MB. I wonder if the radio in the tv is weak or if there is a placement issue. I may put another Mesh device in her room to see if that increases the DL speed, but it says it has a full signal.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I did some tweaks to the router. Nothing so drastic like booting a custom firmware, but I did change the channels, turned off QoS. Much improved. My daughter's laptop, which was getting maybe 1 bar of signal strength on the 5ghz network is getting a full signal and 150 MB down. I pay for 200. The 2.4 Ghz band gets me about 50MB down in the room with the router so I may be getting some interference on that.

Overall, pretty stoked, but a little confused on one thing. My Insignia Roku tv in my kid's bedroom using the netflix app speed test has it at about 25MB down, while her laptop, as I mentioned is at 150MB. I wonder if the radio in the tv is weak or if there is a placement issue. I may put another Mesh device in her room to see if that increases the DL speed, but it says it has a full signal.
    Probably just a cheap radio in the TV.

My phone and my Kindle Fire can be sitting next to eachother, in the room with the wifi router in it. My phone will get 220 down. My Fire will get 50ish.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

2.4Ghz band is a dumpster for pretty much everything so 50Mb is actually pretty good. In addition to WiFi, cordless phones, baby monitors, blue tooth devices and even microwave ovens all play in the 2.4 range so its going to be really hard to find a clean channel. Try to keep your devices on the 5Ghz and use the 2.4 for passive stuff like thermostats or things like that.

Is your Roku connected on the 5Ghz or the 2.4?

With the Mesh extender, the roku's are on the 5ghz band. The signal strength is fine, the throughput is weak compared to her laptop sitting right next to the tv.

So for clarification the 50 MB down I am getting in the livingroom is on the 2.4 ghz band. it's an older laptop and I'm having a few issues. I switched from windows 10 on that thing to the latest Ubuntu. I have to make a tweak to allow it to DL at the 50MB speed but when i reboot, the change isn't permanent so it reverts. I need to alter a config file.

My daughter's HP gets at least 150MB down everywhere in the house now. She connects on the 5ghz band.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth the effort to place network drops in every room. Add a gigabit 16 port switch, and run cat6 to every room. let the mobile devices on the wifi and the fixed devices wired.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I was using a really cheap belkin router for years and recently tested download speed. Was averaging between 3-5 Mbps download speed. I just hooked up the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and just tested the download speed:

118.09 Mbps!!!!!

Worth every penny of $200
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I was using a really cheap belkin router for years and recently tested download speed. Was averaging between 3-5 Mbps download speed. I just hooked up the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 and just tested the download speed:

118.09 Mbps!!!!!

Worth every penny of $200
    OK, when you say cheap, do you mean literally the first one they rolled off the assembly line?

8. Likes:

TRF (10-02-2018)

Turn Off Ads?