Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2018 Golf Thread

Re: 2018 Golf Thread

There are 2 players who, under no circumstances, should ever play alternate shot: Phil Mickelson and Bubba Watson. But somehow Furyk thought it would be a good to have both of them out there today.

The Mickelson/DeChambeau pairing is the worst pairing decision I can remember by a captain. And I said this when it was announced. Mickelson has been god awful for the better part of 3 months. He finished dead last at last week's TOUR Championship, 24 shots behind Tiger.

DeChambeau had a great year, but we saw how he dealt with serious pressure last week when he crapped on himself with a chance to win the FedExCup.

Phil and Bryson are both very streaky and volatile. So why the hell are they in the same group in alternate shot? It was pretty much an automatic loss before it started.

Furyk tried to get cute this afternoon. And it's going to cost them.

Mickelson should not play again until singles. I was hoping upon hope that Furyk would be brave enough to not pick Mickelson, but that wasn't very realistic. That wood have taken some brass ones. I wanted Xander Schauffelle.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-28-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Mickelson/DeChambeau has been bad, but not that much worse than the other three matches. It will take a miracle for the US to not lose all four afternoon matches at this point.

5. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2018)

The Golf Channel guys have all been saying all week that Mickelson should never play alternate shot. It's not like it's a hard thing to understand. Furyk overthought himself.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Mickelson/DeChambeau has been bad, but not that much worse than the other three matches. It will take a miracle for the US to not lose all four afternoon matches at this point.
    No miracle today. Did they even show up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Was that slate of matches the most lopsided in history? Can't imagine there's ever been worse.

Was that slate of matches the most lopsided in history? Can't imagine there's ever been worse.
    Sunday in 2012

Were all those matches won 3up or better?

Were all those matches won 3up or better?
    I think so.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The Golf Channel guys have all been saying all week that Mickelson should never play alternate shot. It's not like it's a hard thing to understand. Furyk overthought himself.
    Phil never should have been a Captain's pick. I went back and looked and he is under .500 in his career at the Ryder Cup. Had he been a guy who was great at the Ryder Cup then I would understand the pick. But as is, he was picked because of his name and not his game. He should have been a "Vice-Captain" if you wanted him over there. I also think that with Phil and Tiger being picked, you have two guys who probably are only going to play once a day. I don't think it makes sense to have both on the roster, and at this point, Tiger is much more deserving.

The think about the Ryder Cup is you need to find out early who is hot and who isn't. You need to find the pairings that work and the ones that don't. I don't really mind the Phil and DeChambeau pairing, but would have reserved it for the four ball and not the foursomes. The US needs to have a strong showing in the 4 ball tomorrow because if they don't the Euros will be raring to go in the afternoon foursomes.

13. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2018)

Luckily I never got that into the Ryder Cup. I think it's kind of a fun event, but serious golf, to me, is an individual thing. If I cared too much about it, I'd be really frustrated at how bad the U.S. team (outside of Thomas/Spieth) is playing. Phil got benched like everyone wanted...not really making a difference.

Now watch the US sweep the afternoon. Lol

Seems as if Mr. Furyk made a couple of lousy captain's picks. C'est la vie.

Patrick Reed is the worst.

Well, there's always the President's Cup.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Whoever is responsible for choosing Furyk should all be banned for life from that commitee.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Whoever is responsible for choosing Furyk should all be banned for life from that commitee.
    Furyk just didn't have the guts to tell Phil no. And to be honest, Tiger earned a spot late, but his Ryder Cup record leaves alot to be desired.

Reed does have a gripe. I look at it two ways. Speith and Thomas were the only pairing working, going 3-1 in the first two days. But one has to wonder had they broken them up if they would have done better as a team.

Turn Off Ads?