Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton coming to Cincinnati in 2019

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Hamilton coming to Cincinnati in 2019

The cheapest ticket is $691 thought. That's outrageous. Has anyone else ever been to the Aronoff Center and paid anything remotely close to that? It's amazing that something could become such a cultural phenomenon when the cost is prohibitive for most of the country.

But if anybody is looking for gifts for me...
    https://www.ticketnetwork.com/en/the...1&xtor=AL-144-[ir]-[324151]
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hamilton coming to Cincinnati in 2019

I've got news for you: He's been here for a few years now in CF for the Reds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

757690 (03-15-2018),cumberlandreds (03-15-2018),goreds2 (03-16-2018),HeatherC1212 (03-18-2018),Hoosier Red (03-20-2018),marcshoe (03-15-2018),WildcatFan (03-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    The cheapest ticket is $691 thought. That's outrageous. Has anyone else ever been to the Aronoff Center and paid anything remotely close to that? It's amazing that something could become such a cultural phenomenon when the cost is prohibitive for most of the country.

But if anybody is looking for gifts for me...
    https://www.ticketnetwork.com/en/the...1&xtor=AL-144-[ir]-[324151]
    I'm pretty sure that is a reseller network. The ticket prices on those are always going to be higher to start. Best bet is go to the source and see if they have tickets left.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is a reseller network. The ticket prices on those are always going to be higher to start. Best bet is go to the source and see if they have tickets left.
    Oh you might be right. It came from a Facebook event that looked awfully official.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I've got news for you: He's been here for a few years now in CF for the Reds.
    We're talking Joey here.

Fwiw the Vegas prices are similar. I thought that was because it was Vegas.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I cannot comprehend spending that kind of money on a 3 hr musical or play. It honestly makes me question the IQ of the people that pay it.

If you can afford blowing $700 on a musical ticket, take that money and give it to charity.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Compared to the investment that it took to get tickets the “normal” way through the Aronoff box office (season tickets this year and next year), $691 is probably a bargain. Granted, we’re going to see about 10 additional shows, but still. We’re also going to see a lot of crap I would have passed on.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I cannot comprehend spending that kind of money on a 3 hr musical or play. It honestly makes me question the IQ of the people that pay it.

If you can afford blowing $700 on a musical ticket, take that money and give it to charity.
    I paid more to see it in New York. Worth it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

11. Likes:

757690 (03-15-2018),wally post (03-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I paid more to see it in New York. Worth it.
    How was it worth it?

I mean honestly, was it just so you could tell your friends you saw it and how amaaaaaazing it was? It seems to me if someone pays $1000 for a ticket to a musical there’s no way they would ever admit it was anything but great.

I took a look at the song lyrics before, it seems like amateur rap to me.

I just don’t get it, I guess.

How was it worth it?

I mean honestly, was it just so you could tell your friends you saw it and how amaaaaaazing it was? It seems to me if someone pays $1000 for a ticket to a musical there’s no way they would ever admit it was anything but great.

Reading the lyrics of a broadway musical is like reading the box score of a baseball game. You’ll get the basic inoformarion, but you won’t understand how exciting the game was.

Until you see it, it’s hard to explain. Myself and everyone I know who saw it describe it as a transformitive experience. For me, this is why it worked,

1. It’s extremely educational. You learn in great detail how this nation was formed, and the personalities behind it.
    2.Hamilton’s life’s is an incredible story, in which if written as fiction would be hard to believe. He was the son of West Indies prostitute who, through intelligence, hard work and determination, became one of our country’s founding fathers. He overcame extreme predjudice and classism his whole life, and was never fully accepted by many of the other founding fathers, and that eventually lead to his untimely death.
    3. It’s a beautiful production. From the state design to the costumes, to the amazing choreography, it’s a spectacle that never lets up over three hours. It was the fastest three hours I ever spent in a theatre.
    4. Even though it’s about our founding fathers, the cast is very diverse. Miranda reimagines each founding father in a very creative way. For example, Thomas Jefferson is played more like Bootsy Collins than a founding father.
    5. It’s crazy fun. You come out, exhausted and exhilarated, on a super high, like after watching the Reds win the World Series.

Again, hard to explain until you see it. But I don’t know anyone who regretted seeing it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-20-2018)

How was it worth it?

It was worth it because it was an amazing experience and night that I'll remember the rest of my life. I've spent money on way dumber things.

Looking at the lyrics of any musical isn't really going to do much for you. You can get a good sense by listening to it on Spotify, it's under 2 hours and there's very little dialogue - the songs are everything - so you get the entire idea.

I would for sure say it wasn't worth it if it wasn't worth it, specifically to warn people against repeating my dumb mistake.

I bought season tickets in Columbus for 2017-2018 year so I could get Hamilton tickets this year. We'll see if that's worth it, I'm not sure if the touring production will be much worse or not. The nice thing is the entire upcoming season in Columbus is pretty good. Apart from Hello Dolly I kind of think they picked a "younger" set of shows to pair with Hamilton.

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reading the lyrics of a broadway musical is like reading the box score of a baseball game. You’ll get the basic inoformarion, but you won’t understand how exciting the game was.

Until you see it, it’s hard to explain. Myself and everyone I know who saw it describe it as a transformitive experience. For me, this is why it worked,

1. It’s extremely educational. You learn in great detail how this nation was formed, and the personalities behind it.
    2.Hamilton’s life’s is an incredible story, in which if written as fiction would be hard to believe. He was the son of West Indies prostitute who, through intelligence, hard work and determination, became one of our country’s founding fathers. He overcame extreme predjudice and classism his whole life, and was never fully accepted by many of the other founding fathers, and that eventually lead to his untimely death.
    3. It’s a beautiful production. From the state design to the costumes, to the amazing choreography, it’s a spectacle that never lets up over three hours. It was the fastest three hours I ever spent in a theatre.
    4. Even though it’s about our founding fathers, the cast is very diverse. Miranda reimagines each founding father in a very creative way. For example, Thomas Jefferson is played more like Bootsy Collins than a founding father.
    5. It’s crazy fun. You come out, exhausted and exhilarated, on a super high, like after watching the Reds win the World Series.

Again, hard to explain until you see it. But I don’t know anyone who regretted seeing it.
    I listened to some of the songs as well, again.. sounded like amateur rap.

Anyways, that’s great, I’m glad you enjoyed it. My problem really isn’t with the musical itself, it’s the amount of money spent on it. If someone is financially able to drop thousands of dollars on 3 hours of entertainment please consider giving that to a worthwhile charity instead.

If someone is financially able to drop thousands of dollars on 3 hours of entertainment please consider giving that to a worthwhile charity instead.
    no

19. Likes:

Big Klu (03-15-2018),Hoosier Red (03-20-2018),nmculbreth (03-15-2018)

Could you not say the same thing with pretty much anything. If you can afford a $300k house, why not purchase one for $285K and donate $15K to a worthwhile charity. Willing to drop $200 at Ruby's? Why not hit McDonalds and donate $200 to a worthwhile charity? Get a new 60" TV capable of playing 4K for $1500, even though your current 48" TV plays everything you throw at it, why not stick with that and donate it to charity? etc, etc, etc.

Look, on the surface, I agree...I'm not going to spend $1200-$1400 on a couple of tickets to any theater production (or movie, sporting event, concert, etc.) but that's not my thing. If someone else wants to do so, who am I to judge if it was worth it to them. Not worth it to me, but I'm sure I've spend money on things they'd never spend money on...
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

21. Likes:

dabvu2498 (03-15-2018),Hoosier Red (03-20-2018),Redsfaithful (03-15-2018)

How was it worth it?

Exactly when did the universe appoint RTG as the point person in charge of determining how other people should spend their money?

23. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-20-2018)

Turn Off Ads?