Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NCAA Sweet 16 Day 1

Re: NCAA Sweet 16 Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    The "one and done" formula has been somewhat a success for Cal. However, let's count banners in his tenure. To me, an outsider, the magic is wearing off. TBH, if there was even any magic there. If I was a coach there is no way in hell I would want to rebuild every year. Balance your recruiting classes. But that is just me.
    I have seen more complaining about the one and dones on boards like this than I ever have. I think over a big portion of the fans this is growing very tiresome of basically having a new team every year. I know I am. Cal's two best teams had many to comeback for a 2nd or even 3rd season, 2012 and 2015. You would think he would see balance is the way to go.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I have seen more complaining about the one and dones on boards like this than I ever have. I think over a big portion of the fans this is growing very tiresome of basically having a new team every year. I know I am. Cal's two best teams had many to comeback for a 2nd or even 3rd season, 2012 and 2015. You would think he would see balance is the way to go.
    I am a Duke alum and have honestly lost most of my interest in college BBall over the years with the one and dones. The quality of play just isn't very good across the board and there is little emotional attachment to anyone wearing the unifrom that is a rent a semester player.

Once Coack K and Kansas/UNC sold out to the one and done approach the Calipari formula isn't as effective and makes for ugly years when the young talent doesn't gel.

The only exciting thing is the one and done formula has made for some unpredictable tourneys. THe downside is by the time you get to the Final Four many of the games since 2010 have been dreadful to watch.

Kentucky and Duke fans complaining about one and dones.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-23-2018),oregonred (03-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I am a Duke alum and have honestly lost most of my interest in college BBall over the years with the one and dones. The quality of play just isn't very good across the board and there is little emotional attachment to anyone wearing the unifrom that is a rent a semester player.

Once Coack K and Kansas/UNC sold out to the one and done approach the Calipari formula isn't as effective and makes for ugly years when the young talent doesn't gel.

The only exciting thing is the one and done formula has made for some unpredictable tourneys. THe downside is by the time you get to the Final Four many of the games since 2010 have been dreadful to watch.
    I didn't realize UNC had sold out to the one and done-yes, they had Tony Bradley go pro after last season but that hadn't been planned and was only after good run in the NCAA's and got good feedback base don his size and potential. That's not to say Roy hasn't recruited some of them and not landed them, but I think part of that is because he isn't willing to sell out to one and done, he would love to have a few but they would still have to play to his system which most of them want to be showcased which he wont do. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few seasons watching players develop and become seniors, and would hate to see them go the one and done priority route and have to learn a new team every year.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I didn't realize UNC had sold out to the one and done-yes, they had Tony Bradley go pro after last season but that hadn't been planned and was only after good run in the NCAA's and got good feedback base don his size and potential. That's not to say Roy hasn't recruited some of them and not landed them, but I think part of that is because he isn't willing to sell out to one and done, he would love to have a few but they would still have to play to his system which most of them want to be showcased which he wont do. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last few seasons watching players develop and become seniors, and would hate to see them go the one and done priority route and have to learn a new team every year.
    Apparently at UNC, African American Studies is so difficult that one and done's can't handle it and they choose to go to school elsewhere.

8. Likes:

Chip R (03-23-2018),cumberlandreds (03-23-2018),RedTeamGo! (03-23-2018)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Kentucky and Duke fans complaining aboutar one and dones.
    That was a good line!

I am more a Buckeye at heart and the one and dones really hurt Thad Matta after Calipari started the trend. I was surprised Coach K followed but it did help him win him a title in 2014-2015 with a huge assist from Wisconsin to upset the invincible Kentucky Wildcats

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    He has actively recruited the top 10 guys each year but has not landed them so far. The Roy see-no-evil formula of no academic requirements and mixing upper classman with young talent not quite one and done calibar has worked out very well.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's crazy. Just looked and not one person listed in first two rounds of two major institutions playing in a Sweet-16 matchup. Someone is going to get some attention from this game.
    FSU had more NBA talent last year, when they came in as a 3 seed and got rolled by Xavier in the second round. This year, they were a 9 seed with no obvious NBA-bound stars, and here they still are. Tournament basketball is funny sometimes.

What they do have is a legit 10-deep with lots of size and interchangeable parts, so they're largely immune to fatigue and foul trouble. The thing to watch for is, even on good days they still have one or two prolonged stretches where they forget how to play half-court offense. So far, defense and transition offense have been getting the job done, but that style works better against some teams than others. I haven't watched Michigan play in any depth so I don't know how the matchup looks.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

A couple of buddies and I are going to head over to the game tomorrow night. The text chain started out this morning: Dude - #9 Kansas State vs. #11 Loyola, with the winner going to the Final Four!?!? How can we not go to that?

We have 2 stated goals:

Get into the game for $10 or less, and

Get a photo with Sister Jean.

13. Likes:

IslandRed (03-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    That was a good line!

I am more a Buckeye at heart and the one and dones really hurt Thad Matta after Calipari started the trend. I was surprised Coach K followed but it did help him win him a title in 2014-2015 with a huge assist from Wisconsin to upset the invincible Kentucky Wildcats
    Duke is going to be interesting to watch next year. But to be fair, the gift from Wisconsin aside in 2015, Duke hasn’t fared much better with the blending of the one and dones. A second round exit last year and Sweet 16 the year before. This year is still being written.

Next year though will likely be Coach Ks first look at a freshman heavy team. There’s no Grayson Allen for leadership. Tre Jones, Cam Reddish, RJ Barrett, and Zion Williamson will be counted on for heavy minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Congratulations to the Oregon State Women for giving Tennessee their first ever tournament loss in the State of Tennessee a few days ago. Try to ride that wave against Baylor tomorrow night.
    #6 Seed Oregon State Women knocked off #2 Seed Baylor tonight to get to Elite-8. Face #1 Seed Louisville/#4 Seed Stanford.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?