Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Expansion

Rob Manfred is floating the 'E' word again:

MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM
    @MLBNetworkRadio

ICYMI - Commissioner Rob Manfred discussed his desire to expand the league, today on "The Leadoff Spot":

"I'd like to get to 32."
    5:24pm · 29 Mar 2018
    There's an audio link on the tweet. Manfred apparently says Montreal and San Antonio are big league cities.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Expansion

Just what we need, more bad pitching.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

4. Likes:

KeefeCato (11-23-2021)

I'm for it. 20 years is officially the longest MLB has gone without expansion since it started expanding.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Kinsm (03-29-2018),RiverRat13 (03-29-2018),Tom Servo (03-29-2018),Tomlin8 (02-27-2020),WrongVerb (03-29-2018)

Montreal seems like the obvious one.

I've always thought that Mexico City would be a great choice if the city wasn't so far from the border.

Should have already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Montreal seems like the obvious one.

I've always thought that Mexico City would be a great choice if the city wasn't so far from the border.
    Monterrey is the place to expand to if they go to Mexico...wealthier, closer, and not as far above sea level.

10. Likes:

boognish (03-30-2018),NebraskaRed (03-29-2018)

MLB beating the NFL to the punch in San Antonio would probably be a good move, they seem undeserved with only the Spurs and an NSAL soccer team.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

redsmetz (01-06-2021)

Why expand when there are two complete joke organizations with Miami and Tampa Bay? Just move them to Montreal and SA.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-29-2018),REDREAD (02-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why expand when there are two complete joke organizations with Miami and Tampa Bay? Just move them to Montreal and SA.
    I mostly agree but it's too late for that option. The Marlins still have their new ballpark and the Rays are set to get a new one in a few seasons. Right now Oakland is the only team that could still legitimately look at relocation.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

OGB (03-29-2018),RedsRocker (04-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They're not jokes because of their location, though, right? I mean, Miami is a massive market.

The ownership would remain.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    They're not jokes because of their location, though, right? I mean, Miami is a massive market.

The ownership would remain.
    That massive market is made up largely of transplants from other cities, whose allegiance is with another team, not the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    MLB beating the NFL to the punch in San Antonio would probably be a good move, they seem undeserved with only the Spurs and an NSAL soccer team.
    Really important to beat MLS to the punch in San Antonio. That applies to Sacramento and Charlotte too. I suspect it's going to be hard for MLB to get a foothold in Nashville, which starts in MLS in 2020. Montreal has a metro population of more than 4 million, so two summertime pro leagues is less of an issue there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    That massive market is made up largely of transplants from other cities, whose allegiance is with another team, not the Marlins.
    There's certainly truth to that but it gets overstated. Look at the D'Backs, Arizona is full of transplants but they've still built up a loyal regular crowd. The problem ultimately isn't with the fans, it's the Marlins.

22. Likes:

CaiGuy (03-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    There's certainly truth to that but it gets overstated. Look at the D'Backs, Arizona is full of transplants but they've still built up a loyal regular crowd. The problem ultimately isn't with the fans, it's the Marlins.
    Miami is a lousy sports town in every aspect. They’re the ultimate front runners. It’s gone from a Canes/Dolphins/Marlins/Heat town so many times over the last 30 years it’s difficult to keep up.

24. Likes:

gagliano (03-29-2018)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Curious to hear what Charles Barkley thinks about expanding into San Antonio...
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

26. Likes:

Freak25 (03-29-2018)

Turn Off Ads?