Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion

Re: Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    They're not worried about pitchers running the bases, I think they're worried about using their entire pitching staff in 19 inning games
    So the answer isn't use a ghost runner in the 10th inning, if a game gets to say the 12th inning, then maybe use a ghost runner. I have no idea what the percentage of extra innings games are that go into 12 innings or longer, but my intuition is its a lot less than 10-11 inning games.
    Where we gonna go?

2. Likes:

KYExtemper (07-01-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Problem is, with this Reds” bullpen, there’s really no point for a ghost runner in extra innings. They usually allow plenty of “normal” base runners.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I mostly agree but it's too late for that option. The Marlins still have their new ballpark and the Rays are set to get a new one in a few seasons. Right now Oakland is the only team that could still legitimately look at relocation.
    I think many are expecting the A's to end up in Vegas.

Do they remember how the Expos ended? They split their schedule with San Juan Puerto Rico. Before that there were rumors they'd be a victim of contraction. MLB bought the team from the owner and then loaned him money to buy the Marlins. Their 1999 payroll was $17.9M. They turned out some really good players in the 70's and remained remarkably competitive considering budget constraints. In the end they decided it better to move them to a city that had already lost two previous MLB franchises. Now they're considering Montreal again?

I've kind of been hoping Phil would make good his threat to relocate, then have the Rays move up from Tampa. While I'm dreaming I added in a "Cleveland Browns" kind of deal like when the expansion Browns got to keep the historical records of the previous Browns. The records now way the Ravens all time leading rusher is Jamal Lewis, not Jim Brown. A contending team, capable front office, no Phil Castellini, and have the legendary Big Red Machine remain in their history. Pretty good deal huh?

There are several obvious candidates for expansion.

• Montreal
    • Mexico City
    • Portland
    • San Antonio/Austin (Houston will object, and the market rule for tv will implode on itself were this to happen.)
    • OKC is a fringe choice
    • Nashville?
    • something something Carolina

So no real shortage of locations. What they want is NFL style divisions and playoffs. I can't say I'm against it, but you'd almost have to scale back to 154 games. Also realignment will be interesting. If TX and Houston can be in the same division... yeah. Some rivalries will want to stay rivals. Some may want new ones. Also, after all this time, I still cannot get used to the Brewers in the NL. Its weird.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've got to imagine any realignment would be along geographic lines. Some interesting permutations there.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That falls on them not the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Ghost runner is this year only and I believe a shift move is scheduled for next year
    I don't really hear it talked about all that much, and I don't understand why. Most anyone that's watched the game become reduced to the "three outcomes" knows that the shift is part of why that's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    There are several obvious candidates for expansion.

• Montreal
    • Mexico City
    • Portland
    • San Antonio/Austin (Houston will object, and the market rule for tv will implode on itself were this to happen.)
    • OKC is a fringe choice
    • Nashville?
    • something something Carolina

So no real shortage of locations. What they want is NFL style divisions and playoffs. I can't say I'm against it, but you'd almost have to scale back to 154 games. Also realignment will be interesting. If TX and Houston can be in the same division... yeah. Some rivalries will want to stay rivals. Some may want new ones. Also, after all this time, I still cannot get used to the Brewers in the NL. Its weird.
    Good post.

I just don’t see Mexico City as a realistic option though. The elevation there is over 2,000 feet higher than Denver. I caddied in an LPGA Tour event there way back when and the ball went 15% farther than “normal” conditions, approximately 5% father than Denver. The outfield would have to be massive there, another 5% bigger than Coors Field. Think 380’ down the line and 460’ dead center. Now, I’m all for more action and balls in play, but you’d have to have an OF of Usain Bolt’s to cover that acreage.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

10. Likes:

Big Klu (06-30-2022),Chip R (07-01-2022),cumberlandreds (06-30-2022),KYExtemper (07-01-2022),mth123 (06-30-2022),Old school 1983 (06-30-2022)

Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    I don't really hear it talked about all that much, and I don't understand why. Most anyone that's watched the game become reduced to the "three outcomes" knows that the shift is part of why that's happening.
    Joe P weighs in

Yes, I’m aware that banning the shift will not solve baseball’s low-batting average problems. Joe Sheehan, among others, believes that banning the shift will actually exacerbate the problem because it will incentivize the sort of pull-hitting that leads to strikeouts and fewer balls in play. And that might be right.

But there’s just something so comforting about seeing a team play conventional infield defense. For me, it’s like having my bearings again. You know exactly where the hits are. You know exactly where the potentially great plays are. The holes in the infield — between third and short, up the middle, between second and first — are like old friends.
    Is that the most effective and analytically sound way to play defense? No. And I totally get the philosophical question: If it’s the job of the defense to make outs, why SHOULDN’T you be allowed to put fielders where you expect the ball to be hit?
    I’ll tell you why: In hockey, in the mid-1990s, the New Jersey Devils began implementing the neutral zone trap, a defensive strategy that I would explain to you if I knew hockey. Many other teams followed, and it cut scoring and made the game intensely boring. The NHL put in a bunch of new rules (eliminating the two-line pass rule, creating a goalkeeper-restricted zone, and so on) to stop the effectiveness of the neutral zone trap.

Philosophically, there was nothing wrong with the neutral zone trap.

But it made the game kind of stink for fans, so they got rid of it.

In the 1990s, the Pat Riley Knicks began playing this bruising physical style of basketball. It was effective, so other teams followed suit. The league scoring average dropped from 101.4 points per game in 1994-95 (after 37 consecutive seasons of teams averaging 100 points per game) all the way down to 91.6 points per game in 1997-98. The NBA legalized zone defenses, got rid of hand checks, and did anything they could to balance the scales of the sport.

Philosophically, there was nothing wrong with playing physical defense.

In the late 1970s, NFL teams barely ever passed the ball. Defensive backs were allowed to do pretty much whatever they wanted to receivers, so passing games were nullified. Teams were running 55%, 60%, 65% of the time. Points were way down. The NFL wrote up rules that limited defensive backs to one bump of the receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, they gave offensive linemen freedom to use their hands, and the whole game changed.
    Philosophically, there was nothing wrong with the old defensive style of football.

You can see the trend. Baseball has rarely changed the on-field rules in an attempt to make the game more entertaining for fans. Yes, they have done it — they lowered the mound in 1969, and they added the DH shortly after that, and they’ve probably tinkered with the baseball now and again — but for the most part, baseball has a laissez-faire approach to the game. That’s how we got here. I don’t know if banning the shift will make the game better, but I also do not know many people who LIKE the shift. Most people I know think it makes the game, yes, kind of stink.

So get rid of it. Maybe banning the shift will have a positive impact on batting averages and give us more hits and balls in play. Maybe it won’t. No idea. But, either way, seriously, who is going to miss it?

12. Likes:

Chip R (07-01-2022),lollipopcurve (07-01-2022),M2 (06-30-2022),Redhook (06-30-2022),Revering4Blue (06-30-2022),TRF (07-05-2022),Wonderful Monds (06-30-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Stop babying pitching staffs. They are going to get hurt no matter what - and locking them out over the winter and then rushing the season hurt them way more than any baserunning may have.
    Another irritating analytics influence sucking all the fun out of the sport.

I’m usually on board with all the player’s labor demands, but whining about having to play extra innings games does not get any sympathy from me whatsoever. We’ve managed to have extra innings games be a standard part of baseball for the 100+ years it’s been a sport, and until the last 2 years it’s never been a problem.

If you’re getting paid obscene amounts of money as these dudes get, you can suck it up and play the occasional 12 inning ballgame and I’m sure you’ll survive.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-01-2022),Crumbley (07-01-2022),TNRED (07-01-2022),Tuff Nut (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Another irritating analytics influence sucking all the fun out of the sport.

I’m usually on board with all the player’s labor demands, but whining about having to play extra innings games does not get any sympathy from me whatsoever. We’ve managed to have extra innings games be a standard part of baseball for the 100+ years it’s been a sport, and until the last 2 years it’s never been a problem.

If you’re getting paid obscene amounts of money as these dudes get, you can suck it up and play the occasional 12 inning ballgame and I’m sure you’ll survive.
    I would love to see the data on viewership during extras. I suspect that's partially driving this bus.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just let games end in a tie.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

Big Klu (06-30-2022),cumberlandreds (07-01-2022),Jaysland Red (06-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Good post.

I just don’t see Mexico City as a realistic option though. The elevation there is over 2,000 feet higher than Denver. I caddied in an LPGA Tour event there way back when and the ball went 15% farther than “normal” conditions, approximately 5% father than Denver. The outfield would have to be massive there, another 5% bigger than Coors Field. Think 380’ down the line and 460’ dead center. Now, I’m all for more action and balls in play, but you’d have to have an OF of Usain Bolt’s to cover that acreage.
    Well, the Diablos Rojos del México and the other visiting teams don’t seem to have any problems playing baseball there.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. How about: Reds, Tigers, Indians and Jays in the same division?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    Well, the Diablos Rojos del México and the other visiting teams don’t seem to have any problems playing baseball there.
    Another major obstacle is that travel would be insane. The closest major-league city (Houston) to Mexico City is 750 miles away, and Houston and Dallas are the only MLB cities that are less than 1000 miles away.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

20. Likes:

mth123 (07-01-2022),Revering4Blue (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Another major obstacle is that travel would be insane. The closest major-league city (Houston) to Mexico City is 750 miles away, and Houston and Dallas are the only MLB cities that are less than 1000 miles away.
    Tampa Bay is 948 miles away from the closest team in its division (Baltimore).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tampa Bay is 948 miles away from the closest team in its division (Baltimore).
    But there are MLB cities that are closer (Miami, Atlanta).

And there's a lot of people who wouldn't mind seeing Tampa go away as a MLB city.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?