Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion

Re: Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Contraction is like a death rattle for the league, so I'm on the "no contraction ever" bus.

And in the wake of COVID and the impending lockout, I'm thinking those expansion fees are going to be dancing like sugar plums in the dreams of the owners. The question, IMO, is how many teams the look to add over the next decade. My guess is six. I think they're going to go big.
    My interest is in the quality on the field, of course. Six would bring in money and some new fans, but the quality suffers and the game suffers in the long run.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    My interest is in the quality on the field, of course. Six would bring in money and some new fans, but the quality suffers and the game suffers in the long run.
    I don't buy into that. Used to, but I've dropped it. In absolute terms, less terms would always mean a higher concentration of better players on each team. However, I question whether that creates a better game. More concentrated quality in each lineup makes the game treacherous for pitchers. And we'd see less variety in players. The guys who can rake would get the jobs while the guys who have to contribute in other ways would get squeezed.

For those looking to break the logjam of our current three true outcomes style of play, I tend to think more chaos will be the more effective way to achieve it. It also allows for the great players to stand out. Expansion was a big part of Mays, Aaron and Koufax shining in the 1960s. It increases the distance from the penthouse to the basement and allows for a lot of weirdness in between. So my take is, if they expand, we probably get a less complacent league with greater opportunities for teams to find winning combinations. I would classify that as a better product on the field.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't buy into that. Used to, but I've dropped it. In absolute terms, less terms would always mean a higher concentration of better players on each team. However, I question whether that creates a better game. More concentrated quality in each lineup makes the game treacherous for pitchers. And we'd see less variety in players. The guys who can rake would get the jobs while the guys who have to contribute in other ways would get squeezed.

For those looking to break the logjam of our current three true outcomes style of play, I tend to think more chaos will be the more effective way to achieve it. It also allows for the great players to stand out. Expansion was a big part of Mays, Aaron and Koufax shining in the 1960s. It increases the distance from the penthouse to the basement and allows for a lot of weirdness in between. So my take is, if they expand, we probably get a less complacent league with greater opportunities for teams to find winning combinations. I would classify that as a better product on the field.
    Currently pitchers have the upper hand. Sure, by increasing the number of pitchers will lead to poorer pitching in general, I am not sure that stops hitters from overemphasizing launch angle.

The league will zag though. Contact hitters are being sought out by some clubs. Stress from improved pitching and the resulting evolution from quality hitters will give balance. Expansion disrupts that evolution.

I’d be happy if there were a MLB team in Cincinnati, instead of the minor league one we have now

Seriously, I am disappointed by the anti-Mexican sentiment in this thread. MLB would thrive there, especially in Mexico City where, personally, I have always felt safe and welcome. There is a huge and enthusiastic sports fanbase there and not just for soccer. However, for expansion, I’d favour Montreal and Vancouver, for obvious reasons!

With the success of the Raiders and Golden Knights, and the demographics, you can expect Vegas to be a substantial contender for an expansion team. And then probably a foreign one, likely Monterrey, Mexico City, or Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    With the success of the Raiders and Golden Knights, and the demographics, you can expect Vegas to be a substantial contender for an expansion team. And then probably a foreign one, likely Monterrey, Mexico City, or Montreal.
    I've come the stance that they should do Monterrey and Mexico City at the same time.

There isn't enough pitching in majors anyways... so of course MLB will choose now to expand and so we have to watch more Patrick Corbin's are in the league! Great!

#FireManfred
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    There isn't enough pitching in majors anyways... so of course MLB will choose now to expand and so we have to watch more Patrick Corbin's are in the league! Great!

#FireManfred
    Probably more like more Jeff Hoffmans, and I wouldn't necessarily assume a guy like Hoffman wouldn't thrive in an an expanded league. Those AAAA pitcher types might find enough extra outs in each lineup to thrive.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Let the rumors begin...

Rob Manfred wants you to know: He doesn't hate baseball, he wants to save it

No matter how they see the CBA's fine print, owners seem thrilled with Manfred's job performance. And why wouldn't they be? Despite its array of problems, league sources say baseball has grown into a $10 billion-plus-a-year sport, up from $8 billion when Manfred became commissioner. Owners also loved Manfred's reorganization of the minor leagues in 2020, and in the past decade, franchise valuations have more than quadrupled. Not surprisingly, billionaires want in, and expansion is coming. "I would love to get to 32 teams," Manfred tells me.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-30-2022),M2 (06-30-2022)

Before they expand, since they're so worried about the number of fans, maybe they can get the game partly back to what it used to be? Starting with banning the shift. And removing the ghost runner.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Tell me there is going to be an expansion Indianapolis Clowns?

No issue with expansion, but lets get 30 teams that can actually be competitive first then talk. Nearly 1/3rd of the league hasn't made the playoffs within five years. Without the expanded 2020 season, it's been over 1/3rd of the league. You have two teams that have gone 30 years (assuming MIA and COL doesn't win this year) without a division title.

15. Likes:

KYExtemper (07-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    No issue with expansion, but lets get 30 teams that can actually be competitive first then talk. Nearly 1/3rd of the league hasn't made the playoffs within five years. Without the expanded 2020 season, it's been over 1/3rd of the league. You have two teams that have gone 30 years (assuming MIA and COL doesn't win this year) without a division title.
    That falls on them not the league.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OldFashionedRed View Post
    Before they expand, since they're so worried about the number of fans, maybe they can get the game partly back to what it used to be? Starting with banning the shift. And removing the ghost runner.
    Ghost runner is this year only and I believe a shift move is scheduled for next year

Expansion is inevitable. They want to get to 32 teams. I assume then they will have 4 divisions in each league with at least two wild cards in each for the playoffs. Las Vegas will certainly get a team if someone like the A's don't move there beforehand. The other one is a lot of possibilities such as Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville and plenty of of other suitors.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Chip R (06-30-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Expansion is inevitable. They want to get to 32 teams. I assume then they will have 4 divisions in each league with at least two wild cards in each for the playoffs. Las Vegas will certainly get a team if someone like the A's don't move there beforehand. The other one is a lot of possibilities such as Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville and plenty of of other suitors.
    The Las Vegas Dice?

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-30-2022)

Turn Off Ads?