Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Expansion

Re: Expansion

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    No idea. Why wouldn't they?
    Probably would depend on how they designed the schedule and the post season qualifications. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I would think they would want to provide a path to the post season for the big market teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'll give it a go.

AL West OAK, LAA, POR, SEA
    NL West LAD, SD, SF, AZ

AL South COL, TX, HOU, KC
    NL South MIA, ATL, TB, STL

AL North MIN, CHI SOX, DET, CLE
    NL North MIL, MON, CIN, CHI CUBS

AL East NYY, BOS, BAL, TOR
    NL East NYM, PHI, WAS, PIT

This assumes Montreal and Portland and switches leagues for a number of teams. My eyes hurt.
    My mistake I didn't think Tampa had been this good since 2008.
    Last edited by Slyder; 07-21-2022 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Good Lord St. Louis would quickly catch the Yanks with division titles in this setup as Fla/TB are barely above us in terms of dumpster diving/cheapskate owners.
    For dumpster divers FL has 2 WS championships since '97, and TB is in the playoffs all the time now.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Good Lord St. Louis would quickly catch the Yanks with division titles in this setup as Fla/TB are barely above us in terms of dumpster diving/cheapskate owners.
    You do realize the Rays have won the East the last two years vs Boston and New York so what makes you think the Cardinals would be able to beat them. The Rays are very good at taking players that are gettting expensive and trading them for cheap controllable talent. (Wish the Reds could do this)

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-21-2022),Rojo Rijo (07-22-2022),TRF (07-21-2022)

I think if they do expand - and even if they don't - they are going to do away with the old concept of NL and AL as we have known them. It's been heading that way for a while anyway. The universal DH was one of the last threads holding that together. It will be scheduling next where everyone will play everyone home and away at least in one series. Eventually the post-season awards will go to one individual. It'll be more along the model of the other leagues where the separation is there for post-season play and the ASG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    You do realize the Rays have won the East the last two years vs Boston and New York so what makes you think the Cardinals would be able to beat them. The Rays are very good at taking players that are gettting expensive and trading them for cheap controllable talent. (Wish the Reds could do this)
    I take back my insult of Tampa Bay, I hadn't followed them near enough. Since 2008 only 1 year of fewer than 70 wins.
    Last edited by Slyder; 07-21-2022 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think if they do expand - and even if they don't - they are going to do away with the old concept of NL and AL as we have known them. It's been heading that way for a while anyway. The universal DH was one of the last threads holding that together. It will be scheduling next where everyone will play everyone home and away at least in one series. Eventually the post-season awards will go to one individual. It'll be more along the model of the other leagues where the separation is there for post-season play and the ASG.
    Conversely, I hope if and when MLB expands they do away with interleague play. Instill back the AS mystique and make the WS a helluva lot more interesting...like it was from the days of my youth.

12. Likes:

mth123 (07-21-2022),Old school 1983 (07-21-2022),Tuff Nut (07-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Conversely, I hope if and when MLB expands they do away with interleague play. Instill back the AS mystique and make the WS a helluva lot more interesting...like it was from the days of my youth.
    The AS mystique would not come back. Back when that existed there was little free agency and you only could watch your local team and the Saturday Game of the Week and for a while Monday Night Baseball. Now you can watch any game and any player plus see almost any highlight. The other league is no longer an unknown.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

14. Likes:

Chip R (07-21-2022),Revering4Blue (07-21-2022)

The MLB is actually going even further into interleague play starting next year. Teams will start playing 46 interleague games, up from 16. Each team will play 4 against their geographic rival (CIN-CLE) and 3 each against the other 14 teams, rotating home and away annually.

Breakdown:
    3 games H or A against 14 AL teams - 42. All 3 game series. 7 series at home, 7 series away.
    4 games against CLE - 4. 2 games at home, 2 games away.
    14 games against NLC opponents - 56 - Looks like two 3 game sets and two 4 game sets, each one home, one away.
    6 games against 10 other NL teams - 60 - 3 game sets, one home, one away.

One thing this will do is really make rainouts/makeup games difficult to schedule.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 07-21-2022 at 08:01 PM.

16. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (07-21-2022),Revering4Blue (07-21-2022)

Two leagues made MLB special from the other major sports IMO. Losing that kinda stinks.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-22-2022),bm1475 (07-22-2022),RED VAN HOT (07-22-2022),Revering4Blue (07-21-2022),RollyInRaleigh (07-23-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    The AS mystique would not come back. Back when that existed there was little free agency and you only could watch your local team and the Saturday Game of the Week and for a while Monday Night Baseball. Now you can watch any game and any player plus see almost any highlight. The other league is no longer an unknown.
    Meh. My point was that the only time American Leaguers and National Leaguers would square off would be in the ASG and WS. To me, that would be garnering some of the former mystique. I do agree with you on the TV and FA points. I have reluctantly accepted that the game I grew up with no longer exists.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    The MLB is actually going even further into interleague play starting next year. Teams will start playing 46 interleague games, up from 16. Each team will play 4 against their geographic rival (CIN-CLE) and 3 each against the other 14 teams, rotating home and away annually.

Breakdown:
    3 games H or A against 14 AL teams - 42. All 3 game series. 7 series at home, 7 series away.
    4 games against CLE - 4. 2 games at home, 2 games away.
    14 games against NLC opponents - 56 - Looks like two 3 game sets and two 4 game sets, each one home, one away.
    6 games against 10 other NL teams - 60 - 3 game sets, one home, one away.

One thing this will do is really make rainouts/makeup games difficult to schedule.
    This is interesting and actually makes sense given 6 playoff teams in each league diluting the need for 72 intra-divison games

21. Likes:

Chip R (07-23-2022)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You know, more and more I'm convinced that the people who said putting Major League Baseball teams in Florida would never work were, in fact, correct.
    The fact MLB can't make the fast growing, 8M+ population of the I-4 corridor work between Tampa and Orlando is an MLB issue. The Rays stadium in St Pete is the worst stadium and location in MLB (or at least East of Oakland).

Miami is a different animal and the region down here isn't interested in a franchise/ownership that doesn't try to compete.

Separate the FL teams from their NY/NE ex-pats and let them grow an identity (I think M2 suggeted this a while back)

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-25-2022)

Move TB to Montreal. Add Portland and San Antonio, 2 west centric teams helps with regional rivalries. The east has enough.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?