Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion

Re: Expansion

Just wondering, and I don't know how you can measure this, but I wonder how many kids have entered the professional system who have come through MLB's RBI program. Of course, I continue to want to see MLB with better outreach to minority communities. I think we lag on that here in Cincinnati.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Miami is a lousy sports town in every aspect. They’re the ultimate front runners. It’s gone from a Canes/Dolphins/Marlins/Heat town so many times over the last 30 years it’s difficult to keep up.
    I've gone through this plenty but the Marlins are literally 8th or 9th on the list of local mindshare (Dolphins, Yankees, Heat, Canes Football, Mets, NY Giants, NY Jets, Montreal Canadians then maybe the Marlins/Mets/Panthers battle it out)

The firesales destroyed the fanbase. The new stadium location in hard to reach Little Havana walled off the northern 2/3rds of the metro area due to geography and the ever worsening I-95 corridor traffic mess from higher growth areas (North Broward, Palm Beach, Treasure Coast)

Significant population bases in Southern Broward and Dade have no history of baseball (Brazilian, Haitian, European/British, Jamaican/Carribean Isles outside DR and PR)

When Stanton was traded a few months back (will be a surprise when many locals find out this news), the story was literally 4th or 5th on the nightly local sports report

The Rays would be fine with a better location on the Tampa side of the Bay or even better Orlando. That's a good market with the right location.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-31-2018)

Haunted by walks

Baseball will have to figure out a way to have a thriving middle class of teams, rather than just Titans and Tankers.

6. Likes:

Falls City Beer (02-26-2020),KYExtemper (03-30-2018),redsmetz (03-30-2018),RiverRat13 (03-30-2018),Tom Servo (03-30-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Baseball will have to figure out a way to have a thriving middle class of teams, rather than just Titans and Tankers.
    Remember the Tankers!
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-29-2020),redsmetz (03-30-2018),Spanky (03-30-2018)

We didn't seem to mind that too much back in the 70s when the Reds and As were the titans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

kpresidente (03-30-2018)

253 foreign born players made opening day rosters and we are supposed to believe that the world population can't provide enough players for two more expansion teams?

"So Fla Red"

253 foreign born players made opening day rosters and we are supposed to believe that the world population can't provide enough players for two more expansion teams?
    I am for it as long as the Reds get to participate in the expansion draft to build a rotation...

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    We didn't seem to mind that too much back in the 70s when the Reds and As were the titans.
    That’s kind of the point, though. The Reds, A’s (and Pirates) were the thriving middle class. Now there are about four titans and everyone else is Dick Wagner.

14. Likes:

Falls City Beer (02-26-2020),REDREAD (02-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Mercy is for the weak.

That’s kind of the point, though. The Reds, A’s (and Pirates) were the thriving middle class. Now there are about four titans and everyone else is Dick Wagner.
    You don't think the Reds and Pirates were the top salaried teams? Since it was before free agency it's kind of like in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king but I'll bet you a shiny new nickel teams like the Reds and Pirates and A's paid their players the best. Teams like SD and SF and HOU and MIL weren't paying the big bucks because they had lousy players. Since they had lousy players they had lousy teams. CIN and PIT and BAL didn't have the biggest markets but they had the best players. You have to remember the Yankees were lousy from about the mid-60s to the mid-70s The Red Sox had a great year in 1967 and almost made the playoffs the next season but save for those two seasons, they hadn't been good since the late 40s. And to most of us, baseball was never better than it was in the 70s. Maybe that's because the Reds were great or maybe it was because of other things. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, we don't like it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (02-26-2020)

Wonder if this is about placating the union in a few years..

Union: We need to do something about teams not signing anyone!
    Owners: How about 50 new jobs and a cut of the multi billion expansion fees?
    Union: Sounds good.
    Go Gators!

Yeah, 80 more players on a planet of 7+ billion. That's going to be tough.

20. Likes:

Chip R (03-30-2018),Raisor (03-30-2018),redsmetz (03-31-2018),RedsRocker (04-01-2018)

And those titans are the Giants, Royals, Cubs and Astros.

It's going to be Portland. Either in expansion, or as a move of one of the two current desperate franchises. Private money, perfect stadium location, booming city. I'm excited.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    It's going to be Portland. Either in expansion, or as a move of one of the two current desperate franchises. Private money, perfect stadium location, booming city. I'm excited.
    It's too cold to play baseball in Maine.

24. Likes:

Hoosier Red (03-03-2020),marcshoe (03-30-2018)

Turn Off Ads?