Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Name Some Underrated Movies

Re: Name Some Underrated Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Breakin'2 was once shown with an advanced preview of The Karate Kid. I had to sit through it but got to see the better movie for free as the second of a double feature.
    reminds me of another movie that I can add to this list

Must love Dogs (5.9) It is what it is, Diane Lane is always easy to watch

We went because my wife (girlfriend/fiance at the time) wanted to go. There was an advanced screening, so we bought tickets and went. This was pre-kids so when we got to the theater and found out that it was being shown as part of a double feature (I guess that is how advanced screenings work???, or perhaps the advanced screening was for the other film) so when it was over, we figured, ehhh... we don't have anything else to do, why not. The other movie was some newly incarnated batman flick, the last handful of incarnations post micheal Keaton weren't much to write home about, and I recall 0 buzz, 0 previews, I had no clue it was even coming to theaters. We figured if it wasn't any good we'd just leave; its not like we had to pay any extra. Needless to say, this little Christopher Nolan flick that we got to catch after Must Love Dogs was pretty good.

and now you know the rest of the story....
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

2. Likes:

dougdirt (04-23-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

So sue me, I thought MacGruber (5.5) was actually pretty funny. I never expect much from an SNL adaption, so maybe it just beat my expectations.

Wimbledon (6.3)

I’m ashamed.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    So sue me, I thought MacGruber (5.5) was actually pretty funny. I never expect much from an SNL adaption, so maybe it just beat my expectations.
    Yep. It's stupid dumb fun. 4-5 years ago, it seemed like MacGruber was about to become THE overlooked/cult comedy of the early 2010s but, now, I'm worried it might actually be overlooked without the hipster/comedy nerd respect. It seems to have lost some of that wave of underground support/respect, anecdotally. But great suggestion for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Yep. It's stupid dumb fun. 4-5 years ago, it seemed like MacGruber was about to become THE overlooked/cult comedy of the early 2010s but, now, I'm worried it might actually be overlooked without the hipster/comedy nerd respect. It seems to have lost some of that wave of underground support/respect, anecdotally. But great suggestion for this thread.
    It'd help if it was a Christmas movie.

A Christmas Story was the first Holiday Movie rediscovery, and it still stands out.

But it seems like there are now waves of re-discoveries. Maybe every generation needs one.

Christmas Vacation came back.

Then Elf.

I'm waiting for the day when some hipster in a bar tries to convince me that Jingle All the Way was actually a classic.

Last edited by Mutaman; 04-23-2018 at 09:12 PM.

9. Likes:

757690 (04-23-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Is that Jean Claude at the height of his cocaine addiction?
    It is Jean Clause. I think he is just high on the 80s.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wimbledon (6.3)

I’m ashamed.
    Don't be. Fun little movie esp the bits without Kirsten Dunst. All the supporting characters are good fun.

A lot of movies are commonly accepted to be great but, are underrated because nobody will watch them because they are black & white (can't understand that reasoning, but I hear it all the time), such as "Judgement at Nuremburg".
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    A lot of movies are commonly accepted to be great but, are underrated because nobody will watch them because they are black & white (can't understand that reasoning, but I hear it all the time), such as "Judgement at Nuremburg".
    I feel like Clerks is the only movie that I've ever watched in my life that was in black and white.

Scratch that. Nebraska. So, two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I feel like Clerks is the only movie that I've ever watched in my life that was in black and white.

You need to change that.

You should start with The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-24-2018)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Aren't you a boxing fan? You've never seen Raging Bull?

I feel like everybody has seen 12 Angry Men and Schindler's List. Or at least I first did in school.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-24-2018),Mutaman (04-24-2018),RedTeamGo! (04-23-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You need to change that.

You should start with The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
    Sin City and Schindler's List should be added to that list as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Fun movie. Back when Alex Baldwin looked more like Billy Baldwin than Daniel Baldwin. More underrated performances from Fred Ward and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Really should check out Citizen Kane. And Raging Bull. Dr Strangelove. Lolita. The Third Man. In Cold Blood. Sweet Smell of Success.
    Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. There's a few more. You're missing out on some good flicks.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-24-2018),WildcatFan (04-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Fun movie. Back when Alex Baldwin looked more like Billy Baldwin than Daniel Baldwin. More underrated performances from Fred Ward and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
    If we do a thread for underrated actors, i'd put Fred Ward on it- Gus Grissom in The Right Stuff, the security guy in the Player. Leigh is a great actress- see the Hateful Eight and Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Not a Baldwin fan but boy did he nail Frederick Frenger, Jr.

22. Likes:

757690 (04-24-2018)

Turn Off Ads?