• Jackson Rutledge

3 8.57%
  • George Kirby

0 0%
  • Greg Jones

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: Who is your 2019 first round pick?

Who is your 2019 first round pick?

Alright, we're hours away. We'll immediately take Rutschman, Witt, Bleday, Vaughn, and Greene off the board because they are the 5 most likely to be gone before the Reds pick. Anyone else is hypothetically available for the Reds at #7.

Who do you want?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is your 2019 first round pick?

My immediate reaction is to scream "Abrams!" at the top of my lungs. However, if he's falling, I'm going to assume the teams picking from 6-9 know something we don't and aren't just being rediculous.

Assuming that, my pick would be Jackson Rutledge.

I'm assuming no one falls and the Reds get the guy they have been rumored to for the last 3 months. Nick Lodolo it is.

I've moved solidly to Stott today but expect Lodolo and would be fine with him.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Lodolo for me. I like the left-handedness and size. I think there is projection left. He hit 97 on the radar gun against Arkansas the other day (though he will normally work 94-95). If his change-up is a usable third offering as scouts suggest, he will have success at the next level. In the games I have watched him I did not see many change-ups, but the coaches are calling the shots on pitch selection. I won't hold that against him.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rutledge seems to be the college arm with the most upside. I went with him.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    My immediate reaction is to scream "Abrams!" at the top of my lungs. However, if he's falling, I'm going to assume the teams picking from 6-9 know something we don't and aren't just being rediculous.

Assuming that, my pick would be Jackson Rutledge.
    they're being cincinnati rediculous.

- - - Updated - - -

i like the big boy from wvu, manoah. that's who i voted for.

however, there seems to be zero buzz about him being tied to the reds. so, doesn't seem likely at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I've moved solidly to Stott today but expect Lodolo and would be fine with him.
    i could probably do my own research here, but given you probably know a lot about him, is the consensus on stott that he will stick at shortstop? or are there concerns he might need to move to 2b or 3b?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i could probably do my own research here, but given you probably know a lot about him, is the consensus on stott that he will stick at shortstop? or are there concerns he might need to move to 2b or 3b?
    I don't know a lot about him, really. I do think that his bat will play at other positions and there seems to be some difference of opinion on whether he will stick at shortstop. In truth, I haven't done much research.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    I’ve read that most scouts think he can handle SS but there are some who think his range is more that of a 3B. There seem to be more questions about his power swing or lack there of than his glove.

I went Stott because I like college bats in the first round and I think he’s got the best approach of the guys available in that category. I’d be happy with Lodolo or Manoah though, and I’ve gotta admit I’m intrigued by Kirby’s four pitch mix.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

JFLegal (06-03-2019),marcshoe (06-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I’ve read that most scouts think he can handle SS but there are some who think his range is more that of a 3B. There seem to be more questions about his power swing or lack there of than his glove.

I went Stott because I like college bats in the first round and I think he’s got the best approach of the guys available in that category. I’d be happy with Lodolo or Manoah though, and I’ve gotta admit I’m intrigued by Kirby’s four pitch mix.
    keith law keeps saying the reds could go with kirby as a fallback option.

speaking of everyone's favorite draft analyst:

Keith Law has said this is the weakest draft class in his 18 years of scouting the draft for the Blue Jays and ESPN, and is especially weak in college pitching.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 06-03-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Abrams or Jones for me. If you have a chance to get a player who profiles as a future plus defender at a premium position (SS or CF) and he also has a good hit tool, you have to take him. Greg Jones would have the added benefit of an under slot deal, possibly leaving room for signing a good HS player away from his college commitment.

Turn Off Ads?