Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Draft Class

Re: 2019 Draft Class

I'm on the Lodolo train at the moment.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-09-2019),malcontent (04-10-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Still would like to see any of the top three shortstops. We haven’t had a great shortstop prospect since...Gookie Dawkins?
    Go BLUE!!!

5. Likes:

M2 (04-10-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Still would like to see any of the top three shortstops. We haven’t had a great shortstop prospect since...Gookie Dawkins?
    Gookie may have been the best drafted prospect, but Jose Peraza was a pretty good prospect that we traded for LOL.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Gookie may have been the best drafted prospect, but Jose Peraza was a pretty good prospect that we traded for LOL.
    Didi turned out pretty good too. And Cozart had several good years and was an elite defender.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-10-2019),Old school 1983 (04-10-2019)

From Kiley's chat just now: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mc...-chat-4-10-19/

Andrew
    12:37 Any direction on the Reds at #7? They seem to be right in the middle of the FV 50 guys.
    Kiley McDaniel
    12:38 Nothing we're particularly confident in right now, but they're always tied to FL talents, in part b/c Chris Buckley lives in Tampa and I've heard them mentioned with Riley Greene. So I'd imagine he's among the guys in their mix.
    I'd be okay with Greene, but Kiley also mentioned there was about a 50/50 chance that one of Abrams or Witt get to #7. If we ended up with Witt, I'd be extremely happy.

10. Likes:

Benihana (04-10-2019),Edd Roush (04-10-2019),marcshoe (04-10-2019),Tom Servo (04-10-2019)

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when reminded that Reds draft decisions may hinge in part on whether the prospect lives within driving distance to Chris Buckley. I hope his re-assignment in the organization was real (i.e. someone else runs the draft).

12. Likes:

Benihana (04-10-2019),Edd Roush (04-10-2019),JaxRed (04-10-2019),malcontent (04-10-2019),RedTeamGo! (04-10-2019),RiverRat13 (04-10-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Hunter Greene?

Hard to find many negatives about the high school guys. I tend to think Witt and Abrams will be off the board by #7 but you never know. Riley Greene is being comped to Alex Kirilloff, which would be a pretty good get.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (04-10-2019)

Would love a high-end college starter with a top two ceiling if one makes it to #7, but I'm not holding my breath. Otherwise, I'll be fine with BPA (although I'm a bit gun shy about a 1st Rd. HS starter). All things considered, I got to admit that a top SS would really be exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Would love a high-end college starter with a top two ceiling if one makes it to #7, but I'm not holding my breath. Otherwise, I'll be fine with BPA (although I'm a bit gun shy about a 1st Rd. HS starter). All things considered, I got to admit that a top SS would really be exciting.
    It looks like Lodolo's that guy (not a big year for college arms) and that there's a decent chance he'll be at #7.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yeah it's Lodolo and a bunch of hitters in the top 15 or so picks in the draft from most mocks. More than likely we're ending up with a hitter.

I'd be just fine with Riley Greene, even if he ends up 1b only we're getting to the point with Votto's age to where we might need to start considering 1b prospects again. He's a HS so he'd probably be in the system for 4-5 years anyways. Contact-oriented power bats are a good thing to have.

Man if CJ Abrams could fall to #7...I'll take Billy Hamilton with a strong hit tool all day.

Lodolo also works but this doesn't seem like the year you want to take a pitcher.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Just keep Buckley out of the equation, or else expect yet another catcher (Longeliers).
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Have to think (and hope) the Reds pounce if Abrams is there. They love the up-the-middle speedsters and they especially love the high school talent from Georgia (e.g. Trammell, Stephenson).

If Abrams and Witt are off the board, I'd be happy with Bryson Stott or Riley Greene.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm on the Lodolo train at the moment.
    Does that go straight through to Midland or do you need to switch in Odessa? Are they still charging for WiFi?

22. Likes:

M2 (04-11-2019)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Misner sounds intriguing.

Misner showed glimpses of talent at Poplar Bluff (Mo.) High and got drafted by the Royals in the 33rd round in 2016, but no one envisioned him blossoming into potentially Missouri's first position-player first-rounder ever. He has the best all-around tools in the 2019 college crop and a track record of performance, but he hasn't gotten as much hype as he deserves. He fouled a ball off his right foot and broke it last spring, costing him the final two months of his sophomore season and all of last summer.

Misner's bat speed, strength and the leverage in his 6-foot-4 frame give him huge raw power that he's just beginning to tap into. He's a polished hitter with a sound left-handed swing, good balance and a mature approach that had him leading NCAA Division I in walks when he got hurt in 2018. He also has plus speed and the aptitude to steal bases, making him a 20-20 threat.

Though Misner played mostly left field as a freshman and a lot of first base as a sophomore, he has the quickness and strong arm to patrol anywhere in the outfield. He has a chance to play center field in pro ball and definitely profiles well in right. Scouts love his makeup as well.
    http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

24. Likes:

NC Reds (04-11-2019)

Turn Off Ads?