Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It was an all-big-spenders affair in the conference finals. I think there's a lesson there.
    Yep. There are leagues (and sports) where the financial disparity argument is real, but we're talking about a league with a salary cap and overall low payrolls. Nobody should be singing the we-can't-compete song yet. And it's not even like other American sports with drafts, where not spending money now can be essential to a strategy to get better later.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Yep. There are leagues (and sports) where the financial disparity argument is real, but we're talking about a league with a salary cap and overall low payrolls. Nobody should be singing the we-can't-compete song yet. And it's not even like other American sports with drafts, where not spending money now can be essential to a strategy to get better later.
    Don't get me wrong, I respect TFC, Seattle, LAFC and Atlanta for making the investment. There's other teams in MLS, including my "local" team, that have decided to run their operations on the cheap and they deserve to be left in the dust.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sounders win their 2nd MLS Championship, this time 3-1 over Toronto.

Glad to have the Cup brought back to the Northwest.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

FC Cincinnati announces list of protected players ahead of Tuesday's MLS expansion draft
    PAT BRENNAN | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER
    3:10 p.m. EST Nov. 16, 2019

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ft/4215172002/

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The 2019 MLS Expansion Draft is set for Tuesday, and it's a big day for Major League Soccer's two newest clubs ahead of their inaugural seasons. Inter Miami and Nashville SC, the league's pair of newcomers, can select up to five players from the eligible player pool as they continue to fill out their rosters ahead of the 2020 season, which begins in February. MLS clubs had the chance to protect certain players ahead of draft while making a great deal of their players available for selection.

Here's everything you need to know:
    https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...their-rosters/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

7. Likes:

North (11-21-2019)

Nagbe being traded to Columbus for allowcation money puts the Crew in the conversation for winning the Cup next season. Nagbe has won twice himself. Nobody knows Nagbe better than Porter, his Coach at Akron and Portland, while nobody knows Porter better than Nagbe. He'll certainly be used differently in Columbus than he was used in Atlanta while he'll draw more fans to the games with his local history. He's still one of the league's best midfielders.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Oscar Pareja comes back to MLS as manager of Orlando City. Seemed like a no-brainer since his old boss Luiz Muzzi is running soccer operations at OCSC now, but you never know until the ink is dry. That pairing is highly encouraging based on their track record at FC Dallas. Now, if ownership can just leave these guys alone long enough to get results...

10. Likes:

M2 (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Oscar Pareja comes back to MLS as manager of Orlando City. Seemed like a no-brainer since his old boss Luiz Muzzi is running soccer operations at OCSC now, but you never know until the ink is dry. That pairing is highly encouraging based on their track record at FC Dallas. Now, if ownership can just leave these guys alone long enough to get results...
    Though the one thing Orlando won't be able to replicate all that quickly is the Dallas academy system. Dallas has built a talent mill.

12. Likes:

IslandRed (12-05-2019)

Agreed. It's just one of several areas where OC has been lagging.

A couple of off-season tidbits:

MLS announced Charlotte is to become the 30th franchise. The franchise fee was reported to be between $300 and $325M, which should pay for a bunch of players' salary (because MLS is definitely not a Ponzi scheme). Garber then claimed that MLS is not going to expand beyond 30 clubs, a claim that nobody takes seriously.

In Columbus, the Haslems are splashing their cash as the Crew landed their Pipa replacement, Lucas Zelarayan, who signed for a club record $7+M.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I can't believe the size of that franchise fee. A good indicator of the health of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I can't believe the size of that franchise fee. A good indicator of the health of the league.
    The franchise fees have been going up quite a bit because of all the investors trying to get in, but I don't necessarily view that as a sign of the health of the league. A better sign is that teams like SKC and the Crew are starting to throw down $7-9 Million in transfer fees to bring in talent. It wasn't that long ago when Seattle Sounders and TFC where spending "$6 Million" to bring Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley home to MLS, only to realize that MLS themselves were throwing in a sizable chunk of the transfer fee. I definitely think MLS is getting there, but I would feel better when I know the league can support paying their rank-and-file players on par with, maybe not the EPL or La Liga, but at least with Ligue 1, or even the Dutch Eredivisie. The key will be the next TV contract.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

17. Likes:

IslandRed (12-20-2019),Kingspoint (12-20-2019)

Well this would be a hilarious disaster...

Sources close to the Crew’s front office have told The Dispatch that the team is thinking seriously about changing its name, colors and logo by the time its new stadium opens in the summer of 2021. Changing to what? The best guess here is they don’t know yet and they are using a Frank Luntz focus group to figure it out.
    https://www.dispatch.com/sports/2020...-of-rebranding

19. Likes:

M2 (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Well this would be a hilarious disaster...
    Why do I get the feeling the focus group will tell them to change their colors to scarlet and grey and then play the other kind of football?

21. Likes:

Chip R (01-29-2020),schmidty622 (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Why do I get the feeling the focus group will tell them to change their colors to scarlet and grey and then play the other kind of football?
    Could be worse. Could be Maize and Blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?