Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If they could ever sign a striker who doesn't gack, that would help. What a sitter to miss on by Locadia. That was a match over moment. Whiffed.
    That was a poor effort by both teams.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

First of four Quarterfinals tonight:

SKC vs PHI
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

3-1 PHI @ half.

Congratulations Timbers for a win over NYCFC toget to a semifinal match vrs Minn. United. Won with two days fewer to rest and prepare. A big advantage for NYCFC. Valeri was the difference maker, when he came on in the second half.
    Minnesota took San Jose apart, and should have scored a few more goals. They did it without their two best players Opara and Metanaire and their best creative player Molina. Dotson was my MOM. Our gaffer Heath has the team playing with discipline and fitness. Tasty matchup against Heath’s former club - Orlando.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-02-2020)

PHI/POR semifinal tomorrow, ORL/MIN Thursday.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ack-tournament

"Sebastian Blanco has raised his level even higher at the MLS is Back Tournament and is a big reason why the Portland Timbers have reached the semifinals where they meet the Philadelphia Union Wednesday (8 pm ET | FS1, TUDN, FOX Deportes, UniMás in US; TSN, TVAS2 in Canada). The 32-year-old has shined as the Timbers top attacking threat with two goals and five assists in Orlando and has been the catalyst for almost every Timbers goal. He’s allowed head coach Giovanni Savarese the luxury of using Diego Valeri off the bench in two of the last three games. But what is behind the veteran Argentine’s recent run of form? Savarese points to a few different factors."

Doyle's analyses of the two semis:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ent-semifinals

"And yeah, if it's not Blake who's the MVP thus far, it's Blanco. The little Argie attacker has 2g/5a thus far in the tournament and has repeatedly stepped up in big moments, whether it be out of central midfield (as above) or as a playmaking winger. For the first time in Portland's history as an MLS club it is not one of Diego Chara or Diego Valeri who is their best player; it is unquestionably Blanco. When Blanco plays as the 10 — and yes, he started there in the QFs with Valeri coming off the bench at halftime, and in the long run that's a big deal, but for this game I don't think it's germane since I'm pretty sure Valeri's going to start — he tends to defend deeper in the midfield in more of a 4-2-3-1, while when Valeri's in there it's more of a 4-4-2 as Valeri sticks closer to the center forward (probably Jeremy Ebobisse with Jaroslaw Niezgoda off the bench, though maybe Niezgoda with Ebobisse on the wing since Yimmi Chara limped off against NYCFC).

I will straight-up say against Philly it's worth it to get the extra body into central midfield. Valeri really has been more of a second striker than a midfield playmaker since about 2017, but in this game it's worth it to get him into the engine room and have more of a two-way role. If not, then maybe Gio Savarese actually will put Blanco in at the 10 and start Valeri as an inverted winger on the right. I usually recoil at "we're trying something different in a big game" changes like that, but this one might be worth it because if you start losing midfield 50/50s to the Union, you're going to start giving up goals."

First half story in stats. Philly's GK has more passes than the Union's 3 attacking starters

Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-06-2020 at 12:59 AM.

ORL vs MIN tonight to see who gets to lose to the Timbers in the Final.

It's ORL, 3-1 over MIN.

Just wondered what you guys thought of Jaap Stam? He seemed very hit and miss in English football. I remember having a tough game against his Reading side then they looked the worst team I'd ever seen at that level the next time round.

Too early to know for me. He did rally the team pretty well with a good defensive organization and approach dealing with injuries in Orlando.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-08-2020),Chip R (08-13-2020),EnglishRed (08-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRed View Post
    Just wondered what you guys thought of Jaap Stam? He seemed very hit and miss in English football. I remember having a tough game against his Reading side then they looked the worst team I'd ever seen at that level the next time round.
    Might be fine for MLS. He's got credentials out the ears as a player. I assume he at least knows how to organize a back line. As a manager, his time in the Netherlands was bizarre. Feyenoord dumped him quickly, and was much better before and after he showed up.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

From MLS.COM:

MLS is Back Tournament Final presented by Wells Fargo
    Portland Timbers vs. Orlando City SC
    ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
    Tues., August 11 – 8:30 PM ET

TV: ESPN, ESPN Deportes in US; TSN 1/4, TVAS2 in Canada

STREAMING: ESPN App in US; TSN App, TVAS App in Canada

Few will dispute the MLS is Back Tournament has provided a final featuring the two best teams in the competition.

The Portland Timbers were the first to reach the championship match after a 2-1 semifinal win over the Philadelphia Union and they've been good value throughout this tournament. Although they didn't arrive in Orlando as a popular favorite to win it all, they've looked the part and played like a team that deserves to be recognized among the league's elite in 2020. At no point have they looked outmatched in a competition that has seen them go toe-to-toe with fancied sides like LAFC, LA Galaxy and NYCFC.

In the final they will meet the surprise team of the tournament in Orlando City, who knocked off Minnesota United in the semis. The Lions' turnaround under new head coach Oscar Pareja has come much sooner than expected and they have played the tournament on the front foot. Pareja was always hoping to use this event as a game-changer: a way to rid the team of the pressure and burden that came with five MLS seasons in which Orlando failed to make the postseason. Mission accomplished after this run to the final. There will be an injection of renewed belief in the organization and the fanbase no matter the result.

The stakes on August 11 are clear: One team will walk away with a Concacaf Champions League place, a trophy and chunk of prize money to boot.

Turn Off Ads?