Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Tangentially related to MLS... I haven't paid much attention to the youth soccer scene since my daughter aged out of it, but I read the other day that U.S. Soccer killed off the development academies. This probably makes the MLS academies the de facto top level for the boys, and who knows for the girls, but no one knows anything for sure. Thoughts?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Tangentially related to MLS... I haven't paid much attention to the youth soccer scene since my daughter aged out of it, but I read the other day that U.S. Soccer killed off the development academies. This probably makes the MLS academies the de facto top level for the boys, and who knows for the girls, but no one knows anything for sure. Thoughts?
    They're doubling down on the idea that gave us the lost generation that missed the World Cup, two Olympics and a pile of other tournaments at the youth levels. 23 MLS academies trying to cover a nation of 300+ million with MLS as the supposed finishing level for that talent? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Big name ahead Coach appointment for FC Cincinnati. Jaap Stam won all there is to win at club level in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Big name ahead Coach appointment for FC Cincinnati. Jaap Stam won all there is to win at club level in Europe.
    Stam seems real flaky. Feyenoord sent him packing before he finished his third month with the club. Team improved by leaps and bounds after he left. Had a real quick tenure at Zwolle too. And his 2nd year at Reading (only team he's managed for a full season) ended with 1 win in his last 20 games. His managerial runs seem to end abruptly.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Stam seems real flaky. Feyenoord sent him packing before he finished his third month with the club. Team improved by leaps and bounds after he left. Had a real quick tenure at Zwolle too. And his 2nd year at Reading (only team he's managed for a full season) ended with 1 win in his last 20 games. His managerial runs seem to end abruptly.
    And Nijkamp, FCC’s GM worked with him, as Technical Director at Zwolle, so you’ve gotta believe he knows what he’s getting.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And Nijkamp, FCC’s GM worked with him, as Technical Director at Zwolle, so you’ve gotta believe he knows what he’s getting.
    If only Nijkamp could have given the Social Media team an accurate picture of him so they would know who he was and what he looked like.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

8. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-24-2020),M2 (05-24-2020)

MLS players agree to salary cuts, possible tournament

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-tournament-2/

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    MLS players agree to salary cuts, possible tournament

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-tournament-2/
    They agreed to a tournament in Orlando in June? Did they also agree to be sewn into a human centipede?

They agreed to a tournament in Orlando in June? Did they also agree to be sewn into a human centipede?
    I really don't get why they are so set on this Orlando tournament. It made some sense early on, but as things have progressed, why not just go back to playing real games. It's still only like half way through the MLS calendar. Just start over with playing on conference games and try and get the season started by July 4.

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-01-2020),M2 (06-01-2020),Revering4Blue (06-08-2020)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I really don't get why they are so set on this Orlando tournament. It made some sense early on, but as things have progressed, why not just go back to playing real games. It's still only like half way through the MLS calendar. Just start over with playing on conference games and try and get the season started by July 4.
    There are still a lot of different rules and restrictions across the country and MLS probably doesn't want the massive headache of trying to schedule with so much uncertainty of who can play at home and when. The Orlando thing buys some extra time. That's my guess, anyway.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    There are still a lot of different rules and restrictions across the country and MLS probably doesn't want the massive headache of trying to schedule with so much uncertainty of who can play at home and when. The Orlando thing buys some extra time. That's my guess, anyway.
    I guess if they want to use it as a type of preseason or whatever that's fine. But they are talking about the games counting towards the standings and it taking up to 8 or 10 weeks. That just makes no sense at this point.

Enough already!

FC Cincinnati players don't participate in voluntary practice as possible MLS lockout looms

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ts/5307076002/

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I guess if they want to use it as a type of preseason or whatever that's fine. But they are talking about the games counting towards the standings and it taking up to 8 or 10 weeks. That just makes no sense at this point.
    One of the most memorable games of the 1994 World Cup was Mexico-Ireland in Orlando where it was 120 degrees on the field. Neither team recovered. That game was played on June 24. And they want to 8-10 weeks of that? Holy hell.

17. Likes:

westofyou (06-02-2020)

One of the most memorable games of the 1994 World Cup was Mexico-Ireland in Orlando where it was 120 degrees on the field. Neither team recovered. That game was played on June 24. And they want to 8-10 weeks of that? Holy hell.
    How is that different from the 120+ degree court heat that the Australian Open is constantly played under? Those players seem to recover well even when they are throwing up on the court. And, their matches last a lot longer than a soccer match without the breaks there are in a soccer match, such as halftime. And, it's one match after another, not just the one contest. Maybe those soccer players were wimps? The tennis players don't get to have intraveinous liquids during the contests, either.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    How is that different from the 120+ degree court heat that the Australian Open is constantly played under? Those players seem to recover well even when they are throwing up on the court. And, their matches last a lot longer than a soccer match without the breaks there are in a soccer match, such as halftime. And, it's one match after another, not just the one contest. Maybe those soccer players were wimps? The tennis players don't get to have intraveinous liquids during the contests, either.
    Average daily high in Melbourne in January is 80.6 degrees. Average daily high in Orlando in June/July/August is north of 91 degrees.

Turn Off Ads?