Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Soccer actually appeals to whatever level of ADHD I might have because the ball is almost never out of play. Stoppages are minimal. And even if you find the pace of soccer boring, the non-boring moments — the great goal or great save or great tackle—are easily some of the best moments in sports.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Likes:

M2 (05-02-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You don't need to tell me anything. I just don't get the fascination with the sport and this recent dry spell is a great example why. Your reaction is typical of most soccer fans. Defensive, insecure and not very persuasive.
    The recent dry spell isn’t a reason why because you have admitted you aren’t giving it a chance or understand the game.

Google Messi’s goal yesterday against Liverpool. Should give you a pretty good idea of why people like the game even though sometimes you have 0-0 games.

5. Likes:

schmidty622 (05-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Soccer actually appeals to whatever level of ADHD I might have because the ball is almost never out of play. Stoppages are minimal. And even if you find the pace of soccer boring, the non-boring moments — the great goal or great save or great tackle—are easily some of the best moments in sports.
    And it's over inside of two hours.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (05-02-2019),dabvu2498 (05-03-2019),Kinsm (05-02-2019),Redsfaithful (05-02-2019),schmidty622 (05-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And it's over inside of two hours.
    That's huge in today's world of drawn-out professional sports where timeouts, marketing noise and commercials deteriorate the product to a level that's just not worth it. I like to "include" a sporting event into part of my day, not make it my main focus.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

M2 (05-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's huge in today's world of drawn-out professional sports where timeouts, marketing noise and commercials deteriorate the product to a level that's just not worth it. I like to "include" a sporting event into part of my day, not make it my main focus.
    In grad school I was a TA for a Shakespeare prof who made the point that plays from that era were over inside of two hours. They fundamentally understood that two hours was the optimal time limit for how long entertainment stays fresh. We now do the same plays in 3+ hours, and it's pure bloat. A big part of why soccer is so popular globally is it's the sport that best understands this. Like you said, it's part of your day, not the whole thing.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-02-2019)

Positive energy. OK. Got it
    I mean... go to a game and decide afterwards if you had a good time or not. I'll bet you do, whether you're a soccer fan or not.

If you are just here to poo poo on soccer fans, that's fine I guess. But if you are honestly curious what the hub-bub is all about... go to a game and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How often do you think soccer teams play?
    About as often as football teams. Why do you ask?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know why I am ever responding to this. There are plenty of things you do in life that one might say "why do you do that, its stupid." Does it matter? Do you enjoy someone telling you that what you enjoy is dumb?

I like watching soccer, some of the best soccer games I have ever seen are scoreless draws or 1-1 ties, or 1-0 victories. Its the nature of the game, if you don't think its enjoyable, then by all means, don't watch.
    I definitely stopped short of saying you were dumb for watching but given your attitude, it appears that you've been told that many times. I just don't see the attraction and I stated my example

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    But most of the time there's no shot at a score. At any given moment of a pitcher's duel there's a chance for a HR. At any given moment of a football game there's a chance a guy will take it all the way. Most of the time in a soccer game there is no chance the ball will go in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The recent dry spell isn’t a reason why because you have admitted you aren’t giving it a chance or understand the game.

Google Messi’s goal yesterday against Liverpool. Should give you a pretty good idea of why people like the game even though sometimes you have 0-0 games.
    You're erroneous in stating that I "admitted that I'm not giving soccer a chance." I'm just not seeing the draw. All I'm getting is defensiveness and incorrect statements like what you've done above. That generally happens when one doesn't have something constructive to say.

To recap, my statement is that given the recent example of the Cincinnati Soccer Club and its lack of scoring, why do folks get so excited over this game? I'm not seeing it.

You're erroneous in stating that I "admitted that I'm not giving soccer a chance." I'm just not seeing the draw. All I'm getting is defensiveness and incorrect statements like what you've done above. That generally happens when one doesn't have something constructive to say.

To recap, my statement is that given the recent example of the Cincinnati Soccer Club and its lack of scoring, why do folks get so excited over this game? I'm not seeing it.
    Go to a game or two. Take your kids or go with a couple of your pool playing wine drinking buddies.

You aren’t getting any answers you are looking for or are satisfying because you haven’t tried to like it. And again maybe you won’t, it’s not for everyone. But coming in here, saying something stupid like the local team hasn’t scored in a whole this game sucks what is wrong with you, then attacking all the people telling you why you might be wrong? You do you bud.

But most of the time there's no shot at a score. At any given moment of a pitcher's duel there's a chance for a HR. At any given moment of a football game there's a chance a guy will take it all the way. Most of the time in a soccer game there is no chance the ball will go in the net.
    This is absolutely not true. There is certainly a chess match aspect to soccer where you are trying to break down opponents and get teams out of a formation. But goals also happen very quickly and out of nothing quite often and makes it hard to look away from the game.

My favorite part of baseball is the nuance that goes into each pitch and the purpose behind that pitch. Soccer is very much the same. There is a different rhythm to it, but the logic behind it is similar.

19. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-03-2019)

Go to a game or two. Take your kids or go with a couple of your pool playing wine drinking buddies.

You aren’t getting any answers you are looking for or are satisfying because you haven’t tried to like it. And again maybe you won’t, it’s not for everyone. But coming in here, saying something stupid like the local team hasn’t scored in a whole this game sucks what is wrong with you, then attacking all the people telling you why you might be wrong? You do you bud.
    Until you can get your facts straight, your posts are worthless and will be treated as such. I'm not here to make anything personal. I see that's your goal but I'm not playing.

Until you can get your facts straight, your posts are worthless and will be treated as such. I'm not here to make anything personal. I see that's your goal but I'm not playing.
    My facts are go to a game or two and then come back. Or you can call someone worthless and then claim you aren’t here to make things personal.

You have a pro soccer team in your town. They play in a fun, exciting, growing league that has lots of fans and gets more all the time. Embrace it or don’t. But no one cares about your old man get off my lawn soccer stuff that was funny and cool in 2005.

This is absolutely not true. There is certainly a chess match aspect to soccer where you are trying to break down opponents and get teams out of a formation. But goals also happen very quickly and out of nothing quite often and makes it hard to look away from the game.

My favorite part of baseball is the nuance that goes into each pitch and the purpose behind that pitch. Soccer is very much the same. There is a different rhythm to it, but the logic behind it is similar.
    There is only a chance for a score about 6 times a game per team. Nine if you're really good:

Take the best of The World Cup teams, the Group winners — Uruguay, Argentina, United States, Germany, Netherlands, Paraguay, Brazil and Spain. These eight elite “sides” had, according to Match Analysis, an average of 656 touches per-game for each team. How many of these 656 touches per-game do you think turned into a shot on goal, an actual chance to score? An anemic 6.3 in a 90 minute contest. Argentina has been — by far — the most aggressive offensive team, taking an average of 9.7 shots on goal per game. Argentina averages 753 touches per-game. So, that means the most aggressive scoring threat in World Cup soccer attempts a shot on goal 1.28% of the time it touches the ball.
    My guess is Cincinnati right now is Honduras and New Zealand in the World Cup:

The least successful teams in the competition — usually referred to as the worst teams — Honduras and New Zealand, averaged 469 and 453 touches per-game respectively with a whopping production of only 1 shot on goal per game. Yes, one shot!
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-a...ike-s_b_632880

I stand by my comment that you called untrue: Most of the game there is no chance for a score. According to the numbers in that article, the number is 1 percent.

Turn Off Ads?