Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    My facts are go to a game or two and then come back. Or you can call someone worthless and then claim you aren’t here to make things personal.

You have a pro soccer team in your town. They play in a fun, exciting, growing league that has lots of fans and gets more all the time. Embrace it or don’t. But no one cares about your old man get off my lawn soccer stuff that was funny and cool in 2005.
    Comments based on erroneous assumptions are worthless. That doesn't mean the person is worthless. Once again you got your facts screwed up. I'm done correcting you

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In grad school I was a TA for a Shakespeare prof who made the point that plays from that era were over inside of two hours. They fundamentally understood that two hours was the optimal time limit for how long entertainment stays fresh. We now do the same plays in 3+ hours, and it's pure bloat. A big part of why soccer is so popular globally is it's the sport that best understands this. Like you said, it's part of your day, not the whole thing.
    Could not agree more. The best written piece of work still needs to conclude in 2 hours, 2-1/2 tops. Once you approach three hours it's no longer entertainment and plays upon drudgery.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

4. Likes:

schmidty622 (05-02-2019)

I've grown to like soccer and have been to a few FCC games last year and one this year. The quality of play is markedly better this year. But the problem is, FCC is an expansion team and playing some very good sides. It will take a couple years for them to be truly competitive. Till then, I just enjoy the atmosphere and the quality of play. I hope Cinci fans understand and are patient.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-03-2019),Chip R (05-02-2019),dabvu2498 (05-03-2019),schmidty622 (05-02-2019),Yachtzee (05-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I've grown to like soccer and have been to a few FCC games last year and one this year. The quality of play is markedly better this year. But the problem is, FCC is an expansion team and playing some very good sides. It will take a couple years for them to be truly competitive. Till then, I just enjoy the atmosphere and the quality of play. I hope Cinci fans understand and are patient.
    It's a wonderful sport that I wish I had gotten into earlier in life. The skill to athleticism ratio required of the players and the tactical nature of the game are unrivaled when compared to other major sports.

The two hour time frame doesn't hurt either! I could never see myself sitting at a bar for a whole NFL or MLB game but I routinely do for a footy match.

8. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (05-02-2019),M2 (05-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Comments based on erroneous assumptions are worthless. That doesn't mean the person is worthless. Once again you got your facts screwed up. I'm done correcting you
    Cool, you haven’t corrected me on anything but whatever.

I hope you find yourself in a soccer stadium at some point or watching a big time Champions League or World Cup game at some point. It’ll answer all the questions you have. Or you can keep googling soccer sucks articles and using that as evidence to fight with strangers on the internet about how you are right on a topic you have no knowledge of. Either way.

Cool, you haven’t corrected me on anything but whatever.

I hope you find yourself in a soccer stadium at some point or watching a big time Champions League or World Cup game at some point. It’ll answer all the questions you have. Or you can keep googling soccer sucks articles and using that as evidence to fight with strangers on the internet about how you are right on a topic you have no knowledge of. Either way.
    I didn't do what you said here:

Or you can call someone worthless
    I didn't call anyone worthless

Your comment that I was wrong on scoring is also erroneous. Let's start from a basic point of fact: The only way a score is possible in soccer is if there's a shot on goal. There are only a few shots on goal per game, thus for most of the game there is no chance of scoring. In baseball there is a chance of scoring on every pitch. In football on every snap...so on.

This is also incorrect. I never "admitted" to not giving the game a chance.

The recent dry spell isn’t a reason why because you have admitted you aren’t giving it a chance or understand the game.

I didn't do what you said here:

I didn't call anyone worthless

Your comment that I was wrong on scoring is also erroneous. Let's start from a basic point of fact: The only way a score is possible in soccer is if there's a shot on goal. There are only a few shots on goal per game, thus for most of the game there is no chance of scoring. In baseball there is a chance of scoring on every pitch. In football on every snap...so on.

This is also incorrect. I never "admitted" to not giving the game a chance.
    You didn’t have to, it was very obvious in your post.

If you want to give it a chance I’ll be happy to discuss the game with you.

Just wait until FC Cincinnati plays the Columbus Crew. The Hell is Real Derby will be something to behold. I suspect both games home and away will be nuts. Plus, you might get to see a good example of why you shouldn't count out a team, even when they look like they're not up to snuff. If the Crew's recent run of form continues, it will be good for Cincinnati. As of late, the Crew has been masters of dominating possession, but then giving up goals against the run of play.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

13. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (05-02-2019),Redsfaithful (05-03-2019)

I don't get the discussion. Sea Ray doesn't like football (sorry I can't tell it soccer ) and that's fine. I can't understand why someone who doesn't like a sport has that many posts in a "Soccer" thread but I don't care either...

just let him talk, nobody has to defend football anyway. It is loved and played in every part of the world (almost)...

I've taken some of my cousins from the US who are FCC fans to some german bundesliga (and 2. Liga) games. They were a little bit shocked by the fan base and the difference between US sport/"soccer" fans and european ones but they liked it. I saw some FCC games on TV and it was pretty good, the refs were terrible (even worse than those in Liga 2) but the level they play on was not bad and the stadiums looked sold out for the most part...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

15. Likes:

BillDoran (05-03-2019),BuckeyeRed27 (05-03-2019),dabvu2498 (05-03-2019),M2 (05-03-2019),Redsfaithful (05-03-2019),Yachtzee (05-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    I don't get the discussion. Sea Ray doesn't like football (sorry I can't tell it soccer ) and that's fine. I can't understand why someone who doesn't like a sport has that many posts in a "Soccer" thread but I don't care either...

just let him talk, nobody has to defend football anyway. It is loved and played in every part of the world (almost)...

I've taken some of my cousins from the US who are FCC fans to some german bundesliga (and 2. Liga) games. They were a little bit shocked by the fan base and the difference between US sport/"soccer" fans and european ones but they liked it. I saw some FCC games on TV and it was pretty good, the refs were terrible (even worse than those in Liga 2) but the level they play on was not bad and the stadiums looked sold out for the most part...
    My question is simple: What's the attraction to watching a sport that plays for two hours and in that time you might have 6 chances to score? I used the example of the Cincinnati team that's gone a month w/o scoring at all. That doesn't sound like entertainment to me

My question is simple: What's the attraction to watching a sport that plays for two hours and in that time you might have 6 chances to score? I used the example of the Cincinnati team that's gone a month w/o scoring at all. That doesn't sound like entertainment to me
    You've been given many reasons. Yet you continue. Because, in this case, I think you want to argue, just to argue.

18. Likes:

Chip R (05-03-2019),RedTeamGo! (05-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    You've been given many reasons. Yet you continue. Because, in this case, I think you want to argue, just to argue.
    Actually you're one of the few that even gave an answer. I acknowledged your answer: the energy. Fair enough. Above I made a point. It was not an argument. Watching a sport that has maybe a few minutes of shots on goal vs 2 hrs of "energy" doesn't sound like entertainment to me. That's my opinion. How you feel that's an argument is beyond me

I don't care if it sounds entertaining to you. It is pretty entertaining for a huge part of the world. More entertaining than baseball, american football, basketball .... and I don't think 6 chances to score is realistic at all. If every pitch in baseball is a chance to score than every freekick, corner, shot attempt ... is aswell. There is also every moment in the game the possibility that a chance is created every pass can lead to an succesful attack. you have less downtime than you have in every american football game or baseball game aswell.

But I still don't get how you can have that many posts about a sport you don't care for. I can't understand how anyone can enjoy watching cars driving in a cycle. Yet I would never go to the NASCAR thread (if there even is one) and post there (rather dumb) questions
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

21. Likes:

M2 (05-03-2019),Yachtzee (05-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by tomnuetten View Post
    I don't care if it sounds entertaining to you. It is pretty entertaining for a huge part of the world. More entertaining than baseball, american football, basketball .... and I don't think 6 chances to score is realistic at all. If every pitch in baseball is a chance to score than every freekick, corner, shot attempt ... is aswell. There is also every moment in the game the possibility that a chance is created every pass can lead to an succesful attack. you have less downtime than you have in every american football game or baseball game aswell.

But I still don't get how you can have that many posts about a sport you don't care for. I can't understand how anyone can enjoy watching cars driving in a cycle. Yet I would never go to the NASCAR thread (if there even is one) and post there (rather dumb) questions
    I'd like to say I'm sorry you feel my questions are dumb but honestly I feel the same way you do: I don't care what you think either. It's fair to bring up the question of what's the draw to watching your team get shutout for a month? That can't happen in any other sport. Your sport has not drawn me in and that's why.

I'd like to say I'm sorry you feel my questions are dumb but honestly I feel the same way you do: I don't care what you think either. It's fair to bring up the question of what's the draw to watching your team get shutout for a month? That can't happen in any other sport. Your sport has not drawn me in and that's why.
    what is the joy of watching a team lose 90+ times a year? Being fan of a bad team is never fun (doesn't matter which sport).

Turn Off Ads?