Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

The closest thing football has in relation to soccer is the play of the Offensive Line. For those who appreciate old-school football [ironic, since old-school football is actually foosball (football)], the symmetry and motion as one that an Offensive Line displays, especially before Free Agency took away the symmetry of Offensive Lines, is similar to the movement of a soccer team on the field. Spacial intelligence is a separate skill that has nothing to do with Intellectual IQ, Emotional IQ, or and other form of intelligence.

When it's being watched as a fan there's an array of strings you can feel from the team to your chest and these strings are constantly being pulled on as the team maneuvers itself through play. You can actually feel the tensions from the strings as momentum picks up. You become one with the team yourself. You don't get this in the NFL or the NBA. You do get it in hockey, though. It's almost identical.

Anyway, that's what you have to connect with to understand soccer. It's hard to get from TV if you don't have the previous experience from live contests.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-05-2019 at 10:47 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't know. I didn't watch it. Did you watch it? I'd love to hear your analysis of the game if you did. If you didn't watch it, again, please feel free to start up a thread called, "What's so great about soccer?" and have at it.

What I did do last night is that I went to a brewery with my dad, where they had a Columbus Crew watch party, which is my team. The Crew lost 3-1 and there was a lot of controversy in the game involving ref interference and controversial decisions that impacted the outcome of the game. I'm pissed that they lost, but I still had a good time with my dad enjoying some beers and watching a sport that I love.
    Here's my point: Folks here are spending energy attacking me but what they're not doing is talking about their team. Why not? You got your major league soccer. Why isn't there buzz about all the exciting plays in the game? Maybe soccer doesn't lend itself to game threads but I'd think folks would at least like to talk about it afterwards. Apparently not, but they don't mind defending the sport with all their might when someone mentions that a team has gone over a month w/o scoring. I don't know if this is about the game of soccer or is it more a commentary on the typical RZer who'd rather argue personally with someone than discuss sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Here's my point: Folks here are spending energy attacking me but what they're not doing is talking about their team. Why not? You got your major league soccer. Why isn't there buzz about all the exciting plays in the game? Maybe soccer doesn't lend itself to game threads but I'd think folks would at least like to talk about it afterwards. Apparently not, but they don't mind defending the sport with all their might when someone mentions that a team has gone over a month w/o scoring. I don't know if this is about the game of soccer or is it more a commentary on the typical RZer who'd rather argue personally with someone than discuss sports.
    Do you think this is the only place we talk soccer? I spend way more time in the forums at BigSoccer.com than here. There is also Reddit, Twitter, and other social media platforms where I can deep dive on soccer discussions. I'll post stuff here occasionally because there are some members here who I've talked soccer with in the past and I value their insight. But Redszone.com is not the first place I go to for soccer talk.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Timber fans travel better than Bengals fans.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    But do they travel better then Steelers fans?
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    But do they travel better then Steelers fans?
    Steelers fans don't travel. They're mostly front runners who live nearby. Cleveland has a ridiculous number of Steelers fans who were born and raised in Cleveland.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

8. Likes:

Redsfaithful (05-06-2019)

Do you think this is the only place we talk soccer? I spend way more time in the forums at BigSoccer.com than here. There is also Reddit, Twitter, and other social media platforms where I can deep dive on soccer discussions. I'll post stuff here occasionally because there are some members here who I've talked soccer with in the past and I value their insight. But Redszone.com is not the first place I go to for soccer talk.
    Hey, it's not about you. You've made it clear that your team is the Crew. The Cincinnati fans are here to argue with me but apparently they're not here to discuss soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What are your thoughts on the David Guzman trade?

What are your thoughts on the David Guzman trade?
    Win-win for both clubs. He might be able to regain his form in Columbus. If not, he didn't cost them much. In gaining an international roster spot from Clumbus, they traded away another one and netted $175K. So, basically Portland traded away a player they weren't using for some always needed cash.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-06-2019)

Alan Koch out as coach of FC Cincinnati. Seems terribly reactionary to me. He did take a couple jabs at the front office last week in the press.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Alan Koch out as coach of FC Cincinnati. Seems terribly reactionary to me. He did take a couple jabs at the front office last week in the press.
    That is surprising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    That must have been it because it's pretty reactionary, as you say. A new franchise needs stability for one. This undoes that. It also speaks volumes about your decision-makijg process as Management and Ownership if through diligence searching you disagree a short time later with your own decisions for hiring him in the first place. There are flaws in Upper Management/Ownership that needs to be addressed internally (not through the press).

Insubordination can be dealt with internally. It should not have resulted in a firing. Again, that's a failure of upper management.

16. Likes:

Chip R (05-07-2019)

No complaints from me. It wasn't working, and rather than let it continue to go sideways, make a change.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

18. Likes:

M2 (05-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    No complaints from me. It wasn't working, and rather than let it continue to go sideways, make a change.
    I was honestly surprised they tabbed him to take over when they parted ways with John Harkes. Not that he didn't do well in the USL, but I figured with their ambitions to make it to MLS, they would have sought out someone with a better pedigree in coaching top flight soccer.

I was honestly surprised they tabbed him to take over when they parted ways with John Harkes. Not that he didn't do well in the USL, but I figured with their ambitions to make it to MLS, they would have sought out someone with a better pedigree in coaching top flight soccer.
    Agreed. But, what I like is, they didn't stubbornly stick with the initial decision. If they determined they made a mistake, at least they moved to address that.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?