Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Maybe. Yet it's also a bit of a can of worms. Say you're running full speed and someone sticks a leg in front of you. Rather than take the contact (and potentially get hurt) you dive over it. That is a dive, but do you deserve a card for it? Do you stand to get punished because you've got quick reactions?

I get it video review penalties for grabbing you head or leg like you need hospitalization when you didn't even get touched. That's clear. Yet I'm wary of allowing Big Brother into areas that require interpretation. We have refs for that.
    Anyone watching the game knows the difference. If you do as you say, there would be no embellishment, no begging for a call, no rolling around on the ground like you just broke you ankle. You would get back up and continue to play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Anyone watching the game knows the difference. If you do as you say, there would be no embellishment, no begging for a call, no rolling around on the ground like you just broke you ankle. You would get back up and continue to play.
    You ever get caught on the side of your ankle by a soccer cleat? Hurts like hell. Don't even have to catch it that hard. After about 30 seconds it's fine, but it's like somebody's holding a match to your skin at first.

As for embellishment, a lot of refs don't give you the call on a clear foul unless you embellish it. There was a time in the late '80s and early '90s where attackers spent the whole game getting kicked and grabbed and refs looked the other way. We can go back in that direction, but I don't recommend it. Most embellishment is in reaction to an actual foul.

And players beg for calls in literally every sport. I don't like it when they ask for the ref to show a card, but NBA players ask for flagrant fouls, hockey players lobby for major misconduct penalties and football players bark when they think there's a personal foul.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

You ever get caught on the side of your ankle by a soccer cleat? Hurts like hell. Don't even have to catch it that hard. After about 30 seconds it's fine, but it's like somebody's holding a match to your skin at first.

As for embellishment, a lot of refs don't give you the call on a clear foul unless you embellish it. There was a time in the late '80s and early '90s where attackers spent the whole game getting kicked and grabbed and refs looked the other way. We can go back in that direction, but I don't recommend it. Most embellishment is in reaction to an actual foul.

And players beg for calls in literally every sport. I don't like it when they ask for the ref to show a card, but NBA players ask for flagrant fouls, hockey players lobby for major misconduct penalties and football players bark when they think there's a personal foul.
    It's about perception, and it's not those types of fouls that the "soccer players are a bunch of diving wussies" crowd point to as evidence for diving. It's the fallon d'floor type egregious flops where the slightest bit of contact occurs in the box and the attacking player goes gear up two steps later while turning to the ref.

I understand that embellishment is often the difference to get a rightful call when there's been a real foul that would otherwise go unnoticed. That's not the intent behind my statement. Retroactive video review and bookings, in my mind, is not about trying to deduce through ambiguity where it exists, it's about punishing players when there isn't ambiguity.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

5. Likes:

M2 (04-27-2018)

Portland with their longest winning streak since entering the MLS.

It's only five, but it's still fantastic with a new Head Coach.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I know some of us chose not to where chin guards in order to build up the calluses. In hockey, some softer players padded everything.

Eventually everyone in later decades wore the chin guards. Nobody ever faked an injury on our team. We didn't want to win that way. Just always had to know the refs and the players who fake injuries are known by the refs. In important games, they wouldn't get called...play through. Then the guy looks silly for leaving his team short-handed while he tries to get a call. Bad refs are the problem.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Portland with their longest winning streak since entering the MLS.

It's only five, but it's still fantastic with a new Head Coach.
    Portland finally got out of their funk since the Adi deal by giving Salt Lake only their 2nd Home loss of the year. Their 4-1 win was easily their best game of the season. With two to play in the regular season, they have something to build on going into the playoffs, which is always about momentum in this league.

Portland finally got out of their funk since the Adi deal by giving Salt Lake only their 2nd Home loss of the year. Their 4-1 win was easily their best game of the season. With two to play in the regular season, they have something to build on going into the playoffs, which is always about momentum in this league.
    Make sure you go beat RSL again. Would really help my Galaxy make the playoffs thanks.

Twitter rumors are firing up that big news is imminent regarding the future of the Crew.

From /r/mls: https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comment...ew_megathread/

Current summary of Big Soccer rumors:

Precourt to take his franchise to Austin

Jimmy Haslam (Cleveland Browns owner) to buy "expansion" franchise

Crew players stay in Columbus, and Haslam keeps the records and brand

Potentially no interruption of play in Columbus
    Update #2:

Haslam to be majority owner with unknown minority partner.

Minority partner potentially has land for a new stadium.

Announcement pushed to today due to leaks, Crew/MLS initially planned a later announcement
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.

11. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (10-12-2018),Kingspoint (10-12-2018),Yachtzee (10-12-2018)

Good for Crew fans. Ridiculous that this is how the league works.

So much for getting work done. I've been bouncing between Twitter and BigSoccer.com, waiting for official word.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Looks like The Hell is Real rivalry lives. That's great news for the Ohio soccer community.

Still a chance it could fall apart I guess, but looking good.

Should be good news on an Arena District stadium also.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Good for Crew fans. Ridiculous that this is how the league works.
    Acquiring players has the most complicated rules I've ever seen in any sport.

Acquiring players has the most complicated rules I've ever seen in any sport.
    Which is really messed up because it's a fairly simple set of rules that govern player acquisitions in the sport for the rest of the world.

The Haslems just released a statement. It's done. The Crew are staying, there will be local ownership. Hell Is Real is on.

Somebody hold me.

19. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (10-12-2018),Caveat Emperor (10-14-2018),Kingspoint (10-12-2018),membengal (10-12-2018),Redsfaithful (10-12-2018),Yachtzee (10-12-2018)

Turn Off Ads?