Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I’m not sure they want to, there is just an international break this weekend.
    Coincidence then. Didn't know. Had the extra week last year, too. Anyway, I like it as it makes for better playoffs. Really wish the NFL took a week and the NBA Took two weeks. MLB Could use a week to set up Pitcher rotations and help with aches and pains. Hockey could definitely use two weeks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Likes:

M2 (10-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Coincidence then. Didn't know. Had the extra week last year, too. Anyway, I like it as it makes for better playoffs. Really wish the NFL took a week and the NBA Took two weeks. MLB Could use a week to set up Pitcher rotations and help with aches and pains. Hockey could definitely use two weeks.
    Yeah I agree it does set up well. This break used to be in the middle of the playoffs which is super awkward.

Yeah I agree it does set up well. This break used to be in the middle of the playoffs which is super awkward.
    That's weird.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

MLS playoffs really delivered today. Every game was good, best of the bunch was Seattle’s 4-3 extra time win against Dallas. RSL won with a couple minutes to go against Portland and Toronto scores 4 times in ET to send Rooney back to England.

El Traffico Grande coming on Thursday night in Los Angeles.

If you haven’t seen it, go find the Jonathan dos Santos goal against Minnesota.

The Pipa era in Columbus effectively ended with injury this spring, but it officially came to an end today when the Crew announced they opted to not re-sign him. No matter the names and faces of those who surrounded him, Pipa was the offensive engine that made Berhalter's system tick.

In other MLS news, Sacramento makes 29.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The Pipa era in Columbus effectively ended with injury this spring, but it officially came to an end today when the Crew announced they opted to not re-sign him. No matter the names and faces of those who surrounded him, Pipa was the offensive engine that made Berhalter's system tick.

Bummer for it to end that way, but signing a 34 year old off an ACL tear isn't what Columbus needs to be doing.

Sacramento/San Jose could be a fun rivalry.

Sad to see the end of the Pipa Era, but at least the new Crew ownership seems to be giving him props for his time and inviting him to be involved in the team. I can't help but wonder if Clark Hunt and the FO had handled the parting of ways with Guillermo Barros Schelotto better, if GBS would have been coaching the Crew now instead of Caleb Porter.

Glad to see Sacramento get their due. I felt like they should have gotten a team when the league decided to shut down Chivas. Sacramento was ready for a team then, but the league decided to end Chivas and give LAFC a few years to get something together instead. I suspect it was hard for Sacramento soccer fans to see them get passed over for LAFC, and then see Nashville, Austin, and St. Louis get in before them, despite not having any real history of support at the USL Level.

So now the question is, Who is #30?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Sad to see the end of the Pipa Era, but at least the new Crew ownership seems to be giving him props for his time and inviting him to be involved in the team. I can't help but wonder if Clark Hunt and the FO had handled the parting of ways with Guillermo Barros Schelotto better, if GBS would have been coaching the Crew now instead of Caleb Porter.

Glad to see Sacramento get their due. I felt like they should have gotten a team when the league decided to shut down Chivas. Sacramento was ready for a team then, but the league decided to end Chivas and give LAFC a few years to get something together instead. I suspect it was hard for Sacramento soccer fans to see them get passed over for LAFC, and then see Nashville, Austin, and St. Louis get in before them, despite not having any real history of support at the USL Level.

So now the question is, Who is #30?
    I’d bet Charlotte and then Indy and Vegas to get to 32.

I’d bet Charlotte and then Indy and Vegas to get to 32.
    If they get to 32, then just split into East-West leagues, right?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If they get to 32, then just split into East-West leagues, right?
    Well assuming they still want to play 38 games you could have 8 games against the other conference, but you would have imbalanced schedules.

So far, it appears the decision to move to a single elimination knockout tournament has been a success. The games have been much more exciting this year. Getting ready to watch LAFC-Galaxy. Vela vs. Zlatan.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

El Trafico is crazy tonight. 5-3, with teams trading goals, and it's not over yet.

Well assuming they still want to play 38 games you could have 8 games against the other conference, but you would have imbalanced schedules.
    My money is on 36 teams in an east\west split in order to maintain the current 34 match regular season.

I'm not sure when is the best time to break apart the league before 36 clubs though.
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-25-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

17. Likes:

M2 (10-25-2019)

My money is on 36 teams in an east\west split in order to maintain the current 34 match regular season.

I'm not sure when is the best time to break apart the league before 36 clubs though.
    I've wondered that, if the league goes that big, would they split into a kind of closed first and second division, where there is revenue sharing and promotion and regulation between the two divisions (MLS1 and MLS2) but not for outside leagues (no USL to MLS for example). They could probably add a league cup competition where teams between the two divisions compete.

I think a truly open system is not feasible under the current league structure, especially with owners buying in not just to MLS, but also SUM. But maybe current owners would be willing to accept a kind of pro/rel that still protects their investment and gives them a cut of the SUM pie. There are enough sizable markets out there to go to a 40 team league split between two divisions or an East/West split.

Personally though, I think they really need to pause for a bit to work on other issues. Number 1 should be sorting out stadiums for NYCFC, the Revs, and Chicago (who solved part of it by getting out of that terrible lease in Bridgeview, but I don't see Soldier Field as a long term answer). They need to get the current crop of expansion teams on firm footing, and seeing if there is anything that can be done to boost attendance for some of the older MLS teams that have struggled with attendance.

Turn Off Ads?