Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    This seems like a suboptimal way to start a season. FCC really needs to stop being a mess.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This seems like a suboptimal way to start a season. FCC really needs to stop being a mess.
    It is just so bad (to be clear - it is good that he resigned). FCC was a community bright spot, and they keep squandering that.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

M2 (02-18-2020),Spanky (02-18-2020)

This is very ugly, this season is going to be a mess.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Man, what is it about soccer in Europe? Maybe it's because it basically has only one major sport, and it results in a World Cup, which then feeds a nationalistic frenzy. Whatever it is, you hear things from fans that are simply unbelievable. I mean, when throngs of fans make chimp sounds when a black layer scores, there are some serious institutional cultural challenges to overcome. I honestly believe that this coach is dumbfounded by the reaction, so maybe the team has to stick anyone who comes over here into a "cultural understanding" symposium or something before they even let them in the locker room.

And then, you have white people calling into the radio today making excuses for him. I can say that I'm 65, came from a rural blue collar background, and I have never said that word in my life. My father hasn't either, and if any of us kids had said it, he'd have beaten the snot out of us. It's really simple: Don't say that word for any reason, and it doesn't matter if someone else wrote a song with it.

8. Likes:

Spanky (02-18-2020),Yachtzee (02-27-2020)

So, we're getting close to the start of a new season. We have two new teams in Inter Miami and Nashville SC. The Columbus Crew are in year two under new management, with full offseason to revamp the squad, and FC Cincinnati starts their second campaign in MLS, and both clubs are playing their last full season in their current location before opening new stadia next year.

Here's the season preview from Major League Soccer Soccer Dot Com

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...season-preview

So who ya got?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-29-2020)

Crew should be back in the playoffs, no? Lot of roster turnover, but they seem like they'll be strong again.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Crew should be back in the playoffs, no? Lot of roster turnover, but they seem like they'll be strong again.
    I'm very optimistic coming into the season. They made some key signings to freshen up the squad and dropping $7+ million on a transfer for Zelarayan shows the new owners are in it to win it. When you factor in this week's announcements regarding the training facility and the new jersey sponsor and there's a lot to be positive about.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

13. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-27-2020)

Last season had a lot of surprises and was good overall for the league. Don't know what to expect this year, but they need to be careful about over-expanding. That kills most leagues. They have had a great run for several years, but there just seems to be a feel like they are pushing the growth too fast. I would focus on helping the franchises already in existence for the next few years. Can't keep chasing new Cities.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Predictions:

Ben Baer: 4th in West
    Marcelo Balboa (Univision): 5th in West
    Calen Carr: 6th in West
    Charlie Davies: 8th in West
    Matt Doyle: 4th in West
    Kristian Jack (TSN): 2nd in West
    Frederic Lord (TVA Sports): 5th in West

So, the consensus is: Road disadvantage in the 1st Rd of the playoffs and that the HC doesn't know what style/system he wants to run. I do miss Caleb Porter.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Last season had a lot of surprises and was good overall for the league. Don't know what to expect this year, but they need to be careful about over-expanding. That kills most leagues. They have had a great run for several years, but there just seems to be a feel like they are pushing the growth too fast. I would focus on helping the franchises already in existence for the next few years. Can't keep chasing new Cities.
    I think the current phase of the league, in working to expand the footprint of the league to give it a greater national presence, should be done. I think the next phase of the league should be focused on getting stadium issues resolved. The Revs and NYCFC need their own places. FC Dallas and Colorado need to figure out a way to get fans out to their places or consider other options.

I suppose Chicago's move back to Soldier Field may provide insight. If the Fire does well there, I wonder if we'll see other teams with problems filling suburban stadiums follow suit.

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Predictions:

Ben Baer: 4th in West
    Marcelo Balboa (Univision): 5th in West
    Calen Carr: 6th in West
    Charlie Davies: 8th in West
    Matt Doyle: 4th in West
    Kristian Jack (TSN): 2nd in West
    Frederic Lord (TVA Sports): 5th in West

So, the consensus is: Road disadvantage in the 1st Rd of the playoffs and that the HC doesn't know what style/system he wants to run. I do miss Caleb Porter.
    The Crew fanbase is split on Porter. Those from NE Ohio who have fond memories of his tenure at University of Akron love him. Those who have strong feelings about the 2015 MLS Cup tend to not like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The Crew fanbase is split on Porter. Those from NE Ohio who have fond memories of his tenure at University of Akron love him. Those who have strong feelings about the 2015 MLS Cup tend to not like him.
    ...and where do you sit?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I love his ability to fit a style to his personnel. I find him to be very adaptable and capable of doing well with many styles.

From mlssoccer.com :

Sunday's match at MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio started off with a bang, but not one you would expect. Less than three minutes after the initial whistle kicked off the game, New York City FC center back Maxime Chanot was shown a red card for clipping the heel of Columbus Crew SC's newest attacking midfielder, Lucas Zelarayan. Head referee Ramy Touchan deemed it a denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and NYCFC saw themselves down to 10 men for the next 87 minutes. That helped the Crew eventually earn a 1-0 win over the Cityzens in an MLS opener for both teams. It was the third-fastest red card from the start of an MLS game and the earliest red we've seen in a season opener.

NYCFC adjusted to a 4-4-1 and fought off attack after attack from Columbus until the second half, when Zelarayan blasted a left-footed shot into the far upper 90 of the goal to put his side up 1-0 in the 56th minute. The Crew acquired the Argentinian attacking midfielder from Tigres UANL for a reported $7 million this offseason—the largest transfer fee in club history. Despite NYCFC's best effort, they weren't able to overcome the player deficit and the 1-0 scoreline stood after 90 minutes.

Portland vrs Minnesota United. Season opener in Providence Park. New back line for Portland and new #9- Mora.
    New #9 for MnU - Amarilla. Expecting a tough loss, but hoping for better. A new season begins.

Turn Off Ads?