Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Josef Martinez, torn ACL in season opener last night in Nashville.

Crappity crap crap.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Josef Martinez, torn ACL in season opener last night in Nashville.

Crappity crap crap.
    Awful. He’s really fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Portland vrs Minnesota United. Season opener in Providence Park. New back line for Portland and new #9- Mora.
    New #9 for MnU - Amarilla. Expecting a tough loss, but hoping for better. A new season begins.
    Minnesota crushed them.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Minnesota crushed them.
    Good road win for the lads. Timbers dominated the first 20 minutes and won the first half, but couldn’t score. Loons took their chances in the second half. It should have been 2-3. I did not see offsides on that 93 minute goal. Mora deserved it. Two long goalie kicks to the Portland box led to the second and third minnesota goals.
    Clark got his mitts on both but couldn’t handle the velocity. Man, he is quick. I think he was a top five goalie last year.
    Last edited by Betterread; 03-01-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From mlssoccer.com :

Sunday's match at MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio started off with a bang, but not one you would expect. Less than three minutes after the initial whistle kicked off the game, New York City FC center back Maxime Chanot was shown a red card for clipping the heel of Columbus Crew SC's newest attacking midfielder, Lucas Zelarayan. Head referee Ramy Touchan deemed it a denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and NYCFC saw themselves down to 10 men for the next 87 minutes. That helped the Crew eventually earn a 1-0 win over the Cityzens in an MLS opener for both teams. It was the third-fastest red card from the start of an MLS game and the earliest red we've seen in a season opener.

NYCFC adjusted to a 4-4-1 and fought off attack after attack from Columbus until the second half, when Zelarayan blasted a left-footed shot into the far upper 90 of the goal to put his side up 1-0 in the 56th minute. The Crew acquired the Argentinian attacking midfielder from Tigres UANL for a reported $7 million this offseason—the largest transfer fee in club history. Despite NYCFC's best effort, they weren't able to overcome the player deficit and the 1-0 scoreline stood after 90 minutes.
    I always feel like I don't have much to add to this thread because what do I know about soccer, but just chiming in to say that Zelarayan goal was super sick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ap7_iXi2Go
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

7. Likes:

Yachtzee (03-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I always feel like I don't have much to add to this thread because what do I know about soccer, but just chiming in to say that Zelarayan goal was super sick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ap7_iXi2Go
    That goal and the Pavon goal were both excellent.

FC Cincinnati

To prosper, it needs college age fans and younger. So let's check their work so far:

1. Moving to West End, which is a pain to get in and out of, a parking nightmare, and surrounded by poverty. Much better than on a college campus, in a vibrant/affluent community or whatever. Maybe near where some young folks hang out at least? Nah.
    2. All games blocked from streaming services like YouTubeTV. So you either have to pay 250/yr, use an over-the-air antenna, or have a cable subscription. Sounds like a great way to attract those younger fans!
    3. They stink, and are a PR nightmare, presently.

Seriously... Without young fans, they are doomed. And in that regard, they are pooping the bed in almost every way imaginable. Stupid.

They had such momentum too.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 03-02-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I’m not a CCrew supporter but it is sad to see the end of Federico Higuain’s time with the club with his DC United signing,
    I always liked his game. He was technically sound and creative.
    Last edited by Betterread; 03-02-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    FC Cincinnati

To prosper, it needs college age fans and younger. So let's check their work so far:

1. Moving to West End, which is a pain to get in and out of, a parking nightmare, and surrounded by poverty. Much better than on a college campus, in a vibrant/affluent community or whatever. Maybe near where some young folks hang out at least? Nah.
    2. All games blocked from streaming services like YouTubeTV. So you either have to pay 250/yr, use an over-the-air antenna, or have a cable subscription. Sounds like a great way to attract those younger fans!
    3. They stink, and are a PR nightmare, presently.

Seriously... Without young fans, they are doomed. And in that regard, they are pooping the bed in almost every way imaginable. Stupid.

They had such momentum too.
    On point 1, the whole reason for choosing the West End site was because of its proximity to OTR. The idea is that supporters can march to games from the bars in OTR. The other options were Oakley and Newport. Staying in Nippert was not an option if the goal was MLS. MLS was not going to give Cincinnati the expansion slot without a soccer specific stadium locked down, and some say MLS specifically wanted the West End location. Staying in Nippert meant staying in the USL.
    2. Having an OTA option was praised by a lot of Cincinnati supporters, and antennae are cheap these days. The streaming deal with FloSports kind of stinks, but at least you can sign up and not have to worry about whether Sinclair is going to pull their RSNs from your favorite streaming service days before the season starts. The deal the Crew signed with TW/Spectrum when Precourt took over is still the worst deal ever. Imagine being required to get Spectrum, and if your local cable wasn't Spectrum, you're SOL.
    3. Point 3 is self-inflicted. They'll need to sort that out quick. New team/new stadium smell only lasts so long and it looks like the national networks have already moved on to the new bright, shiny objects.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 03-03-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

Bob Sheed (03-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I’m not a CCrew supporter but it is sad to see the end of Federico Higuain’s time with the club with his DC United signing,
    I always liked his game. He was technically sound and creative.
    It stinks, and he and Wil Trapp will always be loved for their leadership and for sticking with the Crew through the Save The Crew era. But the signings of Nagbe and Zelarayan were likely relegating them to the bench if they stayed. I think a lot of people were hoping Higuain would stay in some kind of coaching role.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    On point 1, the whole reason for choosing the West End site was because of its proximity to OTR. The idea is that supporters can march to games from the bars in OTR. The other options were Oakley and Newport. Staying in Nippert was not an option if the goal was MLS. MLS was not going to give Cincinnati the expansion slot without a soccer specific stadium locked down, and some say MLS specifically wanted the West End location. Staying in Nippert meant staying in the USL.
    2. Having an OTA option was praised by a lot of Cincinnati supporters, and antennae are cheap these days. The streaming deal with FloSports kind of stinks, but at least you can sign up and not have to worry about whether Sinclair is going to pull their RSNs from your favorite streaming service days before the season starts. The deal the Crew signed with TW/Spectrum when Precourt took over is still the worst deal ever. Imagine being required to get Spectrum, and if your local cable wasn't Spectrum, you're SOL.
    3. Point 3 is self-inflicted. They'll need to sort that out quick. New team/new stadium smell only lasts so long and it looks like the national networks have already moved on to the new bright, shiny objects.
    1. Both Oakley and Newport are big hangouts for the young whipper-snappers. OTR is too, but conga-lining it from OTR to the West End doesn't seem like the smartest move to me. Then stumbling back from West End to your parked car in OTR, late night? Again...
    It could work if they had the infrastructure to support it. But they don't. Reminds me of how much better GABP is on the banks vs Broadway Commons where it almost ended up.
    My selfish wish that will never come to fruition, but would be absolutely incredible for all parties involved: Play at Nippert until 2026. That's when the Bengals lease is up at PBS. Relieve Mike Brown of the keys to the castle, send his dog and pony show onward to the next victims, and welcome FCC to their new home on the banks.
    2. Any way you slice it, the current deal is choking out potential fans 30 and under. Penny smart, pound foolish.
    3. I agree it's temporary. Hopefully. Berding and Company just don't seem like they know what they are doing. I hope I'm wrong.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Will be interesting to see what they do with the schedule. If this ends up being a 60 day thing they’ll have to redo the whole schedule and probably just go with the West playing the West and the East playing the East.

Well look what we have here...

Seelbach to FC Cincinnati: In light of coronavirus and city budget problems, give stadium money back

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...ck/5148544002/

That's grandstanding. Give it back, but we can't require it.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Turn Off Ads?