Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Columbus solidly outplaying New England in the 1st half, but it's 0-0. The danger the Crew is inviting is Carles Gil reliably makes a few big plays (had a fantastic ball over the top to spring a chance that went off the post). This game has got all the making of a smash-and-grab affair.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This EC final has always looked like a 1-0 game, and the Crew have the 1. About 10 minutes left and I will be surprised if there's a lot of drama.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Congrats to the Crew for getting back to the MLS Cup. Hope they win (no offense Betterread).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (12-06-2020)

“I kind of look for a story when I pick a job, and it's got to resonate,” Porter said after his side edged the Revs. “I need to take on a project and I’ve got to believe in it and I’ve got to feel like there's something to motivate me to give what I give, because not to be cliché but it's a 24 hours/seven days a week/365-days a year job and I sacrifice a lot for it and I give a lot and it's not easy, it's a grind.

“So I picked this job because I liked the story, the tradition of Columbus Crew being the first club, a tradition of success, and I liked the idea of reviving it, reinvigorating it, and it motivated me to come here, and obviously bring a trophy to their fans.”
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

M2 (12-06-2020),Redsfaithful (12-07-2020)

Congratulations to Columbus - holders of the eastern conference fiefdom. You have the talent to best the west and claim the national crown. Nice reversal from last year. You went out and improved the team talent level and are healthy and confident.

For Minnesota vrs Seattle, I am looking forward to the latest test. Seattle are defending champs, with two days extra rest. They are the current MLS dynasty. Hopefully, Ozzie Alonso, our talisman, will play well. He has the motivation.
    Ozzie’s last play as a sounder in 2018 was to miss a PK vrs Portland. Ozzie missed and Portland celebrated on Seattle’s home field and advanced to the conference final, where they beat SKC to go to the Cup final. This is the background to Schmetzer’s “I feel better than Bob” comment after last year’s western conference final victory over LAFC (and Bob Bradley).
    Last edited by Betterread; 12-07-2020 at 06:21 PM.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-07-2020)

Seattle showed their mettle and came back to win 3-2. The starting 11 was down 0-2 after 70 and the three offensive subs Bruin, Svensson and Leerdam changed the game. Minnesota does not have similar depth. Difference in the game.
    Well played game. Seattle deserved the win, they were relentless, even when they weren’t attacking effectively.
    Reynoso was POTM for Minn., with a beautiful free kick goal and an assist on another free kick.
    Also Minnesota played with three days rest while Seattle had five days, and no rotated players because we don’t have that depth on the squad.

I went to bed and Minnesota was up 2-0 with like 20 minutes to go, so this was surprise to wake up to!

12. Likes:

M2 (12-08-2020)

Nagbe and Santos are both out for the Crew for the final.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Nagbe and Santos are both out for the Crew for the final.
    That’s unfortunate, both for your squad and for how open the game is. I expect you to park the bus and put 8 guys behind the ball, and play for moments of inspiration from your 9 and 10. I think that Seattle now has the talent advantage, with the loss of those two, that it didn’t clearly have before.

So, Seattle is favored. That will only raise the level of Columbus' game.

My prediction:

2-1 Columbus

Champions!
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

17. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (12-13-2020),Chip R (12-12-2020),Kingspoint (12-12-2020),schmidty622 (12-12-2020),Yachtzee (12-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Champions!
    Seattle came in expecting Columbus to sit back and try to break on them. Crew instead overloaded the midfield and punched them in the mouth. Electric first half and did what they needed to do in the 2nd.

Oh, and Zelarayan is a boss.

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-12-2020),Yachtzee (12-13-2020)

What's that sound I hear all the way from Columbus, Ohio?

21. Likes:

Yachtzee (12-13-2020)

Real life Major League.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

23. Likes:

Chip R (12-14-2020)

What a game! What a season! Still just letting it sink in. To be honest, when I heard Nagbe and Santos would be out, it made me think of when the Bengals lost Stanley Wilson right before the Super Bowl, except that Nagbe and Santos are much more crucial to the Crew than Wilson was to the Bengals. I wasn't expecting much from Morris, just hoping he could be enough of a nuisance to keep Lodeiro and Ruidiaz off their games. He did much better than that and played a key roll in the Crew's offense and keeping Seattle from playing through the middle.

Zelarayan still amazes me. Not just his goals, but how he was able to get position on Seattle's defenders, hold them off despite his smaller frame, and receive the ball with such a deft touch.

And just the willingness of everyone on the team to track back and pressure on defense. Solid play all around. Man, I love this team.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

25. Likes:

Betterread (12-13-2020),Kingspoint (12-13-2020),M2 (12-13-2020),paintmered (12-14-2020),Redsfaithful (12-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?