Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds @ Twins 4-29-18

Re: Reds @ Twins 4-29-18

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's not about Winker. It's about Tyler Mahle. Schebler in CF and WInker in RF qualifies as substandard working conditions for any Reds pitcher. The OF rotation Ill conceived with this group of outfielders.
    If you want to maximize conditions for Mahle then Gennett and Winker should both sit or DH. There’s a trade off when Hamilton sits, but today the choice was more offense.

Besides, if you look at Mahle’s numbers, the major problem is HRs allowed. If he keeps the ball in the stadium he should be all right.

2. Likes:

Reds Freak (04-29-2018)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Of course Duvall is likely to get “better,” it would be difficult to be worse. He’s a deeply flawed player who hasn’t been a decent hitter since last June. He needs to be benched. His trade value will never increase because the league knows exactly what he is, which is bad.
    I have to agree about Duvall. His trade value is probably run of the mill middle reliever. The kind you can get for cheap every year. Not sure investing PT in him for the sake of trade value makes any sense. I culd see the argument that Winker, Schebler, Votto, Gennett, Hamilton and Barnhart (both Switch Hitters better from the LH side) makes the line-up too left handed and they want the RH power bat in there, but that is more of a win today's game argument and the Reds have proven over and over that winning any individual game simply doesn't matter to them or the roster wouldn't be so floawed in the first place. The priority needs to be Mahle and that means no Schebler in CF and no Winker in RF. I'd be fine with Herrera in CF if they think Billy needs to sit.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-29-2018 at 01:30 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (04-29-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you want to maximize conditions for Mahle then Gennett and Winker should both sit or DH. There’s a trade off when Hamilton sits, but today the choice was more offense.

Besides, if you look at Mahle’s numbers, the major problem is HRs allowed. If he keeps the ball in the stadium he should be all right.
    Extra hits allowed, extra base runners, extra pitches isn't the way a team should be breaking in a 23 year old starter. The rebuild will only go as far as the starters take it. The Reds should do all they can to remove every obstacle. I agree about Gennett and Winker. I'd be shopping both along with Duvall and Schebler. At least two need to go, maybe three. Poor planning over the winter means they are stuck with this group of players, but they don't have to play Schebler in CF or Winker in RF though when one of the young arms is on the mound. They can experiment when Bailey starts.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Extra hits allowed, extra base runners, extra pitches isn't the way a team should be breaking in a 23 year old starter. The rebuild will only go as far as the starters take it. The Reds should do all they can to remove every obstacle. I agree about Gennett and Winker. I'd be shopping both along with Duvall and Schebler. At least two need to go, maybe three. Poor planning over the winter means they are stuck with this group of players, but they don't have to play Schebler in CF or Winker in RF though when one of the young arms is on the mound. They can experiment when Bailey starts.
    You’re so worried about Mahle’s outfielders but you’re willing to play Rosell Herrera in CF. Sight unseen. Odd.

The Reds went with a more offensively based lineup today after their multiple offensive failures yesterday. It’s fine. Someday if they have more two-way players who excel both offensively and defensively they won’t have these choices to make.

Of course Duvall is likely to get “better,” it would be difficult to be worse. He’s a deeply flawed player who hasn’t been a decent hitter since last June. He needs to be benched. His trade value will never increase because the league knows exactly what he is, which is bad.
    This is inaccurate. From July to September last year, Duvall put up a .710 OPS. It really has just been the last two months, September 2017 and April 2018 that he has been terrible. And this April's slump is defined more his below .200 BABIP than anything else. The rest of his stats are the same as when he's been productive.

You are basically reacting like most fans, they see him in a slump and assume he sucks. But he should get back to being a solid, league average LF soon. That happens by playing regularly.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is inaccurate. From July to September last year, Duvall put up a .710 OPS. It really has just been the last two months, September 2017 and April 2018 that he has been terrible. And this April's slump is defined more his below .200 BABIP than anything else. The rest of his stats are the same as when he's been productive.

You are basically reacting like most fans, they see him in a slump and assume he sucks. But he should get back to being a solid, league average LF soon. That happens by playing regularly.
    I think he’s Chris Shelton.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Left fielder that hits in the middle of the order with a .710 OPS qualifies as terrible. He's not a SS or a catcher. I actually kind of like Duvall, he plays solid defense, he's not a TOOTBLAN waiting to happen and I like his power, but if Winker plays it's either as DH or LF for me and Scott Schebler doesn't play CF. One guy is a 30 year old stopgap at this point. The other was one of the team's top prospects who may very well play a large role in the future. The idea should have been to move one over the off-season. Rotating so the 2/3rds of the OF is playing a position they have no business playing with a rotation full of young starters is just stupid. Fantasy Baseball GM move IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You’re so worried about Mahle’s outfielders but you’re willing to play Rosell Herrera in CF. Sight unseen. Odd.

The Reds went with a more offensively based lineup today after their multiple offensive failures yesterday. It’s fine. Someday if they have more two-way players who excel both offensively and defensively they won’t have these choices to make.
    I'll give you that Herrera isn't ideal out there either and his minor league resume isn't long with CF play, but it keeps Schebler and Winker from playing CF and RF respectively. I'd just play Billy when the kids are on the mound, if he's healthy. He can get his rest when Bailey pitches.

Winker just missed there deep fly out to left

- - - Updated - - -

Peraza singles to left center

4 pitch walk to Votto

Why does Scooter bat cleanup with Suarez healthy? Schebler as well.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-29-2018)

Scooter grounds into a 4-6 FC. 1st and 3rd

Why does Scooter bat cleanup with Suarez healthy? Schebler as well.
    27 HRs, 97 RBI
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-29-2018)

Suarez doubles to left. 1-0 Reds!

20. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-29-2018)

Geno is #good
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

22. Likes:

Red Raindog (04-29-2018),RedTeamGo! (04-29-2018)

Turn Off Ads?